OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Metro 2033: Redux and Everything are on Epic.

It was just announced though that Spiderman is staying in the MCU for at least two more movies. See, this is the problem with nerds dismissing sports. Even at the time, it was reminding me of the lockouts.

Marvel Studios' Kevin Fiege (the big cheese) is also going to be involved with a Star Wars movie. Which one is unknown.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Forgot to crosspost this from a few weeks ago:

Finished Sound! Euphonium recently and it's probably 2nd favorite series of all time right behind K-On! While K-On! is about how having fun for fun's sake is a virtue in itself, Eupho is more about challenging yourself and finding that reason or motivation for doing what you love and taking it as far as it can go (or even deciding another path is better for you), as well as how to balance that with what's going on with others as you push for the same goal. Kumiko is probably one of the best written main characters I've seen. She's someone I can really relate to because her personality isn't so skewed in any direction. She has her emotional moments, her cynical detached moments, her self-concious moments, and her confident moments. They all make sense in the context of what she's going through instead of her tackling everything the same way because of some archetype she's built with. The other key characters have depth to them as well, but that's what really stood out to me.

Liz and the Blue Bird is a sequel movie that's a bit of a side story focused on a couple of secondary characters. You can probably watch it by itself but it means a lot more with the context of the second season of Eupho. It's done in a completely different visual style that's beautiful in it's own way. It made me cry some as it reminded me of some relationships I've been in, but then subverted the way I perceived them and definitely opened my eyes up. Here's my favorite scene from it, you can tell they must've had a lot of fun animating it!

And here's what I've watched from KyoAni since:

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions the Movie: Take on Me - If you like romantic comedies and magical realism, the original series and this film would be up your alley. What is Chunibyo? It's the fictional affliction that roughly translates to "8th grader syndrome" in which middle schoolers believe themselves to have magical powers or are otherwise a part of some kind of grand conspiracy in which they are the hero. The main character has just started high school with a mind to leaving all that embarrassing stuff behind when he crosses paths with a fellow freshman girl who is still in the throes of it. Lots of fun (and impeccably animated battles on par with the best shonen anime) ensues. We eventually learn the root cause of her delusions and romance progresses on from there. This final movie I finally got around to watching kind of treads the same ground as the second season, but deals with those themes (namely how to balance a relationship with your sense of self) much better IMO and reaches a very satisfying climax. The other thing I love about it is that is all the references to their previous works scattered throughout as the characters travel throughout Kyoto and Japan at large to escape pursuit. It felt like a love letter to all their fans. I recognized a lot of famous sites from my recent trip there!

Tamako Market - This anime series is unique for KyoAni in that it is a TV original, not based on any light novel or manga source material. I think it suffers a bit in its story direction as a result, but it's still a pretty cute watch. It focuses on a shopping arcade in Kyoto where two mochi shops sit across from each other. The main girl Tamako is like pure distilled moe with a ditzy but endearing personality and other slight flaws that just make her even cuter. Anyway she is obsessed with making and selling mochi as well as helping draw customers to the shopping arcade she calls home. A talking bird arrives from the Southern islands and provides most of the comic relief, kind of proving the show was targeted at a younger demographic. The only episode that really stood out to me was the 9th one, which did a beautiful job of tying present day love to the one that brought her father and mother together. It's no surprise then that the follow up movie, Tamako Love Story, outshines the show on which its based by focusing on the same theme. The confessions in that movie are some of the best I've ever seen in anime and worth watching for that alone almost.

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - So when this show first came out, it got written off as just fanservice for girls with all the handsome, shirtless swimmers (and honestly, what's wrong with that given all the shows with "waifu" targeted at boys?), but it's actually a pretty damn good sports club anime in general. While it follows the typical tropes of reviving a once proud but dead club with the bare minimum of members and resources, it also has plenty of other spicy drama as relates to former friends and teammates and the rivalries that result as they move on to different schools. All the guys have interesting personalities and their own charms to them, and you really never know for sure who is going to win. Plenty of humor and heart-warming moments as well. The swimming animation is on point and looks so real. I'm in the middle of the second season, Eternal Summer, right now and it's even better than the first one. Still have a couple movies and another season to get through but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Epic Games and Twitch Prime have free games up. Twitch Prime really has sort of fallen off in 2019. The last good bunch of games they gave away was in December with the Devolver bundle.

Minit on Epic this week is a nice, interesting, not too long game.

Does anyone mess with stonks? With so many brokerages going commission-free, it feels like a good time to ask.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I haven't played Fortnite since the day or two after it was released, but this publicity event has been boring for a long time now. I'll give it a go I guess when the update is released since I'm figuring it'll be so transformative, but get on with it already.

edit: the game is back up finally. They added boats.

I haven't watched El Camino yet, guess I'll do that.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It has taken some liquid courage to finally post on the TBL board. I don't really want to turn it into an essay or anything so here I go. Thanks to a TBL community (not this one) I met the love of my life and we're engaged to be married with me moving to live with him in Gainesville in a couple months (don't mind the location tag; it's preemptive :laugh: ). We're both sports fans so not adopting each others' teams at least secondarily (he's originally from Clearwater) is illegal, so this marks the first season I'll be following the Bolts. A few of you might have seen me around posting about the Rays as well. I'm still living in Arizona until I move so following east coast teams is a little difficult for me right now (I've watched 0 Bucs games and only a few AZ Cardinals games for that matter this season). It'll pick up when I move I guess. I hope you guys don't chase me off :laugh:

(Side note: the event that triggered me to finally come here is that my Erik Cernak jersey was delivered about 20 minutes ago, plus the aforementioned "liquid courage" i.e. booze)

Reactions: Hoek

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It has taken some liquid courage to finally post on the TBL board. I don't really want to turn it into an essay or anything so here I go. Thanks to a TBL community (not this one) I met the love of my life and we're engaged to be married with me moving to live with him in Gainesville in a couple months (don't mind the location tag; it's preemptive :laugh: ). We're both sports fans so not adopting each others' teams at least secondarily (he's originally from Clearwater) is illegal, so this marks the first season I'll be following the Bolts. A few of you might have seen me around posting about the Rays as well. I'm still living in Arizona until I move so following east coast teams is a little difficult for me right now (I've watched 0 Bucs games and only a few AZ Cardinals games for that matter this season). It'll pick up when I move I guess. I hope you guys don't chase me off :laugh:

(Side note: the event that triggered me to finally come here is that my Erik Cernak jersey was delivered about 20 minutes ago, plus the aforementioned "liquid courage" i.e. booze)
:welcome:

Entry quiz:
- Who is your favorite Lightning player and why?
- Who is your least favorite current Lightning head coach and why?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Crusader Kings II, one of my favorite games ever, looks like it's maybe gone free-to-play permanently. The developer isn't super clear if it's just for the weekend or if it'll always be free now. It's a very unusual syntax for Steam if it is a temporary promotion with no end-date listed and the phrase 'free-to-play' used. If it were a giveaway, it'd just say 'free'. Paradox has also taken the game off its storefront to buy.

A reminder that it's also Thursday, so the free Epic Store games are up for this week.

edit: Paradox finally confirmed today that CK2 is free to keep. You can grab the base game on Steam for free, but if you take part in their marketing campaign on their website, they'll give you 'The Old Gods' DLC for free as well, which allows for much earlier starts and access to Norse Pagan civs. (wait until you're a more advanced player to dive into those though. If you're brand-new start with Ireland to learn mechanics.)

They also released the teaser trailer for CK3. The Crusader Kings franchise is basically a Tywin Lannister simulator (and yes GoT mods exist on the Steam Workshop).

Crusader Kings 3

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's entertaining but it adds nothing really to the story.
In a way, yes. You could watch the show and get a satisfying ending. I don't get the media people saying that El Camino finally gives closure to the show. To Jesse, yes.

The original run sort of veered away from Jesse's storyline towards the end since Walter was the main character, so El Camino provides a character study of Pinkman immediately following the end of the series.

I read a review that put it well. I recommend not reading it as it's basically my thoughts as well :
the point of the movie becomes not “What happened to Jesse?” but “What’s going to happen to Jesse?”
El Camino review: Breaking Bad movie a bittersweet character study

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is basically last call for Humble Monthly subs. They're changing the program to a worse plan, but grandfathering in us old subs. I don't think it'll last, but for someone who doesn't pay full price for games, it's the backbone of consistently giving me new things to play.

TBH though, Epic Games has been edging into that territory with their free games each week, and there's a lot of overlap between the two programs, so it's not the end of the world when Humble Monthly ends.

New Humble Classic Plan | Humble Bundle

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
For anyone wanting to start CK2, it's a very complex and unforgiving game if you don't know what you're doing. btrekkie made 3 very good tutorial videos to watch. Use his 1066 Ireland start.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
2D (Benioff and Weiss) are leaving the next Star Wars trilogy.

They wrecked Game of Thrones specifically, so they could focus entirely on Star Wars.

Gemini Man flopped hard and is going to lose the studio a lot of money. Writing was also a major criticism.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
2D (Benioff and Weiss) are leaving the next Star Wars trilogy.

They wrecked Game of Thrones specifically, so they could focus entirely on Star Wars.

Gemini Man flopped hard and is going to lose the studio a lot of money. Writing was also a major criticism.
Serves them right.

Reactions: Hoek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad