LeBrun: Lightning talking to Tyler Johnson about waiving his NTC

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Size doesn't seem to be a huge deal, based on his play and production, but age was a little more of a red flag. He's still got some good years on him though, and worst case scenario, having an offensive 3C and using Gaudette as a winger in the top six isn't a horrible cost (not that I see that happening with Toffoli walking, and likely losing Pearson next season).

I'd try talking down the value to a 3rd+prospect or something under normal circumstances...but I just don't want a pair of 6 million dollar contracts for a dedicated bottom six and bottom pairing players. The cap space is much better to be used on Johnson, if we fail in retaining our UFAs.
95% of my friends and family are Canucks fans. I know all to well Vancouver's cap problem, and never thought Johnson would be a good fit Vancouver simply because of the money.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
95% of my friends and family are Canucks fans. I know all to well Vancouver's cap problem, and never thought Johnson would be a good fit Vancouver simply because of the money.

Neither did I.

I also thought we'd have dump cap by now, and/or signed at least one of Tanev, Toffoli or Markstrom....damn Benning.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The fact that we moved next year's 2nd instead of this year's makes me think we have already moved it.

Was a weird move.
The window for the Lightning to get decent picks for their cap casualties is closing fast....

Usually the teams with capspace are also projected to pick rather high in 2021 and probably have no intention of surrendering these high picks for the Lightning cap casualties...

Will be very interesting to see how this gets resolved...
They could always waive people if everything else fails but after these rumors about Johnson being willing to work with the Lightning, I would have thought this would be done by now...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I watch my friends and family weep, while I drink from replica stanley cup tax free...:naughty:

Yeah, yeah, rub it in.

It came down to one goal against the Knights, and I feel we would have gotten past Dallas. Would have been a hell of a way to flame out playing your boys, instead of a Pyhrric victory by Vegas.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I was drinking at Woody's in Coquitlam, there was a lot of anger that night.

Good place for a drink, I haven't gotten out to a pub since this Covid stuff started. I used to pop in there for soccer with a few buddies Sundays, years ago though.

But yeah, I can't imagine it went over well. I didn't imagine hearing air raid sirens going off like I did when Boston knocked us out though, so I'd call the reaction an improvement, even if the stakes were way lower.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
He was total and complete garbage during the playoffs. Hope he can turn it around....

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Not sure if he'd have Detroit on his list but I wonder if Johnson ends up on the Red Wings. They have cap space and with the expansion draft coming up, they might not fear being stuck with that contract for long. How about Givani Smith and a conditional pick ?

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
Yeah, yeah, rub it in.

It came down to one goal against the Knights, and I feel we would have gotten past Dallas. Would have been a hell of a way to flame out playing your boys, instead of a Pyhrric victory by Vegas.

At least you got JT Miller from us
He fit well in Vancouver !
Happy for him.

Reactions: Cogburn

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We are as well. And you guys got Coleman when all was said and done, and he seemed like fun to watch during the cup run!
The big thing about Coleman is his contract, which extends to this year, and CHEAP. That's why we paid such a big price for both him and goodrow. Otherwise we would be playing non-NHLers in those spots in order to save enough money to pay our RFAs. It was a pretty genius move by JBB. Safety net moves.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The big thing about Coleman is his contract, which extends to this year, and CHEAP. That's why we paid such a big price for both him and goodrow. Otherwise we would be playing non-NHLers in those spots in order to save enough money to pay our RFAs. It was a pretty genius move by JBB. Safety net moves.

Hindsight is 20/20 with covid and all, but as much as those moves were disparaged, context was super important. Both picks (20, as it was trending around at the time, and 31) were not likely to step in to the league, guns ablaze either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not sure if he'd have Detroit on his list but I wonder if Johnson ends up on the Red Wings. They have cap space and with the expansion draft coming up, they might not fear being stuck with that contract for long. How about Givani Smith and a conditional pick ?
Why would DET give up Givani Smith + a conditional pick for Tyler Johnson? When we can just claim him off of waivers for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad