OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Wow, seriously can't even make a joke about the Leafs now. HFBoards is basically becoming a place where we must protect the snowflakes.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Blazing Buffalo Roasted Chicken deli slices from Publix + Mrs. Dash table blend on toasted wheat tastes like a Dorito sandwich.

edit: heh, AGDQ is on.
Games Done Quick

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Epic Games store will be offering 'What Remains of Edith Finch' (Metacritic score of 89) for the next two weeks. Super Meat Boy is still available free for what should be a few more hours.

edit: I completed the game (it's only about 2-3 hours). It's melancholy and revolves around the death of the protagonist's family members, some of which are quite young, so it won't be for everyone.

Epic Games is one to watch methinks. It was just announced Steam isn't getting The Division 2 on PC, only Epic and Uplay are. Uplay is awful, but Epic seems to have it's onions together and takes a smaller cut than Valve/Steam. Epic is also offering a consistent lineup of really good free games. Valve is getting some legit competition.

edit: First person platformer A Story About My Uncle is also free for the next two days at the Humble Bundle Store.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDBolt

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
The Troxler Effect and the Disappearing Image
If you stare at this image for 20-30 seconds, it should fade away until it completely disappears. I found that it is not quite that simple, but I eventually got it to work.
This is called the Troxler effect, after the man who discovered it; what happens is that your visual system constantly adapts to all the external stimuli. This is why after spending a few moments in the dark, you start to see a little better. This capability allows you to be in different lighting conditions, while still maintaining a pretty accurate estimate of the lightness and colour of objects.
The caveat is that you must keep your gaze completely still. The slightest flick of the eye will make the colors come back. It may help if you place your cursor on the image and focus on the cursor to keep your eye in place. This particular image works because there are no lines or angles to draw your attention. It might also help to close one eye

1547085938-0.jpg

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Wow, seriously can't even make a joke about the Leafs now. HFBoards is basically becoming a place where we must protect the snowflakes.
I still don't have the ability to like posts because someone was talking bad about Tampa and I said "That's coming from a Leaf fan so do with that information what you will".

Board is wild these days

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Eighth Grade was uploaded to Amazon Prime video in the past few days. It can't live up to the hype of movie of the year talk (I think IMDB's 7.5 is about accurate), but I'd recommend it despite it being a hard watch (intentionally). Bo Burnham (YouTube OG) didn't cheat in making this. It's about an isolated eighth-grade girl. It's not an informed loser/loner where they've really got a social circle. It's a character study and somewhat episodic and slow-paced seeing as people just sort of drift in and out.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Holy shit. Been prepping for a deposition of this senior executive for three months. Scheduled this week. It's January 20 and I've already billed 210 hours this month, and was going to top 300 hours this week.

They just cancelled the deposition.

I'm getting drunk.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Holy ****. Been prepping for a deposition of this senior executive for three months. Scheduled this week. It's January 20 and I've already billed 210 hours this month, and was going to top 300 hours this week.

I'm getting drunk.
More time for HFB!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Holy ****. Been prepping for a deposition of this senior executive for three months. Scheduled this week. It's January 20 and I've already billed 210 hours this month, and was going to top 300 hours this week.

I'm getting drunk.
While it sucks that your work won't be used, it also means that the quiz is canceled.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Humble Bundle with a nice bundle. Almost all things I've at least been meaning to play.
Humble Caffeine Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)

GoNNER is good for being at the dollar tier. It's neat to play around with, but it didn't have a lot of staying power with me.
This War of Mine is a quality experience. It's not 'fun' in the traditional video game sense, but if you like to make difficult/interesting decisions, it's worth it.
Dear Esther in there is sort of lame, but it was the first walking simulator to make a mainstream impact, so in that sense, it is at least a bit interesting as it inspired a sub-genre.
Headlander is a game where you are a disembodied head and swap robot bodies. Double Fine and Adult Swim had their hands in this. I haven't played this one yet.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Epic Games store now has free the first Jackbox Party Pack for the next two weeks.

The lineup:
You Don't Know Jack 2015
Fibbage XL
Drawful
Lie Swatter
Word Spud

These Jackbox packs made me curious a while back about their possible application to things like intermission entertainment. You can't allow fans' drawings or writing up on the jumbotron or they'll figure out how to make it about butts, but if a twitch streamer can already get hundreds of people doing trivia on their phones...

I do sort of worry the games would go on for too long, and therefore not need the overcomplication of fans playing on devices, etc.

edit- also, free Deponia: The Complete Journey
Get Deponia: The Complete Journey for free

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Twitch Prime members can get the brand new release Pikuniku for free the next few weeks. (74 overall on Metacritic)

It just got released yesterday for $13 on Steam.

It's another quite generous giveaway from Devolver Digital.

edit: just saw this bonkers documentary (language)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Steam loses another exclusive to Epic.
Epic Games Store snags Metro Exodus away from Steam [Updated]

I have a feeling that E3 this year will be very interesting on the PC side.

If Valve got back into creating great games themselves again, either through sequels or new IP, it'd probably assure them at least multi-platform releases. TF2, CS: GO, Left 4 Dead 2, and DOTA 2 are all regulars in the top-10 most played games on Steam, but the newest of those is from 2013. TF2 is from 2007. If Epic didn't have Fortnite, I don't think they'd be having this competition. Discord doesn't have its killer app, and it has a great revenue split, but with a low install/active user base, why put an exclusive there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad