Liiga 2020-2021

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Should've googled first, C More also not available outside the EU and it blocks VPNs.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Are you sure with the games being available on C More now? I know Telia had that weird Finnish adress thing or whatever it was, but I don't recall that being asked when I set it up for my dad a few years ago.. :dunno:

Telia's Q & A page says the broadcasts are available within the EU.

member 305909

There are too many teams in liiga but that problem will be solved as half of the teams will be bust during next few months.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
There is this never heard 6 foot 3 goalie;Rasmus Reijola, 27 years old, plays for Vaasan Sport, in the Sm-Liiga.
3 games this season, 3 wins with 3 SO's...

All is i can think is this

tenor.gif

member 305909

I'm surprised that JYP is going to be the first team to go bust during this corona-season. I was sure that Pelicans or Sport would have gone before.

However, a lot of them will go bust anyway so the order of that happening is not important.

It's going to be like a domino-theory; once the first team goes bust a lot more will follow.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
There is this never heard 6 foot 3 goalie;Rasmus Reijola, 27 years old, plays for Vaasan Sport, in the Sm-Liiga.

tenor.gif
NCAA has been great road fo Finnish goalies for the last decade. We are not talking about top notch prospects, but their career is turning pretty good. Olkinuora is doing well in KHL Tirronen was starter for few seasons in TPS and even played EHT. Kaskisuo is depth goalie in NHL. Lebedeff almost took starter job in HPK this season. And Reijola. Tolvenen didn´t have as big impact in Liiga as i thought, but still a pro career goalie.

member 305909

There absolutely needs to be fewer teams in liiga but the idea that any of the teams would agree to get relegated is pure fantasy.

Therefore the only way to reduce the number of teams is that some of them will go bust and cease to exist.

Too bad for JYP as I like them but good riddance to Jukurit or Sport.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015

tenor.gif

Before the liiga starts , think it was their other goolie who say that the new gooliecoach was an amazing wizard.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is Jesper Kokkonen eligible for Team Finland. His stats might not be impressing, but playing wise he is a monster, just a matter of time before the points is coming. A tough powerforward.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is Jesper Kokkonen eligible for Team Finland. His stats might not be impressing, but playing wise he is a monster, just a matter of time before the points is coming. A tough powerforward.

Yes, he played for the national junior teams in the past.

Hopefully he makes it, he was supposed to be a legit NHL prospect as a kid but never really developed until now.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yeah...Kärpät needs to fire their HC Mikko Manner.
- players playing out of their position, can't create a balance between d and o
they are a mess ATM

With that roster, only 5 regulation wins in 10 games
and 1,7 points per game... (3 points from W)

Not a Oulun Kärpät fan but...they really need to fire him, ASAP.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah...Kärpät needs to fire their HC Mikko Manner.
- players playing out of their position, can't create a balance between d and o
they are a mess ATM

With that roster, only 5 regulation wins in 10 games
and 1,7 points per game... (3 points from W)

Not a Oulun Kärpät fan but...they really need to fire him, ASAP.

I don't know if Kärpät have that good team. Obviously the 1st line is one of the best lines in the league if not the best but the forward group behind them isn't that impressive. Kristof, Koblizek, Jokinen are fine but inconsistent and Jokinen is regressing with age and Koblizek hasn't developed as well as some might have hoped. Kuokkanen has been disappointing considering his experience and Räty hasn't done much although he hasn't been given a big opportunity to excel. Metsävainio, Sailio, Mustonen, Hermonen etc. are basic fodder. Their defence is quite good with Heshka, Niemeläs, Byström, Sulak, but losing Kukkonen and Krejcik hurt them defensively a lot. Rybar and Annunen are both elite goalies.

Kärpät roster is good and certainly good enough to make the playoffs but when that 1st line isn't scoring, they have tough time winning games. Defence and goaltending will help them keep the games close though. Lukko and Ilves have better teams for sure and I think even Tappara has more depth at forward but they are struggling at the moment for some reason. They don't have any loan players though, which is good considering that most top teams do.

Keep in mind that Kärpät had to take a coronabreak for 12 days between their 5th and 6th games and have struggled to find their gametouch ever since. They haven't had Heshka or Sulak in the lineup since the break so they have been missing their top pairing for half of their games. That would hurt any team. Now they are playing Teppo and Ronkainen on their 2nd pairing, which isn't great and only Byström is able to provide offence from the backend.

Also, Kärpät have 6 wins this season one of which was an overtime win. So 6-4 isn't that terrible considering the circumstances. Out of those losses they lost 3 games by one goal. At the moment they are still 6th in the league in points and actually 4th based on points per game so that 1,7 PPG is not terrible at all.

Firing Manner would be an overreaction at this point. I think you are not seeing the big picture and twisting facts.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Haven't followed Liiga as closely as I did a few seasons ago but was surprised to see so many younger players in Karpat's lineup. Has that been normal lately or is that more due to the pandemic? When they were dominating the league they tended to have a veteran roster with maybe one or two high profile teenagers.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Haven't followed Liiga as closely as I did a few seasons ago but was surprised to see so many younger players in Karpat's lineup. Has that been normal lately or is that more due to the pandemic? When they were dominating the league they tended to have a veteran roster with maybe one or two high profile teenagers.

At least some of their players had corona so maybe those guys are still out? Heshka most likely and Sulak also missed 5 games straight. Also, they have been recycling players in their bottom 6 a lot from what I have seen. Aatu Räty has played some games but last game they gave a chance for Tuomaala to play. I think Teppo is banned for a game or two at the moment so with him and Heshka out they gave Puutio a chance.

I think they do have that kind of roster you are speaking of, but the high profile teenagers aren't producing.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
How the f are Kärpät third in a league when the whole team is a complete mess at the moment, have other teams really been that bad?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
JyP HT Jyvaskyla

Surprised to see so many drafted 19-21 year olds in the lineup when in past years it seemed the lineup was comprised of veteran players who were maybe a shade below NHL calibre players but were tactically sound and combined to play a strong team game.

Is that a shift in philosophy or generally reflective of Liiga as a whole?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
JyP HT Jyvaskyla

Surprised to see so many drafted 19-21 year olds in the lineup when in past years it seemed the lineup was comprised of veteran players who were maybe a shade below NHL calibre players but were tactically sound and combined to play a strong team game.

Is that a shift in philosophy or generally reflective of Liiga as a whole?
The team is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad