Lightning strikes, Habs finally win

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't know what Bergevin saw in Drew, because he is bad, very bad. Cant wait for Diaz to push him off the line-up.

Now I see why he could not crack the LA lineup. I give him props though because not many undrafted players make it to the NHL.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Oh no, more slumping wingers on desharnais line, I wonder why :sarcasm:

You couldn't set anyone up better than dexter desharnais did for rene bourque. He flubbed it.

I thought they showed some spark together, but ryder looks like he's going through one of lulls right now.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
You couldn't set anyone up better than dexter desharnais did for rene bourque. He flubbed it.

I thought they showed some spark together, but ryder looks like he's going through one of lulls right now.

To his defense, Ryder missed last night's game due to an injury. Wouldn't be all that surprising that he's still affected by it.

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
the more i think about the powerplay, the more bewildered I am.

Observations:

1) patches: big, strong power forward type, right? Then what in GODSSS name is he doing on the half boards trying to control the cycle???? he messes up all his passes back to the point and can't win the battles along the board. He should be parked RIGHT IN THE BLUE PAINT the entire powerplay.

2) Gionta: I respect gionta. what he's done over his career in a league like the NHL at his height is amazing. No one questions his heart. but the fact is, he's way out of his prime and just doesnt have the jam he once did. his shots are weak and he cant handle bigger dmen in the crease anymore, the way gallagher can. He should NOT be on the powerplay, let alone be the guy 'screening' the goalie. Yes, he's got great tipping ability, but there are better players that can take that spot. And two goals this game doesnt change anything. Again, he still has a lot to bring to this team, but top line scoring minutes isnt the best way.

3) chuckie: maybe not this season, but if you watched him in Sarnia and the WJC, his area on the PP is the halfboards, right where cammy/kovy used to play. He's going to be lethal from there. I understand he shouldnt be rushed, but it wouldnt hurt to give that a try.

4) Eller >>>> desharnais ALL FREAKING SEASON. Bigger body, better control of the play, bit of a puck hog yes, but can and has done damage on the PP when given a chance.

5) markov and subban switch around too much. Maybe its a coaching strategy, maybe not, but as of right now, markovs best asset is his passing ability (best passer on the team along with galchenyuk), so he should stay on the right side and work on controlling the play and setting subban up.

So, a few small adjustments are needed IMO.

1) patches and gallagher should have the same role on different powerplay units.
2) gionta off the top two units
3) better players controlling the cycle: markov, eller, pleks...hopefully galch.
4) when prusts gets back, get him on! he brings jam, energy and may actually win a few battles!

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ

Observations:

1) patches: big, strong power forward type, right? Then what in GODSSS name is he doing on the half boards trying to control the cycle???? he messes up all his passes back to the point and can't win the battles along the board. He should be parked RIGHT IN THE BLUE PAINT the entire powerplay.

2) Gionta: I respect gionta. what he's done over his career in a league like the NHL at his height is amazing. No one questions his heart. but the fact is, he's way out of his prime and just doesnt have the jam he once did. his shots are weak and he cant handle bigger dmen in the crease anymore, the way gallagher can. He should NOT be on the powerplay, let alone be the guy 'screening' the goalie. Yes, he's got great tipping ability, but there are better players that can take that spot. And two goals this game doesnt change anything. Again, he still has a lot to bring to this team, but top line scoring minutes isnt the best way.

3) chuckie: maybe not this season, but if you watched him in Sarnia and the WJC, his area on the PP is the halfboards, right where cammy/kovy used to play. He's going to be lethal from there. I understand he shouldnt be rushed, but it wouldnt hurt to give that a try.

4) Eller >>>> desharnais ALL FREAKING SEASON. Bigger body, better control of the play, bit of a puck hog yes, but can and has done damage on the PP when given a chance.

5) markov and subban switch around too much. Maybe its a coaching strategy, maybe not, but as of right now, markovs best asset is his passing ability (best passer on the team along with galchenyuk), so he should stay on the right side and work on controlling the play and setting subban up.

1) patches and gallagher should have the same role on different powerplay units.
3) better players controlling the cycle: markov, eller, pleks...hopefully galch.
4) when prusts gets back, get him on! he brings jam, energy and may actually win a few battles!
nice post brosk. Go Habs go :yo:

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012

Observations:

Gionta is declining but he's not that bad. He does lead the team in goals with 14 and would be on pace for 26 goals in a 82 game season. That's second line production right there. He's a guy who can still skate and has chemistry with Plekanec. Gionta's always been a streaky player. His numbers so far are very much on par with the last 3 seasons. Will Bergevin resign him, most probably not. But he's really not declining as quick as some may suggest. If we don't resign Ryder and we trade away Gio, that's 50 goals a year we're going to have to replace somehow.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
some upside? Ability to play as one of the 6 defencemen if injuries happen? You know, the job of a 7th defence man. :help:

this is what he was acquired for and he's done the job perfectly. he was bad tonight but wasn't for a stretch of games before that, he was quite good actually. so again, exactly what he was acquired for. the 'some upside' quote was me paraphrasing what bergevin said of him. he also said that he traded for him for depth during the playoffs.

for a fifth round pick.

surely there's other thing to complain about, like desharnais or galchenyuk not having enough ice-time, or gionta, or michel having a big nose, or l'anti-chambre being Pejorative Slurs or the million things ahead of the habs trading for a depth guy.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This win felt like you're in the desert for days and you need water but you find a plant and suck a few drops of water from it. You wanted a lot of water but it's better than nothing. Better than death, right? :laugh:

Before this match I was thinking we should replace DD, Moen and Gionta for the rest of the season. Now i'm down to DD and Moen.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
this is what he was acquired for and he's done the job perfectly. he was bad tonight but wasn't for a stretch of games before that, he was quite good actually. so again, exactly what he was acquired for. the 'some upside' quote was me paraphrasing what bergevin said of him. he also said that he traded for him for depth during the playoffs.

for a fifth round pick.

surely there's other thing to complain about, like desharnais or galchenyuk not having enough ice-time, or gionta, or michel having a big nose, or l'anti-chambre being Pejorative Slurs or the million things ahead of the habs trading for a depth guy.

I'm glad you are playing the moderator on what can be talked about or not.I was at the game and the putrid play of your boy stand out. Can't even make a correct pass with no pressure. No wonder the D has been in disarray lately.

And btw, not that I care all that much about that 5th round pick, but since you seem to hold it to almost no value (or Drewskie value), there are some good players on the habs who were drafted in the 5th round.

And no, my expectations were not as low as yours if the play we've seen from him is what you call: quite good, cause he has been quite bad.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm glad you are playing the moderator on what can be talked about or not.I was at the game and the putrid play of your boy stand out. Can't even make a correct pass with no pressure. No wonder the D has been in disarray lately.

And btw, not that I care all that much about that 5th round pick, but since you seem to hold it to almost no value (or Drewskie value), there are some good players on the habs who were drafted in the 5th round.

And no, my expectations were not as low as yours if the play we've seen from him is what you call: quite good, cause he has been quite bad.

there's good players drafted pretty much every round, for what it's worth.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007

so you trust your judgement from 1 live game over what the Habs scouts have seen?

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Galchenyuk is playing short shifts.. and he's playing protected minutes that's why it's low.. MT is playing the 3rd at the right time. If he throws them against 1st or 2nd.. they might not succeed more..

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
so you trust your judgement from 1 live game over what the Habs scouts have seen?

because our scouts are mistakes free? Can't we talk about some player horrendous play now in the PGT?

Therefore, I stand by my point which is/was: Drew is not a good player and I can't wait to get Diaz back to fix those D pairings.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'm glad you are playing the moderator on what can be talked about or not.

they'll never let me. whiskeyseven has a better chance at being a mod that i do :(

I was at the game and the putrid play of your boy stand out.

my boy?? well played, flawless victory.

Can't even make a correct pass with no pressure. No wonder the D has been in disarray lately.

a fifth has almost no value - or very marginal value. just because we lucked out on some decent (and one very good) talent in the fifth round doesn't mean we'll do it again, and again, and again... right now, drewiskie >> [and then some] a fifth round pick. you're extremely lucky if your fifth becomes a drewiskie, which would be a bad thing obviously.

i don't have 'low expectations, i have realistic expectations. and no, this is what i said:

he was bad tonight but wasn't for a stretch of games before that, he was quite good actually.

and he was 'quite good for a stretch' means exactly what it means: the few games after being traded for he played 'quite good'. and when the defense in general took a giant **** and the goalies forgot how to stop a puck, his play went down with it. just to make it clear for you if that wasn't obvious enough, quite good in his role. not 'quite good' in general. it's not like he's gonna steal anybody's job here.

I don't know what Bergevin saw in Drew, because he is bad, very bad. Cant wait for Diaz to push him off the line-up.

what he saw was a depth guy that could n the future hold a regular spot and yes, he will be pushed off when diaz comes back.

JuJu Mobb

Montreal Canadiens
Dec 9, 2009
I'm glad that Weber had a good game.

He should stay in the line-up from now on.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Didn't post after the game cuz I was just satisfied and wanted to chillax given I've been board binging a lot this past week.

Anyway, most people seem to have captured exactly what went down. For those saying Gio got a free pass for scoring the GWG (as well as the second goal on a sweet tip in front of the net where he does the most damage when playing well)...uh...yeah, it's called being good. He has sucked lately, but tonight the captain showed us a flash of why we used to love him so much.

I actually liked the new trios. Nice to see Patch with Plek. I think we can all agree that Pacioretty is not good when behind the net trying to get the puck to the point. That and I don't know why we try to dump and chase on the PP. Just skate it in, there was always room. Mentioned earlier and right on the money -- we don't move the puck quickly on the PP. Just stand around thinking about the meaning of life. Move the puck, get the other team scarmbling then shoot.

Markov was awful today (sadly, again). He needs rest badly.

Worst player by far was Bourque. He has 2 WIDE open chances and 1 sure goal for Ryder if he didn't pass it in his skates with tons of time. He is the 2012 version. Hands of stone. I do appreciate his effort though, he just has to get back to being the sniper he was in Calgary. I cannot believe how horrifically bad he was at finishing.

Obviously Chucky was...himself, but Dumont was terrific again as well. I will be pissed if he gets benched in favour of Moen when Prust is back.

Best part of tonight was Roy trolling PJ (or PK, as aptly corrected) on AC. PJ thinks he's so f'in funny with not getting enough time to speak when no one gives a **** what he thinks. Ironic that he called Bergy negative, when EVERY ONE of his manchettes are a stab at the Habs when we win. Roy was hilarious, I love him on AC. That said, Bergie does need to get a slap in the face every time he harps on about Moen when it's not even the topic of discussion. He's his new Gomez. Is there a ketchup bottle with Moen's name on it? We all know Moen sucks right now (I really used to like him a lot), but he's playing on a 4th line and that's why he got more ice time than Chucky. MT was trying to shutdown Stamkos with Pleky's line (or so he said), and thus Chucky got less (not saying I agree with that, but that's the reason).

LJV was much better this game I thought. His wrister (was a wild shot) was pretty freaking strong too. I'd like to see him and Boullion as bottom pair and Diaz with Emelin. Things might not be as bad if he keeps improving and contributing.

Anyone notice that when Eller's line got a PP chance, it was PK and Markov who just wasted the opportunity by failing to gain the zone. If they had set up...

As I predicted in the last PGT, Price would win us the game. People talk posts, but he forced a lot of them by being in the right position (except the screen on the Purcell try).

Just wondering what Subban dive people are talking about? Is it when Pouliot mauled him behind our net?

Also, Malone continues to be a POS.

Gorges with a very solid, redeeming game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
quick note on Markov...I agree he's been struggling lately.

But man, is Bouillon ever an anchor on his side.

Markov got alot of the blame for the Bolts 2nd goal last night, but if you look at the play, Markov got back in time to break up a pass that was going to a lightning player. Just an unfortunate bounce that came about and the puck eventually spilled out to Vinny who had an open net

But look at the reply...Bouillon is nowhere to be found

He's brutal the minute he gets too many minutes...

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

Markov got alot of the blame for the Bolts 2nd goal last night, but if you look at the play, Markov got back in time to break up a pass that was going to a lightning player. Just an unfortunate bounce that came about and the puck eventually spilled out to Vinny who had an open net

On that play, I was like "Sweet, awesome read by Markov, great play by him!", then...

I thought at first maybe it wasn't his fault, but on the replay, it clearly showed he just lost his concentration, was just looking at the puck carrier to Carey's left, even though there were 2-3 other Habs there, leaving the backdoor open. Once he realized, it was too late. He totally could have stopped that goal. I love Markov, so I'm not going to give him the free pass as I normally would since I'm trying to be fair to everyone.

Not disagreeing with the Boullion comment. There have been some bad reads. Just need Markov to be better than everyone.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

I agree. Bouillon looked totally lost on that second goal. The first thing that came to mind about Bouillon when I saw the reply was "What do I do? What do I do?" He was looking for something to do on the play and never engaged anyone until the puck was already in the back of the net. The collapsing style right now looks pretty bad. 5 red shirts in one cluster **** in front of the net. Puck squirts lose to an open player with an empty net... That one wasn't going to be a post.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I wonder who will sit on Saturday is Army and Prust both come back into the line up. You gotta think Dumont is one of them, even though he's been the best player on the 4th line the last 2 games. Really like his energy and work ethic on the ice, he's also strong on the defensive side of the puck.

I hope it's Moen but I could see it being Chuck for the simple fact that he gets no ice time and has a 6 game scoring streak, would make sense to do something senseless.

The defense is still very worrisome, Bouillon is indeed dreadful when he's overplayed. A lot like Hal Gill, when he was used properly he was dynamite for us, when he was forced to play a lot he made a lot of mistakes. Bouillon needs to play 14 mins a game on the bottom pairing and no PP or PK time IMO. With Diaz coming back I'd really like to see them go with:

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon-Weber
Drewiski

PP #1 Markov-Subban PP#2 Weber-Diaz

Unfortunately there isn't many games left as I would have really liked to see them get Tinordi and Beaulieu in there together on the bottom pairing and given the 14 mins of ice time to see what they have but the playoffs are close and it's vital to have the guys ready for the grind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->