Pre-Game Talk: Lightning strikes tonight, 7:30 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I disagree, we just need a tad more talent. With new youth blood coming in next season and a quality player from this years draft we could definitely be placed in a playoff spot next season

Aren't you paying attention? Dorion is looking to trade most of our core, if not now than this summer. I agree that adding a quality player to this current group minus a few expendable guys would be good but that isn't the plan going forward. We're in fire-sale mode.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Aren't you paying attention? Dorion is looking to trade most of our core, if not now than this summer. I agree that adding a quality player to this current group minus a few expendable guys would be good but that isn't the plan going forward. We're in fire-sale mode.

I only think Dorion goes full fire sale if he gets the right price for his players (which are high) and I understand that. Everyone’s trippin’.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That should have been the plan last summer. Dorion is the kid in the candy store.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Teams are probably frothing at the mouth for some of our players. If we do make trades I don’t think we get fleeced.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Teams are probably frothing at the mouth for some of our players. If we do make trades I don’t think we get fleeced.

There are a lot of good GMs out there.. If Dorion deals with Yzerman .. who do you think will come out on top? How 'bout Poile? It may not be a total fleece but my confidence level in Dorion coming out a winner in most of these deals is not very high.. Life will go on.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Don't trade brass.. Trade Smith
Smith is just a bit overpaid and needs to be pushed to keep the fire lit at times but he's not the one I'd trade first. The Sens have young centres coming and for me Pageau is the one that can be replaced at a much cheaper cost. Brass is cheap for a 2nd line centre right now and the young guys aren't ready to play 2nd line centre minutes every night. The beauty with Brass is that as a then pending UFA he'll be worth as much maybe more next year at the trade deadline

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
There are a lot of good GMs out there.. If Dorion deals with Yzerman .. who do you think will come out on top? How 'bout Poile? It may not be a total fleece but my confidence level in Dorion coming out a winner in most of these deals is not very high.. Life will go on.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Dorion is the best gm but I also don’t think he’s going to let himself get fleeced. If he doesn’t get the right deal then he doesn’t pull the trigger, simple as that.

Some gm’s/teams that are border line Stanley cup contenders may offer the moon for some of our players. Winning a Stanley Cup is a phenomal and life changing experience even if you only get it once in a life time

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Smith is just a bit overpaid and needs to be pushed to keep the fire lit at times but he's not the one I'd trade first. The Sens have young centres coming and for me Pageau is the one that can be replaced at a much cheaper cost. Brass is cheap for a 2nd line centre right now and the young guys aren't ready to play 2nd line centre minutes every night. The beauty with Brass is that as a then pending UFA he'll be worth as much maybe more next year at the trade deadline

Pageau is younger, more reliable(health and play-wise) and cheaper than Smith. I don't see how he's the more tradeable piece here at all. Brass won't be worth more as a pending UFA. How does that make sense? Best time to trade him is now.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
How about the play of Mark Stone this season? I'm going to say it, he is a star in this league. 54 points now in 51 games, has a +/- of +11 as our most played forward on a terrible team and one again is tops of the league in takeaways.
Why isn't this being talked about more? Aside from the fact Ottawa is butt this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think Dorion is the best gm but I also don’t think he’s going to let himself get fleeced. If he doesn’t get the right deal then he doesn’t pull the trigger, simple as that.

Some gm’s/teams that are border line Stanley cup contenders may offer the moon for some of our players. Winning a Stanley Cup is a phenomal and life changing experience even if you only get it once in a life time

He will eventually have to pull the trigger on some of these guys and he should on a few of them. But the key guys like Brassard, Hoffman, Pageau. and of course Karlsson.. .if he trades them he needs very good returns

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
How about the play of Mark Stone this season? I'm going to say it, he is a star in this league. 54 points now in 51 games, has a +/- of +11 as our most played forward on a terrible team and one again is tops of the league in takeaways.
Why isn't this being talked about more? Aside from the fact Ottawa is butt this year.

Because that's an established fact. Everyone knows Stone is our top forward by far this season.

Expect him to be dealt next year when he tells Dorion he wants no part of this organisation.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I only think Dorion goes full fire sale if he gets the right price for his players (which are high) and I understand that. Everyone’s trippin’.

My concern is that if the push comes from Melnyk and other GM's know it could tie Dorion's hands.

Personally I see the main problem with the Sens this season is with the goaltending and the D. If Dorion could parlay Pageau, Oduya, one of Andy or Condon, some 4th liners and/or a lesser prospect into a better 1st or backup goalie and a top 4 D the Sens would be back in business.

Reactions: Gesus

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
He will eventually have to pull the trigger on some of these guys and he should on a few of them. But the key guys like Brassard, Hoffman, Pageau. and of course Karlsson.. .if he trades them he needs very good returns

There’s always a price. But when I look past all the media bs I truly think we stay pat minus maybe trading Smith and Oduya and a couple other plugs and replacing them with our youth like Formenton Brown white and so on. I’m really looking forward to the draft and hopefully picking up someone special :)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
My concern is that if the push comes from Melnyk and other GM's know it could tie Dorion's hands.

Personally I see the main problem with the Sens this season is with the goaltending and the D. If Dorion could parlay Pageau, Oduya, one of Andy or Condon, some 4th liners and/or a lesser prospect into a better 1st or backup goalie and a top 4 D the Sens would be back in business.

You don't get those pieces by trading depth/expendable/old players.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How do you get a quality player by trading away our expendables? Our expendables wont fetch much of anything

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Pageau is younger, more reliable(health and play-wise) and cheaper than Smith. I don't see how he's the more tradeable piece here at all. Brass won't be worth more as a pending UFA. How does that make sense? Best time to trade him is now.

The Sens have young centres who can play on the 3rd line so they need to open up a spot there since it's the easiest to fill with a younger player. Smith plays centre too but hasn't been used there much. The difference between Pageau and Smith is only $150k per season although Smith has an extra year. Who do they have to play 2nd line centre if they trade Brass now. I'd give a kid like White a few months playing centre on the 3rd line next year increasing his role before dumping Brass at the deadline if the Sens miss again. If the goal is some degree of cost certainty then why trade a pretty cheap 2nd line centre to start the season since they gave a 2nd to keep his cost down. They don't have their 1st next year so I doubt they'd be happy giving Col a top pick. I also believe Brass would retain his value because cup contenders often don't want players with term at the deadline and if the Sens are in a playoff run next year they could also choose to keep him and maybe trade his rights at the draft if they didn't want to re-sign him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad