Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Sean Day to a 1 year, 2-way contract

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Sean Day was the 4th player to receive Exceptional Player Status in the CHL after Tavares, Ekblad, and McDavid. Unfortunately for Day, his career didn’t pan out in a similar way to those others.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Day has a relationship with Sergachev going back to their time together in Windsor. That 2017 Spitfires team won the Memorial Cup against the Erie Otters who had Cirelli, Raddysh, and Cernak.

Day.jpg

Memorial Cup: How Sean Day was reborn in Windsor - TheHockeyNews
The fact Day has been able to fit in with the Spitfires is another big factor in his turnaround campaign. He’s living at the same billet house as Sergachev and having a lot of fun with the Russian defender.

“We do everything together,” Day said. “He’s an awesome guy and he’s funny. He’s a weirdo and I’m a weirdo too. But you don’t go ninth overall as a mistake. He can do everything out there. We always go back and watch games together. We’ll talk to each other about different plays and it’s a cool relationship.”

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Nice low-risk signing, but not expecting much out of him. He always had to live up to the expectations of his exceptional status, which really had more to do with his physical maturation at 15.

Is this deal for 2020/21? I can't imagine him making it as a reserve player.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Syracuse LD situation is potentially wide open for Day to earn a spot and maybe show something. Masin is going to Europe, Stephens didn't show much and might not be brought back, Sosunov hasn't impressed and isn't guaranteed a spot, Guance is a stud but may want a 1 way deal with someone, Sieloff was solid but got banged up so didn't play a lot so not sure what the plan for him is, Semykin prefers the right side. If we bring back Guance and Sieloff then he will have a fight to get that 3rd spot, if we bring only one back he should get one of the two spots. He's still only 22 so they must hope they can unlock his potential because there are better AHL D out there we could sign.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Syracuse LD situation is potentially wide open for Day to earn a spot and maybe show something. Masin is going to Europe, Stephens didn't show much and might not be brought back, Sosunov hasn't impressed and isn't guaranteed a spot, Guance is a stud but may want a 1 way deal with someone, Sieloff was solid but got banged up so didn't play a lot so not sure what the plan for him is, Semykin prefers the right side. If we bring back Guance and Sieloff then he will have a fight to get that 3rd spot, if we bring only one back he should get one of the two spots. He's still only 22 so they must hope they can unlock his potential because there are better AHL D out there we could sign.
He's got pretty good size too. I didn't see much of him last year, how was his game?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's big. He's strong. He skates really really well and not just for a big guy. He's smooth on his skates and can weave through defenses with the puck. Once he crosses the opposing blueline though he tends to lose the script. He's shaky defensively--that goes all the way back to his junior days--Mississauga and the coaches there were a nightmare for him. That is one way a kid with exceptional status kind of blows a wheel--crap coaching. There were other issues--his mom was fighting off cancer and his brother was going to prison for vehicular homicide. After he went to Windsor things got a lot better but he didn't make a great jump to the pros. He's got tools but the toolbox is the problem and IMO he's always needed to simplify his game. Also despite his size he's not very physical at all. He did get into a fight with somebody last year though. That was a surprise.

I think he's capable of becoming at least a good AHL player. He's going to need to dig a bit deeper. If he used his size more and simplified his game and cleaned up his defensive issues he might even become an NHL player at least for a while. That's the thing for a lot of prospects though--understanding they're not going to be a star but if they can put together enough of a game to fill a niche as a 3rd/4th liner or a bottom pairing defenseman they have a shot. A whole lot of prospects fail because they won't do stuff like that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
JBB: Why should we give you a chance?
Sean Day: I was briefly part of the NYR organization
JBB: sIgN tHiS mAn!

Naw but for real I wanted us to take a chance on him back when he was drafted and was happy for the NYR that they got him. I'm not really expecting anything and would be happy if he was even just good depth for Syracuse. But if he wakes up one day and realizes he's a stud NHL defenseman I won't complain either. But if he was gonna do that he would have by now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That's the thing for a lot of prospects though--understanding they're not going to be a star but if they can put together enough of a game to fill a niche as a 3rd/4th liner or a bottom pairing defenseman they have a shot. A whole lot of prospects fail because they won't do stuff like that.
Truth.

Orlando has seen so many players like that, but if the young guys would just understand that they don't need to play the same style as the top NHL guys in the org that signed them. If you can be gritty, speedy, and retrieve dumped pucks at a high enough level, you can play for nearly any NHL team.

At the very least it makes you more of a complete player and gives you kicks at the can instead of just relying on offense and puck possession.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No way Gaunce is getting a one-way deal. 30 years old and 37 NHL games.

In terms of risk/reward, Sean Day is a nice signing. AHL teams can carry unlimited players, so other than a contract spot (and the money), there's not a lot of downsides if he completely flops.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No way Gaunce is getting a one-way deal. 30 years old and 37 NHL games.

In terms of risk/reward, Sean Day is a nice signing. AHL teams can carry unlimited players, so other than a contract spot (and the money), there's not a lot of downsides if he completely flops.

Cory Conacher played 1 NHL game for the lightning in 18-19, he was 29 years old and was signed to a one way deal for this season. Conacher wasn't a viable candidate to be an NHL player yet was rewarded with a one way deal. Guance isn't that bad to have as a 8th D which he was this year. He did have 4 points in the 3 games he played. Condon and his 3M salary will be gone, Conacher and his 700k one way deal will be gone. There's always one guy you can give a one way deal to and to me that's Guance or Smith. With how bad the D could potentially be next year with Masin in Europe and Foote in the NHL it would be nice to reward Guance for the overuse he's about to get.

The downside is that he has played almost as many ECHL games as AHL ones the last two seasons. To me that's not a guy you give a contract to this early. There could be better players not tendered as RFA's later on. I see the potential reward if he works out but I can't see a ton of teams lining up to sign a guy who played twice as many ECHL games as AHL ones last year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Cory Conacher played 1 NHL game for the lightning in 18-19, he was 29 years old and was signed to a one way deal for this season. Conacher wasn't a viable candidate to be an NHL player yet was rewarded with a one way deal. Guance isn't that bad to have as a 8th D which he was this year. He did have 4 points in the 3 games he played. Condon and his 3M salary will be gone, Conacher and his 700k one way deal will be gone. There's always one guy you can give a one way deal to and to me that's Guance or Smith. With how bad the D could potentially be next year with Masin in Europe and Foote in the NHL it would be nice to reward Guance for the overuse he's about to get.

The downside is that he has played almost as many ECHL games as AHL ones the last two seasons. To me that's not a guy you give a contract to this early. There could be better players not tendered as RFA's later on. I see the potential reward if he works out but I can't see a ton of teams lining up to sign a guy who played twice as many ECHL games as AHL ones last year.
I saw Day play a bit with the Mariners. He was a good ECHLer and maybe deserved to be up a level.

Taking the hype away, Day seems like an AHL/ECHL two-way contract, but one-year isn't a dealbreaker for a 22-year-old. We'd give more to a college free agent of the same age.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Truth.

Orlando has seen so many players like that, but if the young guys would just understand that they don't need to play the same style as the top NHL guys in the org that signed them. If you can be gritty, speedy, and retrieve dumped pucks at a high enough level, you can play for nearly any NHL team.

At the very least it makes you more of a complete player and gives you kicks at the can instead of just relying on offense and puck possession.

The thing with the Rangers also is they've completely overhauled their development system and have all kinds of prospects and if there's one position where it's really overloaded it's left side defense. Rangers love Ryan Lindgren, they love where K'Andre Miller, Matthew Robertson and Zac Jones are at. Then there's Reunanen, Rykov, Hajek and so Day found himself so far down the left D prospect scheme of things and it wasn't worth the Rangers while to continue on with him.

Thing is though a young guy with great size who can skate always has a chance and sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders. Day's connection to Sergachev probably doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sean Day had the same expectations all of us had of ourselves at 15, but he gets dinged for it.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So was reading some Ranger fans thoughts on Day. Has me wondering if they maybe try to move him to forward? He has good size and skating but his IQ is questionable which is easier to hide as a forward. I'm sure they'll give him a shot at D first but if his struggles in his own zone continue they'll try to utilize his abilities in a better way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad