OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Serves them right.
Twitter is sort of amusing with Kathleen Kennedy (Lucasfilm CEO) supporters. I mean, yes, she fired them, but she also hired them, and there's no end to the controversy due to a still promised Rian Johnson trilogy.

Kennedy also hired and then fired Lord & Miller, Josh Trank, Collin Trevorrow, Gareth Edwards, and James Mangold. She's not great at picking compatible directors (and then she leans into Johnson who made The Last Jedi). All these firings cost money as well. Solo had to basically be re-shot after Lord & Miller were fired. It was destined to never be able to make a profit because of that.

The official reason why 2D 'left' doesn't even reflect well on Star Wars. They left because they don't have time in their schedule for Star Wars. The franchise to them is a lower priority than their Netflix development deal.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Twitter is sort of amusing with Kathleen Kennedy (Lucasfilm CEO) supporters. I mean, yes, she fired them, but she also hired them, and there's no end to the controversy due to a still promised Rian Johnson trilogy.

Kennedy also hired and then fired Lord & Miller, Josh Trank, Collin Trevorrow, Gareth Edwards, and James Mangold. She's not great at picking compatible directors (and then she leans into Johnson who made The Last Jedi). All these firings cost money as well. Solo had to basically be re-shot after Lord & Miller were fired. It was destined to never be able to make a profit because of that.

The official reason why 2D 'left' doesn't even reflect well on Star Wars. They left because they don't have time in their schedule for Star Wars. The franchise to them is a lower priority than their Netflix development deal.
Shit they got a Netflix deal? What are those people who take decisions like that even watching? Or are they evaluating D&D only based on the early GoT seasons (when they had exceptional book material to lean on) and completely ignore the fiasco that the last season(s) were?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
2D (Benioff and Weiss) are leaving the next Star Wars trilogy.

They wrecked Game of Thrones specifically, so they could focus entirely on Star Wars.

Gemini Man flopped hard and is going to lose the studio a lot of money. Writing was also a major criticism.

People need to stop ruining Star Wars man..... leave Britn-- Star Wars alone!!!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
**** they got a Netflix deal? What are those people who take decisions like that even watching? Or are they evaluating D&D only based on the early GoT seasons (when they had exceptional book material to lean on) and completely ignore the fiasco that the last season(s) were?
I believe 2D were signed before season 8, although the show was very much showing cracks at that point. Season 6 was when the show started running out of GRRM material and season 7 in hindsight got a pass because we were expecting it to actually set something up, but that season was awful too.

Netflix signed these guys though during Season 8 though. It's a 5-year deal, but in TV development, that's a blip in time. They may only get one project during that.

Kathleen Kennedy got a 3-year extension at the same time she was expected to get canned. She still is, but good luck finding a CEO who wants to walk in on taking the credit for Ep. 9. There's also some identity politics at play that Star Wars and Lucasfilm has embraced that I won't get into.

Often, Emmy Awards on a show start piling up after the show's prime, so the last 3 seasons benefited from Emmy voters really awarding the earlier seasons.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
GoT prequel 'The Long Night' (the one with Naomi Watts) got canceled after HBO & GRRM saw a rough cut of the pilot. They immediately ordered a pilot for another prequel series be put into production.

The source I like on this is The Dragon Demands. I only found out about this channel a few hours ago, but his depth of knowledge on the source material & production leaks make his insights very interesting.

Moving on from The Long Night into something else (Dance of the Dragons) is a good thing.

edit:
Oh dang. HBO is going straight to series with a 10-episode order of 'House of the Dragon'.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can someone give me a quick guide to tell difference between Halloween costumes and the real things?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Can someone give me a quick guide to tell difference between Halloween costumes and the real things?
I'll dress up as myself. When people ask me what I'm supposed to be, I'll answer "I was supposed to be a lot of things" and cry a little.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I've been watching that The Dragon Demands channel, and the guy is a hoot. He puts up multiple part essays, going on for like 2.5 - 3 hrs at a time discussing why things didn't work, with exhaustive detail and sourcing, only to always come to the same conclusion (which the hardcore fanbase was warning us about). That every major deviation from GRRM was to Emmy-bait their favorite actors on the show. It was about setting the actor up to look good for awards (or at least, give *the actor* something to do. Story not being the concern.)

