Likelihood of a CHL "Premier League"

Frankenrogers

Jan 3, 2013
Hamilton
What would you think the likelihood of a new junior league starting up to compete with the existing CHL leagues? I'm thinking more of a league of 6-10 teams with the strongest franchises. With a smaller pool the idea is that the league would be stronger. Any thoughts?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I hate the idea of a competing league, but I would love to see some sort of "Champions League", or generally some sort of Cup style, single elimination tournament that runs throughout the CHL season (think FA Cup).

However I am pretty sure logistics make it pretty much impossible. These teams don't have the money to be regularly flying across the continent for a single elimination game tournament.

goldengladiator

Oct 21, 2012
better idea:
get rid of the regional leagues and create a soccer-style relegation system with 3 leagues of 20 teams. The top 10 of division 1 stays there, bottom 10 drops to d2, top 10 d2 move up to d1, bottom 10 d2 drops to d3, top 10 d3 move up to d2, bottom d3 stays d3. Host city and 3 division winners play for memorial cup

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
better idea:
get rid of the regional leagues and create a soccer-style relegation system with 3 leagues of 20 teams. The top 10 of division 1 stays there, bottom 10 drops to d2, top 10 d2 move up to d1, bottom 10 d2 drops to d3, top 10 d3 move up to d2, bottom d3 stays d3. Host city and 3 division winners play for memorial cup

as previously mentioned, 3 words, location, location, location.

Halifax will never be in the same division as Vancouver. Doesn't make any logistical sense.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
better idea:

Enjoy riding the bus from Halifax to Vancouver because these teams don`t have the money to fly.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Since the WHL flies teams for the championship series, I wonder if the way to reformat the Memorial Cup is as follows:

(1) Secure TV rights and a better sponsorship in order to afford flights.

(2) Double round robin with the three champions.

For as much "heat" as I've read about the automatic slot for the cup hosts and the related troubles selling tickets, it seems this could be a better answer.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Enjoy riding the bus from Halifax to Vancouver because these teams don`t have the money to fly.

Vancouver does.

Since the WHL flies teams for the championship series, I wonder if the way to reformat the Memorial Cup is as follows:

(1) Secure TV rights and a better sponsorship in order to afford flights.

(2) Double round robin with the three champions.

For as much "heat" as I've read about the automatic slot for the cup hosts and the related troubles selling tickets, it seems this could be a better answer.

Don't teams already fly to the Memorial Cup?

As for the host slot and not selling tickets, it might be more difficult in some markets to sell tickets without the host team. Take Vancouver for example. Highest selling Memorial Cup, IIRC. But take the Giants out of it, and you probably only get 6-7000 max for Medicine Hat, Plymouth and Lewiston.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Split the WHL into 2 leagues, a prairie and a BC/US league. Have 12 teams each. Move a moribund OHL team to Nanaimo, Winnipeg or Thunder Bay. 4 league champs play for the mem cup.

andpro

Dec 30, 2009
Halifax, N.S.
This is a terrible idea for many reasons.

First and foremost the CHL is a developmental league, relegation/ promotion works well for professional league, but this kind of system would not work well for a league that focuses on development. you would have a lot of players opting to play NCAA and staying in Europe rather than play for a second tier team that would stunt their development.

Not to mention all of the small town teams that thrive off of local rivalries would suffer, interest would go down in these markets and a lot of the little guys will fold.

I say keep it the way it is, although the occasional (like once or twice a year per team) interleague game would be cool to see and may work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad