GDT: Lightning V. Hurricane

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What would you guys think about McKegg, Kuokkanen and Goat being on the 4th line? A big line with some thump that is capable of scoring. Or do those guys need to get more minutes to develop?

It's a numbers game right now.

Aho, TT, Svech, McGinn, Staal, Williams, Necas, Martinook, Ferland and "probably" Zykov are all assured of a spot, or at least very likely so that's 10 spots out of 13. That leaves 3 spots, one of which being the 13th forward spot. Are those guys going to make it over Foegele, Wallmark, and PDG? PDG has a 1 way deal and is a "safe" option for the 13th forward so I'll be surprised if he's not the 13th. By "safe", I mean 1) the team knows what they have in him against NHL competition AND, 2) if he's riding the pine as the 13th forward, they won't be worried about his development. McKegg could be his competition I guess for that role. Anyone else, I don't think the Canes want sitting as it won't help their development.

It should also be noted that PDG, Wallmark, and McKegg (and Zykov) all require to pass through waivers. I think PDG and McKegg would pass through easily. Wallmark probably would as well, but someone might claim him so that might come into play.

In the two pre-season games, of all those guys, I was VERY impressed with Foegele. I mentioned it earlier, but he reminds me a lot of Josh Anderson. I'd put Kuokkanen, Wallmark and McKegg in the next group. Those guys really stood out in a positive way in their 1 game. Goat looked good and was more impressive than he had been and that's good to see, but to me was still a step down from those 4 IMO. Saarela, Maenalanen, Roy, Smallman, Bishop, Pu, etc...were a step down from those guys. Some of them will likely be cut in the coming days.

Williams, Ferland, and Martinook are all UFAs at the end of this season and McGinn and PDG are RFAs, so I suspect there will be more spots in a year.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
His slow starts feel a lot faster than ErikoStallzy's....I wonder how they compare statistically oct - nov - dec to each other.

Eric
Month Games Goals Points
Oct - 132 - 55 -113 (69 point pace)
Nov- 176 - 55 - 134 (62 point pace)
Dec - 178 - 65 - 148 (68 point pace)

Aho
Oct - 18 - 0 - 10 (45 point pace)
Nov- 27 - 8 - 19 (57 point pace)
Dec - 29-10-10 (56 point pace)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Aho, TT, Svech, McGinn, Staal, Williams, Necas, Martinook, Ferland and "probably" Zykov are all assured of a spot, or at least very likely so that's 10 spots out of 13. That leaves 3 spots, one of which being the 13th forward spot. Are those guys going to make it over Foegele, Wallmark, and PDG? PDG has a 1 way deal and is a "safe" option for the 13th forward so I'll be surprised if he's not the 13th. By "safe", I mean 1) the team knows what they have in him against NHL competition AND, 2) if he's riding the pine as the 13th forward, they won't be worried about his development. McKegg could be his competition I guess for that role. Anyone else, I don't think the Canes want sitting as it won't help their development.

It should also be noted that PDG, Wallmark, and McKegg (and Zykov) all require to pass through waivers. I think PDG and McKegg would pass through easily. Wallmark probably would as well, but someone might claim him so that might come into play.

In the two pre-season games, of all those guys, I was VERY impressed with Foegele. I mentioned it earlier, but he reminds me a lot of Josh Anderson. I'd put Kuokkanen, Wallmark and McKegg in the next group. Those guys really stood out in a positive way in their 1 game. Goat looked good and was more impressive than he had been and that's good to see, but to me was still a step down from those 4 IMO. Saarela, Maenalanen, Roy, Smallman, Bishop, Pu, etc...were a step down from those guys. Some of them will likely be cut in the coming days.

Williams, Ferland, and Martinook are all UFAs at the end of this season and McGinn and PDG are RFAs, so I suspect there will be more spots in a year.

I'm thinking Foegele and Zykov absolutely must play in Raleigh this year, based on their performance at the end of last season and right now.

I still like PDG, and I think he should be the extra forward. So lets say Zykov and Foegele are brought up- how many open slots for forwards are there left?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm thinking Foegele and Zykov absolutely must play in Raleigh this year, based on their performance at the end of last season and right now.

I still like PDG, and I think he should be the extra forward. So lets say Zykov and Foegele are brought up- how many open slots for forwards are there left?

Assuming 13 forwards on the roster: 1

Aho, TT, Svech, Ferland, Necas, Zykov, Williams, McGinn, Staal, Foegele, Martinook, PDG = 12

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Eric
Month Games Goals Points
Oct - 132 - 55 -113 (69 point pace)
Nov- 176 - 55 - 134 (62 point pace)
Dec - 178 - 65 - 148 (68 point pace)

Aho
Oct - 18 - 0 - 10 (45 point pace)
Nov- 27 - 8 - 19 (57 point pace)
Dec - 29-10-10 (56 point pace)

Those include when Staal was not actually a slow starter. That didn’t take hold until 2009, but even then he was fine by November most years.

His October’s in those 5 seasons were 22 goal 48 point paces.

Aho has yet to score an NHL goal in October.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017

Isn't Wallmark on a two way this year and one way next year?

edit: just learned you could still be waiver eligible with a two-way so ignore me

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
One-way $750K. And one-way vs two-way contract is not a factor in whether a player is waiver-eligible. It's just likely to be correlated, because a two-way contract isn't as useful on a player you could lose to waivers.

Bingo. PDG actually becomes a less appealing waiver claim being on a one-way if he were to not make the 23 man roster at the end of training camp even if he's making what 75K over league minimum?

Isn't Wallmark on a two way this year and 1 way next year?

Yes.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Bingo. PDG actually becomes a less appealing waiver claim being on a one-way if he were to not make the 23 man roster at the end of training camp even if he's making what 75K over league minimum?

Yes.

Just read up on one way and two way contracts after seeing this. Didn't know that just because you had two-way contract you could still be waiver eligible.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just read up on one way and two way contracts after seeing this. Didn't know that just because you had two-way contract you could still be waiver eligible.

Correct. What type of contract you are on has no bearing on waivers. It's all based on time in league, games played, age, when drafted, etc...

EDIT:
Capfriendly has a good calculator which you can use to see who requires waivers and who doesn't. For Carolina: Aho, Brown, Carrick, Darling, CDH, PDG, Faulk, Ferland, Hamilton, Martinook, McGinn, McKegg, Mrazek, Pesce, Rask, Slavin, Staal, TT, TVR, Wallmark, Williams, Zykov all are Waiver Eligible.

Everyone else is waiver exempt and can be sent down without waivers.

Last edited:

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
What would you guys think about McKegg, Kuokkanen and Goat being on the 4th line? A big line with some thump that is capable of scoring. Or do those guys need to get more minutes to develop?

Doubtful that all three of them make the team with 2 way contracts. Kuokkanen and Gauthier didn't exaclty light it up in the minors last season either.

There's a school of thought that if you think a player in a scorer, put him in a position to score goals (whether that's in the AHL or NHL).

You bring a guy up like Curtis Lazar and try to have him learn the professional game as 4th liner instead of having him score in the AHL and it just ruins his whole game.

I think the Canes would rather have guys like McKegg or PDG sitting as the 13th forward or playing 8 minutes a night instead of guys who they think have more potentional

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Doubtful that all three of them make the team with 2 way contracts. Kuokkanen and Gauthier didn't exaclty light it up in the minors last season either.

There's a school of thought that if you think a player in a scorer, put him in a position to score goals (whether that's in the AHL or NHL).

You bring a guy up like Curtis Lazar and try to have him learn the professional game as 4th liner instead of having him score in the AHL and it just ruins his whole game.

I think the Canes would rather have guys like McKegg or PDG sitting as the 13th forward or playing 8 minutes a night instead of guys who they think have more potentional
That's my guess as to what they end up deciding with Goat as well: that he'll be better served by playing a top 6 role in Charlotte and being an available call up in case the Canes need his kind of goal scoring presence or physical presence somewhere in their top 9. He played much better in the back half of last season and a year in that Zykov type role in the AHL before he's given an extended taste of the NHL could be a good thing for him. People tend to forget that he was a full developmental year younger than Roy and 2 behind McLovin last season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Kuokkanen did fairly well. One of the reasons he didn't light it up is lack of PP time and/or success vs. Wallmark and Zykov.

Zykov had 54 points in 63 games and was -17, but 30 of his points (16G, 14A) came on the PP. He had only 24 points ES.
Wallmark had 55 points in 45 gp and was +15, but 23 of his points came on the PP, so he had 32 points ES.
Kuokkanen had 40 points in 60gp and was + 17, but only 12 points came on the PP, so he had 28 points ES.
Goat had 23 ES points in 65 games, so similar to Zykov but I suspect with less toi? (speculation) and worse linemates.

His ES scoring was right in line with both Zykov and Wallmark, but PP was the difference. I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that those two were on the top PP unit and he wasn't.

Amazingly, Foegele had 28G, 46 points and only 4 (all assists) were on the PP. All his scoring was ES/SH.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
98% certain Darling is sitting across from me right now. Ornit damn looks like him. 11:32 AM. Is there a practice going on right now?

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
98% certain Darling is sitting across from me right now. Ornit damn looks like him. 11:32 AM. Is there a practice going on right now?
When I went to the CBJ-CHI game Tuesday, there was a guy in a Blackhawks shirt who looked exactly like a short version of Darling. No lie, he was complaining about the fact he didn’t get enough chicken tenders in his basket

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->