They then did not win acting Emmys because the writing wasn't strong enough.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
What I'm watching in Fall 2019...

Continuing shows: My Hero Academia, Food Wars, Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of the Underworld, Dr. Stone, Fire Force, High Score Girl II, We Never Learn

Beastars [Netflix/Fansubbed] - This is my anime of the season so far, unless they bungle it down the stretch. If you've seen Zootopia and wanted more, this is basically a much more mature, character drama centered version of it. It's about an animal society and high school where carnivores and herbivores are somewhat segregated. The main character, Legosi, is a shy wolf used to repressing his scary carnivorous traits and slowly coming to terms with them as he becomes more involved with his classmates through the course of his club duties and the drama unfolding around them. Really great world building and characterization here. The animation is CGI but it's so well done and capitalizes on its strengths. Look for this one in a couple months on Netflix if you don't want to dig up fansubs.

Houkago Saikoro Club (After School Dice Club) [Funimation] - A sentimental favorite and surprisingly better than I expected. This is a show about cute girls playing board games at its core, but it does a great job of tying in back story and developing the characters through the games they're playing! And yes, these are actual games they're playing so it's a cool way to check out new games to try if you're into board games yourself! It doesn't hurt that the story takes place in Kyoto and features plenty of Kansai dialect. Everything about this show just speaks to my aesthetics. I love it!

Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! (Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!) [Crunchyroll] - The isekai train keeps rolling. I like this one because the main character is female for once, and because it's pretty funny. As the title implies, the protagonist asks for their abilities to be average in their next life, as they felt alienated in their previous life by their academic prowess. Unfortunately average is taken literally and while her powers are mid level compared to an elder dragon, they are still vastly superior to anyone around her, lol. So much of the humor revolves around her trying to conceal her powers and failing miserably. There's also a lot of references to other anime that I greatly appreciate.

Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo (Are You Really the Only One Who Likes Me?) [Crunchyroll] - I'm a sucker for good harem shows, but this one is quite different... in a good way! The main character is a guy who plays himself off as being completely oblivious of girls advances, but just when it looks like he's about to succeed at getting confessions out of them, it all blows up in his face. Actually nobody is very likable in this one as they are all kind of scheming and selfish, and it plays out in hilarious ways. There's also a "mind-boggling" bench that might be one of the greatest anime villains of all time (ok so it's more of a running gag). The show has so many twists that it's almost impossible to tell what's going to happen next, so I'm hooked.

Hataage! Kemono Michi (Kemono Michi: Rise Up) [Funimation] - Another isekai. It's by the same guy that did Konosuba. Not quite as funny as that one, but still pretty silly. This time a pro wrestler named Animal Mask gets summoned to another world midfight. It turns out he's a huge animal lover, so while the kingdom wants him to slay monsters he ends up taming and collecting them instead. Nothing special but I really like the characters and humor of it.

Rifle is Beautiful (Chidori RSC) [HIDIVE] - I really only picked this up because it's a Studio 3Hz show. Honestly it's not that great. Very typical club slice of life show about girls in a rifle shooting club (that's laser beam rifles like you'll find in the Olympics, not air rifles or ones that shoot actual bullets). I'm hoping the competitions are more interesting but it's kind of hard to portray any real tension in this kind of thing when there's nothing physical to show.

Azur Lane [Funimation/Hulu] - This show is kinda cringey bad, lol. Only watch it if you're into the mobile game it's based on, as it's purely fan service for people who play it. There is a bit of a story that would be interesting if they properly focused on it, but they're so obsessed with cramming as many characters as possible into it to please everyone. The first couple episodes had some good action but the animation quality has dropped quite a bit as it goes on. As a Kantai Collection fan (the original shipgirl game that this is ripping off) it's just a train wreck I can't look away from, but Azur Lane fans sure like it.

