News: Lightning will not bring back UFA Chris Kunitz

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Didn't watch him much last season, but he didn't look washed up in the playoffs as far as skating ability and positional play. Is he too old to fill a 3rd line role in the NHL? Hands or shot gone? Oilers could use some locker room wisdom.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Kunitz will land somewhere for sure. He's getting up there in age but that type of knowledge and experience would help some bottom 6's.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Didn't watch him much last season, but he didn't look washed up in the playoffs as far as skating ability and positional play. Is he too old to fill a 3rd line role in the NHL? Hands or shot gone? Oilers could use some locker room wisdom.

His last year with Pittsburgh he had declined to the point of being a 4th liner that occasionally got elevated in certain situations. Still added value (see Ottawa va Pit game 7 overtime goal) but his time as a consistent contributor was over. Seems like Tampa used him much the same way.

Kunitz has 4 Stanley Cup rings to his name, and could still play some limited minutes in the bottom 6, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a young team to add some veteran leadership. I don't see him going to a contender though and wherever he goes, don't expect a lot of production on the stat sheet.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, he’s still an NHL-caliber player and should end up with a spot somewhere. We’re just better off making room for some more young guns with the potential for more production than Kunitz can provide at this point in his career.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He’s a solid fourth line player. If he is willing to take $1.5 or less, some team will sign him.

Reactions: iSophagus

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Fair play for him carrying on i am sure someone will take him. He started off well and chipped in with a few points seemed to struggle towards the end of the season. good luck to him

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He was ok. Brought experience to the team and was able to chip in offensively from a 4th line role during the reg season. Disappeared on the score sheet in the playoffs but a lot of our team did. Not surprised we arent bringing him back.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He's got a Dan Cleary feel to him at this point. Holland probably won't be able to help himself.

Reactions: Rasmi

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A short term cheap contract, where he is expected to play a limited bottom six role, would be a great move for Vancouver.

The Benning move will likely be 3x5 and have take over for Baertschi, who we don3t sign as a result.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Uhh where you watching the broadcast .. because according to pierre he was the whole reason the bolts were dominating the bruins.. in fact he was so annoying i had to switch to the canadien broadcast
Yeah no. Brayden Point was the reason we dominated you guys. Callahan and Paquette were good tho

Reactions: AndreRoy

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Interesting to see WHY he's looking to keep playing. If he's chasing another Cup, he'll have a tough market, unless he signs SUPER cheap (not really good enough for a contending team). If he just doesn't want to hang them up yet, though, I can see a rebuilding team with a lot of youth (like the Rangers, Isles, Arizona, etc) bringing him in to help get the kids started on the right track/attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->