Proposal: Like the Marlins - Go for it Ottawa - CBJ

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
Formulated a big go for broke for 1 year deal!
Franchise never won a playoff series and could lose or overpay two of their best players without a significant post season run. So how about....

Wennberg, Savard, Nutivaara, Milano, and cap dump Dubinski, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd

For

Duchene, Karlsson, and cap dump Ryan 2022 1st (to compensate for Ryan’s last year on the books)
Additional picks/prospects either way to even out any shortcomings.

Ottawa gets a jump on a rebuild with decent cost controlled assets.

Columbus gets two upper tier talents to make a big one year run.

Ottawa moves $19.75 mil this year and gets $18.5 back. Ryan is one year longer than Dubinski, but could be this year’s Vanek if lined up with the right line-mates.

Lineup
Panarin Duchene Atkinson
Foigno PLD Bjork
Jenner Nash Anderson
Ryan and camp battle winners from Sedlack Davidsson Hanni Duclair Stenlund Robinson….???
Like the Florida Marlins in baseball, try to win it, blow it up, built again for another run.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If it's a signed Karlsson and you take out all the picks... Maybe.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's way too big, no real chance. I had a modified version of this I was floating around. It make more sense for both franchises. I don't see this being of all that much interest to either team, but certainly Ottawa. Throwing in the picks is just goofy, that pretty much takes us out of it.

There isn't much to like for either side and throwing in Dubinksy just makes it that much harder.

It's a big deal with too many points of contention for both sides.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
After this season (assuming Panarin leaves as a UFA), that leaves the Jackets with a tentative roster of...

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Nash-Anderson
Duclair-Ryan-Bjorkstrand
Abramov-Sedlak-Davidsson

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Kukan
Harrington-Carlsson

... and very little in the way of trade currency. Unless they win a Cup this season (which, by its very nature, is a long-shot proposal), it's hard for me to say it would be worth it. Also, Duchene might be cursed, so I'd stay away from him just to be safe.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Also, Duchene might be cursed, so I'd stay away from him just to be safe.

I don't care about the random depth charts. It's too much in flux, doesn't take into account trades and FA signings, and you are throwing in random prospects. It also assumes we can't or don't re-sign either of the main players and I don't know what Ryan that even is. If it's Bobby Ryan, he isn't a center.

Af far as Duchene, my reservations are gone about him. Good player and predictable. He'd be a nice addition.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think both Duchene and Karlsson need to be coming with pre-negotiated extensions in place for us to even consider this. If both players, Panarin, and Bobrovsky walk after this season, we’re a bottom dweller for the foreseeable future.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I don't care about the random depth charts. It's too much in flux, doesn't take into account trades and FA signings, and you are throwing in random prospects. It also assumes we can't or don't re-sign either of the main players and I don't know what Ryan that even is. If it's Bobby Ryan, he isn't a center.

Af far as Duchene, my reservations are gone about him. Good player and predictable. He'd be a nice addition.
Whoops, mixed up Bobby Ryan with Derek Ryan. Doesn't really matter, though, because the point of the depth chart exercise isn't to predict what it will actually look like, it's to see where improvements are needed. And by trading away Savard, Nutivaara and Wennberg, the answer is "a lot of places." If you don't trade for Duchene and Karlsson and Panarin walks, then you have to replace a first-line winger. If you do trade for those guys and Panarin walks, you have to replace, at minimum, two defensemen, a top-six center and a first-line winger, or else you've got bad/unproven players filling key spots. Obviously there's free agency and trades, but big-name free agents coming to Columbus isn't something I'd count on, nor is obtaining a genuine star through trade with a fairly thin prospect pool.

If Duchene and Karlsson come with extensions, then obviously it's a completely different situation (and we'd probably have to give up more than OP suggests). And I'd be entirely on board for bringing in Duchene and Karlsson if it could be done without dealing more than one important NHL player (it probably can't). But neither of those scenarios are what was proposed in this thread. And trading away three roster players, all signed for several more years, for two who are both UFAs after one year is the sort of thing that can cripple a franchise. There's a reason the Marlins aren't regarded as a model organization in MLB circles.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So we can have a lot of shiny names for one year, will have pretty much zero depth to back those names up, and most of them will probably be gone next year.

Can't say "hell ****ing no" fast enough.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I wouldn't mind going after Duchene.

But as it stands I think the Jackets have enough on their plates just trying to keep Panarin and Bobrovsky or find their replacement(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad