Liiga playoffs 15-16

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
So now that the real playoffs are about to start i think we need this kinda thread.
The QF pairs are following:

HIFK - Pelicans

Injuries: HIFK: None - Pelicans: Blood

The material difference is huge and as HIFK fan the only thing im worried is how many players will be injured after the series since Pelicans has been known as kind of a goon team this season. As for Pelsu making upset im not worried at all.
Also i think Törmänen is waaay better coach than Matikaisen Pena.

Player to watch: Juha Leimu Pelicans. Was gonna go with Hintz first but Leimu is too interesting to pass. He is a powerplay monster with that slapshot and had 3 goals in 3 petty round games against KalPa, all from the point.

Prediction: HIFK wins 4-1

Kärpät - TPS

Injuries: Kärpät: Junttila,Puljujärvi,Pirnes - TPS: Setänen,Kumeliauskas,Tukonen

Again huge material difference and again superior coaching for Kärpät. Only question mark with Kärpät IMO is goaltending, i know Rajaniemi been good for them as loan (15gp or so?) but im not yet certain he can steal them big games. Newer the less Kärpät is gonna steamroll over TPS with that offense. Tough TPS old guns are waking up for the spring but its not gonna be enough.

Player to watch: Tomi Kallio TPS. I could have also gone with professor Aho here, but the petty round against Sport was so impressive for this old boy, putting up 5 points in 2 games. Obviously its gonna be harder against Kärpät but look for him to still generate some offense.

Prediction: Kärpät wins 4-1

Tappara - Lukko

Injuries: Tappara: None - Lukko: Niskala

Now this seems more even. Lukko got top guns almost equal to Tappara and might get edge for goaltending if zapo can keep his game up. But i think Tappara is more balanced up front and might get small edge on D also it seems Lukko #1 D is injured. Id say Tappara is a slight frontrunner but its real close, could go either way.

Player to watch: Patrik Laine Tappara. Went with the obvious choice here, but he is the most interesting player in the series. Interesting to see if he can still score in that phase in PO, since it might be harder for youngsters.

Prediction: Tappara wins 4-3

JYP - SaiPa

Injuries: JYP: Kemiläinen,Niku,Vainio - Saipa: Koho,Henderson,Strömberg,

Another close one. JYP seems to be better build for PO hockey but SaiPa got better top guns. Also i would give coaching edge to SaiPa since im pretty high on Tirkkonen. Goaltending is close but i would give slight edge to JYP. Markkanen is good and all and got another strong season on his belt, but he is already 40 and that might show. Also their backup is Mestis level atm. JYP got two good goalies and they can run the hot hand. D is pretty close but ill give a slight edge to JYP if they get Kemiläinen back, tough Kalteva, Yonkman etc might be enough to give them that edge. This could also very well go either way.

Player to watch: Sam Lofquist SaiPa. Like Leimu Lofquist is also a lethal PP weapon with even harder shot than Leimu. He played kinda bad at the end of the RS and was downright liability in his own end. But if this guy gets his s**t together u better watch out!

Prediction: SaiPa wins 4-3

NOTE! Some of the injuries might be incorrect since they are mostly from liiga homepage. If so please inform.

So those are my predictions for QF. Hopefully we get other predictions and lots off discussion here!

Last edited:

Blasb

Feb 27, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Yeah hopefully HIFK can get through this round with few injuries, as I agree with your assessment on that being the greatest threat from this series vs Pelicans. I really feel HIFK can make a solid run at the Kanada Malja this year, injuries though being the greatest threat to that run :popcorn:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Kärpät - TPS

Injuries: Kärpät: Junttila,Puljujärvi,Pirnes - TPS: Setänen,Kumeliauskas,Tukonen

Again huge material difference and again superior coaching for Kärpät. Only question mark with Kärpät IMO is goaltending, i know Rajaniemi been good for them as loan (15gp or so?) but im not yet certain he can steal them big games. Newer the less Kärpät is gonna steamroll over TPS with that offense. Tough TPS old guns are waking up for the spring but its not gonna be enough.

What? TPS is one of the strongest in the league in terms of player quality and depth, so I don't think there are any teams that have a huge advantage against them. IMO they have enough quality to challenge Kärpät if they play up to their capacity(which they haven't really done this season), and could be a dark-horse this year. I don't think they're likely to advance, but I don't think they're going to be steamrolled either. They're an experienced team with strong special teams, and their physicality might make life difficult for Kärpät.

As for the other series, they seem very interesting and closely matched. IFK should obviously handle Pelicans with ease, but they often have problems playing as the favourite(though this season they've been ruthless against weaker opposition). Very pleased that there's really only one series where one side has no business winning.

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
what an entertainment. first time im sad i cancelled my ruutu+ subscription few weeks back.

how can you even get 5+20 TWICE on a same player?

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
how can you even get 5+20 TWICE on a same player?

It's quite simple really: just do something stupid before they can get you off the ice.

Really though... That has to be some next-level agitation Kärpät pulled on them, or maybe they're just that dumb(looking over the list of names, I'm inclined towards the latter).

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
HIFK in total meltdown mode. I was surprised it didn't happen sooner tbh. Right now it looks like they'll lose the series against Pelicans... Never change.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
:cry: I really hoped it wouldn´t happen but yes it aint looking good for HIFK right now

Yeah seems highly that the team is out of Törmänen's control.
And the players like Ramstedt,Zaborsky,Taimi, Liivik, Taipalus wont give a **** for team game etc.

Let's see next 2 games how this end but if / when HIFK lose and gets eliminated.
GM Jukka Valtanen and Chairman Timo Everi should start consider to fire sport manager Tom Nybondas.

He can't do his job well and he's wrong guy in wrong position.
Also his track record in longer period is mediocre( before Törmänen's time) with signing solid liiga fit players .

If Nybondas would be NHL GM he would have been fired long time ago.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
HIFK in total meltdown mode. I was surprised it didn't happen sooner tbh. Right now it looks like they'll lose the series against Pelicans... Never change.

Nothing new this is have been normal HIFK since 4-0 meltdown against Jokerit spring 2012. Totally embarrassing and unforgivable.
HIFK is right now 3,2 million euros joke unfortunately the joke is so lousy and it wont get me laugh.

GM Valtanen and Chairman Everi please FIRE TOM NYBONDAS.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Nothing new this is have been normal HIFK since 4-0 meltdown against Jokerit spring 2012. Totally embarrassing and unforgivable.
HIFK is right now 3,2 million euros joke unfortunately the joke is so lousy and it wont get me laugh.

GM Valtanen and Chairman Everi please FIRE TOM NYBONDAS.

It goes way further back than 2012, and the reasons for it are way beyond Nybondas... I'll just leave it at that...

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It goes way further back than 2012, and the reasons for it are way beyond Nybondas... I'll just leave it at that...

Yes it will go.

Hopefully Törmänen has done perfectly clear that there's no room for slackers in HIFK's playoff roster.
Luttinen is captain so he must show his example and leadership for this situation.

Too bad that Luttinen isn't same-kind leader what Peltonen was 2010- 2011.
And HIFK has lacked for leadership since Peltonen retired.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think you guys are overreacting a bit. Pelicans still has two more wins to gain to win the series, which I really doubt happens.

It's also a good thing that the top regular season teams are facing some adversity, instead of walk in the park'ing it to the next round. Tappara/Lukko & JYP/SaiPa have been tight series as well and could easily be in the same 2-2 situation.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I think you guys are overreacting a bit. Pelicans still has two more wins to gain to win the series, which I really doubt happens.

It's also a good thing that the top regular season teams are facing some adversity, instead of walk in the park'ing it to the next round. Tappara/Lukko & JYP/SaiPa have been tight series as well and could easily be in the same 2-2 situation.

We probably are, but the thing is that we've seen this before... It's in the club's blood. They're the club that makes a complete mess of things in situations where they shouldn't be having any trouble at all. Plus despite yesterday's game being relatively close and getting more shots on Tuesday, half the team(and an important half at that) have gone into complete panic the moment they concede the tying goal -- obviously a very bad sign even if they manage to go through in this series... And if that wasn't enough, the opposition has a lot of momentum going, their goalie is playing with confidence, and some of their players are starting to pick up on that "playoff hero" vibe. Just bad signs all over.

Now, I hope with all my heart that they can get their heads on straight and start playing like we all know they can again. If they can do that, they win, easy peasy, no problemo. And there's a good chance they'll do just that. The reason for that rather dramatic reaction is that the last two games have had a distinct taste of history repeating itself to them... and we've had more than enough of that history for one lifetime.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
HIFK did it they eliminated Pelicans 4-2 in liiga playoffs and next game is this Friday against JYP.
Tappara and Kärpät will face each others again 3rd straight year.

Which teams of TOP4 goes to finals any predictions?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Dating back to 2007-08 (2006-07 being the last time that they've missed the playoffs), JYP has made the medal rounds 7/9 times.

Pretty impressive.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
HIFK did it they eliminated Pelicans 4-2 in liiga playoffs and next game is this Friday against JYP.
Tappara and Kärpät will face each others again 3rd straight year.

Which teams of TOP4 goes to finals any predictions?

HIFK - JYP:
IFK has the more skilled players, and is the stronger team on paper. However Pelicans gave them way too much trouble, and the way they reacted to adversity was not convincing at all. They will need to better against JYP, who dispatched a much stronger opponent without too much trouble. JYP is a very hard-working and strong-willed bunch with tons of experience, and they can challenge anyone in a 7-game series(see last year vs. Kärpät). A lot will depend on whether we see the HIFK from games 1-3 or 4-6 in the Pelicans series. If it's the former, I like their chances, if it's the latter... Not so much.

Kärpät - Tappara:
Another close series between two strong teams. Recent history obviously favours Kärpät, but Tappara has the advantage of two extra days of rest and preparation. Kärpät also had their hands full with TPS, and even had some of their leading players scratched from some of the matches. Tappara on the other hand beat Lukko(not a bad team at all) quite convincingly. Should be very close, can't really predict what'll happen between these teams until it's over.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
HIFK - JYP:
IFK has the more skilled players, and is the stronger team on paper. However Pelicans gave them way too much trouble, and the way they reacted to adversity was not convincing at all. They will need to better against JYP, who dispatched a much stronger opponent without too much trouble. JYP is a very hard-working and strong-willed bunch with tons of experience, and they can challenge anyone in a 7-game series(see last year vs. Kärpät). A lot will depend on whether we see the HIFK from games 1-3 or 4-6 in the Pelicans series. If it's the former, I like their chances, if it's the latter... Not so much.

Kärpät - Tappara:
Another close series between two strong teams. Recent history obviously favours Kärpät, but Tappara has the advantage of two extra days of rest and preparation. Kärpät also had their hands full with TPS, and even had some of their leading players scratched from some of the matches. Tappara on the other hand beat Lukko(not a bad team at all) quite convincingly. Should be very close, can't really predict what'll happen between these teams until it's over.

Well, when all is said and done - Karpat gets past Tappara and HIFK beats JYP. It's a tight series going to HIFK in the seventh game OT, the CWG scored by Roope Hintz.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I only hope that both Kärpät and Tappara get disqualified and they have to release Aho, Pulju and Laine to the national team. :sarcasm:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Quite an interesting start to both series.

HIFK briefly got their mojo back in the latter half of the first match, and then turned into a beer league team again tonight. Inconsistency is proving to be a huge issue for them, along with injury/illness problems. JYP hasn't really shown anything spectacular, but they are ruthless in exploiting their opponents' weaknesses. Their experience and physicality will also serve them well as the series goes on. Unless IFK can find a way to consistently play to their strengths, JYP have the advantage in this series.

In the other series Tappara have been surprisingly strong. Two convincing wins against the defending champions leave them in a commanding position in the series. If they close out the series early, I think they have to be favoured to win the finals. Will be interesting to see how Kärpät respond next week, though. Winning four out of five will be a hard task, but they are a quality team.

Right now Tappara looks like the favourite to (finally) win the championship, but of course there's a lot of hockey left to play.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Have to give props to Liiga for the schedule, game on every day from Monday to Saturday (if it goes that far).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad