Ligue 1 2019-2020

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Feel bad for the guy. What else is he supposed to do in that situation? He’s sprinting back to his goal line because his goalies been beaten and he has no idea what’s happening behind him.
Not soil himself would’ve been a good option.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
PSG didn't have the best of preparations for the CL as they drew 4-4 with Amiens. Thet went down 3-0 with the young defenders being shaky and Thiago Silva looking like old age had finally caught up with him. Kael Kakuta showed glimpses with his goal and assist why he was years ago such a highly rated youngster.

Tuchel bringing on Verratti and Marquinhos at half time turned the game in PSG's favour and when they were leading 4-3 near the end, Cavani somehow missed a sitter and Amiens equalized in the dying seconds. Neither Mbappe nor Neymar played, though. Tall young CB Kouassi scored two nice headers from corners.

Lyon seems almost certain to miss out on Europe alltogether next season, so it's probably a good chance for other teams to lure away some of their best players like Aouar and Dembele.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
PSG's terrble defensive play continued against Bordeaux, and Thiago Silva was forced off with an injury early on. They still managed a 4-3 win with their good attacking play, but Neymar was sent off near the end for a second yellow. Entertaining games for sure, but mostly it's been an undisciplined and unorganized mess lately.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
but Neymar was sent off near the end for a second yellow

So, he gets suspended again, right before Rio's carnaval week and his sister's birthday eh?

It's the 6th straight season he's "out" at the end of February. 2015 and 2016 he was suspended, 2017-2018-2019 he was injured, now he's suspended again.

Reactions: Cassano and gary69

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Will Ligue 1 matches take place behind closed doors tomorrow?
(Or with fewer than 5000 people watching)

I see that the restrictions only apply to indoor events so far. But if cases rise dramatically in the next week or two, that could change.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

There is a huge controversy over Saliba's return to Arsenal. His loan spell at ASSE officially expired last night, but there was hope that'd be allowed to play in the club's first Coupe de France final since 1982.

1. As part of the loan fee, Arsenal owe ASSE 2.5m if Saliba starts 17 matches. He's currently at 16.
2. St. Etienne have a Coupe de France vs. PSG later this month, Saliba is their top defender.
3. Arteta commented yesterday that he believed a cup final experience for him would be invaluable and wants to see it.
4. Arsenal refuse to let Saliba go unless ASSE waive the 2.5mil owing for his 17th start.
5. St. Etienne went public, deeming it 'absolutely unacceptable' that Arsenal are recalling Saliba and preventing him to play in the final.
6. Arsenal released their own public statement that they were trying to negotiate a deal to have Saliba play in the final, but they were expected 'not to be financially disadvantaged by extending the loan'.

Now it seems the teams are trying to reach a compromise.

On the surface, I felt it was a poor look on Arsenal to prevent a player from playing in the final of his boyhood club. But after reading into it, they aren't obligated to have him play anyways as part of the agreement.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

There is a huge controversy over Saliba's return to Arsenal. His loan spell at ASSE officially expired last night, but there was hope that'd be allowed to play in the club's first Coupe de France final since 1982.

1. As part of the loan fee, Arsenal owe ASSE 2.5m if Saliba starts 17 matches. He's currently at 16.
2. St. Etienne have a Coupe de France vs. PSG later this month, Saliba is their top defender.
3. Arteta commented yesterday that he believed a cup final experience for him would be invaluable and wants to see it.
4. Arsenal refuse to let Saliba go unless ASSE waive the 2.5mil owing for his 17th start.
5. St. Etienne went public, deeming it 'absolutely unacceptable' that Arsenal are recalling Saliba and preventing him to play in the final.
6. Arsenal released their own public statement that they were trying to negotiate a deal to have Saliba play in the final, but they were expected 'not to be financially disadvantaged by extending the loan'.

Now it seems the teams are trying to reach a compromise.

On the surface, I felt it was a poor look on Arsenal to prevent a player from playing in the final of his boyhood club. But after reading into it, they aren't obligated to have him play anyways as part of the agreement.

At the end of the day 2.5 million is 2.5 million. I think it's fair that Arsenal expect the fee to be waived. And what if Saliba suffers an injury? Then what? Also, pardon my ignorance, but why wasn't the final played earlier? At the end of the day I think the fee being waived and the player playing in the Final is a fair compromise.

Reactions: Cassano

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
If the league had continued/resumed Arsenal would have paid the 2,5 anyway, so now they are just being cheapskates. Not paying would probably hurt them more in the long run with clubs not trusting to do business with them unless they pay more up front.

This might also make Saliba's Arsenal career start on the wrong foot in his relationship with the club executives.

Reactions: Blender

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

It's also just a major risk for his health. Especially with the start of the next Premier League season starting up so soon after the conclusion of this one. Going to need him to be healthy and ready to go!

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's also just a major risk for his health. Especially with the start of the next Premier League season starting up so soon after the conclusion of this one. Going to need him to be healthy and ready to go!
It's one game and any play can get hurt in any game or even non game. Why loan him out if that's the worry. The idea of loaning is to get the player some experience. This is it

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If the league had continued/resumed Arsenal would have paid the 2,5 anyway, so now they are just being cheapskates. Not paying would probably hurt them more in the long run with clubs not trusting to do business with them unless they pay more up front.

This might also make Saliba's Arsenal career start on the wrong foot in his relationship with the club executives.

I think the bolded is highly doubtful. However I do agree with the last line. I'd talk to Saliba and see what he wants, which I'm sure is to play in the Final, and then I'd still look to compromise with ASSE. Like I said, 2.5 million is 2.5 million and Arsenal aren't doing anything wrong here.

Reactions: Cassano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad