Speculation: Likelihood of Oilers acquiring forward help

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well as it stands today the entire 1st line is out with injury or suspension.

Holland probably realizes that with the Pacific being as tight as it is the Oilers can't afford a 3-4 game losing streak. So what does he do?

I *think* he might go after guys like Duclair and Pageau from the Sens. Those are players who would provide immediate help. It's clear that Holland isn't going to deal this years 1st to do it. What would he have to give up in a trade like this? What other players are available?

Looking for a 3C and a top 6 or perhaps a middle 6 winger.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Lot's of options. Kapenen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Coleman, Pageau, Duclair, Ennis, Granlund, Smith, Jarnkrok, Kreider, Athanasiou, Kase, Tatar, Kovalchuk, etc. Most won't be traded, but there are plenty of players to look for.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't think you acquire Duclair and Pageau for spare parts. Pageau would likely garner a 2nd + good prospect. Duclair's value is interesting because he's an RFA. I don't think Ottawa has an interest in dealing him so it's probably going to take a nice package to snag him.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Holland probably realizes that with the Pacific being as tight as it is the Oilers can't afford a 3-4 game losing streak. So what does he do?

I *think* he might go after guys like Duclair and Pageau from the Sens. Those are players who would provide immediate help. It's clear that Holland isn't going to deal this years 1st to do it. What would he have to give up in a trade like this? What other players are available?

3C (Kerfoot)...top 6 winger (Kapanen)....all we need is a top 4 RHD...talk to me.:thumbu:

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Lot's of options. Kapenen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Coleman, Pageau, Duclair, Ennis, Granlund, Smith, Jarnkrok, Kreider, Athanasiou, Kase, Tatar, Kovalchuk, etc. Most won't be traded, but there are plenty of players to look for.

except that the majority of those pieces won't be traded for late second and meh prospects. That should probably eliminate a lot of them.

Reactions: tmurfin

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This isn’t an all-in year for the oil. If they’re buying, they either need guys that are super cheap or are under team control beyond this season. JGP doesn’t meet either requirement.

Kerfoot is a reasonable target until they can add depth internally.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Donato is a middle six winger who has been playing better lately. Low cap hit. Somewhere around a 2nd should do it. MN can take back expiring salary...the more they have to eat, the higher the price, of course.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Derek Grant is your guy... he filled in as our 1c when kesler and getzlaf were injured last year(or maybe it was 2 years ago) .. you could hardly notice that we were missing our top 2 centers.

the last 2-3 seasons has become 1 giant blur of crap.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Draisatl is out?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I think you ask the right and the bigger Q, what are they willing to offer up to get the type of player they need.

Obviously Puljiarvi, Larson are the ones people talk about, but what are the other possible pieces? I doubt Broberg or Bouchard are in the conversation, but that's what I assume teams would ask for.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Oilers shouldn't buy too high considering McDavid is out, unless the Oilers manage to win all their games prior to the trade deadline.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
This isn’t an all-in year for the oil. If they’re buying, they either need guys that are super cheap or are under team control beyond this season. JGP doesn’t meet either requirement.

Kerfoot is a reasonable target until they can add depth internally.
Their bottom six is such an embarrassment they have to do something, just so as not to slap their fans, their few good players, and the league in the face. Playoffs or not, they ride this roster into the offseason and say "maybe next year" AGAIN it's disgraceful.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Johnsson is out long term. Not on our list during this season for sure.

I think you guys have some good suggestions. We aren't talking Taylor Hall, but good complementary pieces. I like what Duclair could bring, Kerfoot would probably be a much needed improvement at center on the 3rd line. I should have thought more clearly about Pageau, because you guys are right the Oilers aren't likely to go after any pending UFA rentals.

Jarnkrok is interesting. Coleman looks good.

Tartar is going to be too expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad