Liiga talk 2020-2021.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Kommentti: SM-liigaa uhkaa konkurssiaalto – rikkaat toivovat salaa, että korona valitsee ”oikeat uhrit”
Jääkiekon SM-liigan tulevaisuus uhattuna – "Nyt puhutaan siitä, miten tämä yhteisö säilyy hengissä"

Do you believe there will be full 60 games SM liiga regular season and playoffs 2020-2021.
I don't believe and 3 reasons for that.

1 Nobody can't say for sure how long this corona hell takes time.
2 SM liiga teams and SM liiga as a sport organisation isn't safe of global economy crisis
which can cause bankrupts.
3 Global economy crisis ( if / when it happens )
will force sport sponsoring companies to make drastic austerity measures around the world.
And the result is that SM liiga and SM liiga teams
will lose hundreds of thousands of euros sponsor and TV moneys.
As a result of that loss of revenue liiga teams have to cut their player budgets and player salaries.
The longer the Korona virus is in Finland and the state's state of emergency is in effect
then the more unlikely it is to not play all 2020-2021 SM liiga season

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWhiskeyThief

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If it leads to a greatly reduced league of 8-12 teams I'm all for it, the current format was broken already before the virus anyway.

Reactions: Exarz

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
RD Veeti Vainio, SaiPa (2015 NHL Draft, Columbus 5-141 Unsigned)

Playing in his first full Liiga season since playing 20 games with Espoo in 2015-16, he played a career-high 47 games and had some decent offensive numbers.

He turns 23 next month. Is there any interest in him as an NHL prospect or is his game more suited to either Finland or possibly the SHL or KHL?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Considering Liiga budgets aren’t that great to begin with, budgets will drop to what Telia is paying plus sponsorship. A drop of 40% is a certainty.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If it leads to a greatly reduced league of 8-12 teams I'm all for it, the current format was broken already before the virus anyway.

Haven't followed the league as closely since returning to the states. I'd imagine the expansion damaged the quality of play a bit but what other reasons do you have for saying the current format is "broken"?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not only are there way too many teams, but their hierarchy has also been thoroughly established with a whole class of perennial bottom-feeders with no fear of relegation. A reduced league with relegation would ensure better competition and still would give smaller teams a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->