BLACKFOX [Crunchyroll] - Technically a movie and not a show (though it was originally supposed to be one), but I'll also put it here since you can watch it on streaming. This is far more representative of what Studio 3Hz can do. It plays out like a comic book character's origin story flick, with really well animated and choreographed fight sequences. Definitely check this one out if you want to see a ninja girl kick some ass against telekinetic powers. It's a blast!

The latest KyoAni show I've completed:

Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary) - This title seems to be overlooked in the pantheon and that's a bit of a shame as it's really good! It's a lot more action-oriented than most of KyoAni's work, featuring various battles between Spirit Warriors and monsters called Yomu, which manifest because of humans' negative emotions. The fights are outstanding, the camera work and animation is so dynamic for a studio more known for slow developing slice of life shows, proving that they really can do anything they set their minds to. Mirai has quickly become one of my favorite characters of all time with how adorable her design and her mannerisms are. The only negative is the last couple episodes are crammed with so many plot points as to be confusing, but the good bits still shine through. Also the follow-up movie was excellent and more than made up for it.

I also finally made an anime list thing where you can check out my scores from previous seasons. I'm still slowly backfilling it. Burr11's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That moment when you realize AC's "on paper" avatar showed it getting crumpled up and thrown away into the Cup..... pretty sick foreshadowing of how the postseason went for us boys.

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Did you just now realize this? lol.

To be honest I never got behind the whole "paper" thing because I couldn't' for the life of me understand why everyone thought it was so funny and barely even looked at the avatars. Including my own. I don't even remember what mine said nevermind the animation. Did it out of solidarity.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The second Sonic movie trailer released yesterday. Our blue blur is looking way better now that Tyson Hesse (who made the Sonic Mania intro and Sonic Mania Adventures) took over the character design.

trailer comparison

What occurs to me with changing the drone color is while making it red does denote it's association with Robotnik (yes), it's easier to read. Sanic is about gotta going fast and having two blue blurs on screen could be difficult to follow. See the full trailer above for a brief clip from a chase at the Great Wall of China to see their distinct blurs.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I am both amazed at how much better it is (a lot of naysayers kept saying it would only be minor changes and still suck) and at how they thought the original was ever passable.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I am both amazed at how much better it is (a lot of naysayers kept saying it would only be minor changes and still suck) and at how they thought the original was ever passable.
I watched a few analysis videos and the discussion about Sonic's height seems to miss that Hesse stepped in after Marsden and Carrey had already filmed the bulk of their scenes. Sonic's height was already set, and therefore would inform the rest of the design.

I'm not sure where to lay blame for allowing the first design to go through. Hollywood doesn't treat video game adaptations with respect, and really neither does Sonic get much respect from Sega. Demanding that games be released well before they're ready to meet arbitrary deadlines (see Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom).

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think the first design they were so obsessed with making Sonic fit into our world and giving him as many human characteristics as possible that they forgot to actually make him look like Sonic. Feels like the hedgehog parts were an afterthought and they worked in a bubble with no outside feedback. The new one makes a ton of concessions to his cartooniness. And yet, it doesn't look TOO far out of whack. No monoeye at least. Still a pretty furry look.

My understanding is Sega has had minimal to no input on this.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the first design they were so obsessed with making Sonic fit into our world and giving him as many human characteristics as possible that they forgot to actually make him look like Sonic. Feels like the hedgehog parts were an afterthought and they worked in a bubble with no outside feedback. The new one makes a ton of concessions to his cartooniness. And yet, it doesn't look TOO far out of whack. No monoeye at least. Still a pretty furry look.

My understanding is Sega has had minimal to no input on this.
v1.0 does have a design-by-committee feel.

found this:

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Go grab The Messenger on the Epic Games Store for free. I find some of the humor a bit lame, but its a good game.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Company of Heroes 2 is free to keep on Steam right now.

Crusader Kings 2 also made one of its many DLCs free to keep this weekend as part of their Monarch's Journey campaign. (the next installment of the Journey requires the DLC)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A partial history of farting on Hardball with Chris Matthews. #fartgate #fartball

^click on 'x people are talking about this'^

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->