Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Matt Tomkins | 2 years, 2-way

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Thank you for sharing.
Looks like his AHL regular season record over 36 games in three seasons with Rockford is 11-20-3 with a GAA of 3.35. Appears they have found the replacement for Lagace, and another goalie to give a shot at the Tampa Bay back up spot.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Looked decent for Canada at the last olympics. Played in Finland before, I believe.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm

A bit streaky especially when starting many games in a row. Had ½ great season in Frölunda and large parts of the past season with Färjestad and a really good playoff. I would say that he is an ok backup for a low cost for the 20+ games Vasilevskiy do not start.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah this def isn't an NHL backup signing unless he breaks out. Just hope he can maintain a passable sv% in the A unlike Lagace.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
He's in the Max Lagace spot. Veteran AHL goalie.
I just think we could've signed someone better. I also doubt there was much interest in him. Goaltending has been pretty bad for Syracuse and I don't think Tomkins/Alnefelt duo is going to change that. Tomkins feels more like an ECHL level goalie.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As Python noted, the Lagace experiment should be done. The only thing he has proven in his time in Syracuse is he is consistent at being inconsistent. He was given every opportunity to step up and take the number 1 spot and failed. His play late in the regular season and in the post season clearly show he is not the goalie answer for this organization. A team relies on its number one goalie to bring his/her A Game to a winner take all playoff game, and the third and fourth goals he allowed in game five were terrible.
With the need for a backup goalie in Tampa Bay and a number one in Syracuse if Alnefelt or LaFontaine fail to take advantage of the opportunity, this signing shows the organization is aware of the shortcomings in goal and is looking "outside the box" for a solution.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad