Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign D Dan Girardi (2 years, $3M AAV)

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He is worse than Carle, he really is.

There is no way he turns into a reliable ANYTHING. He just can't play hockey in today's NHL. It's a bigger chance that Sustr turns into a top 4 dman in Nashville than Girardi being useful to us. He will be eaten alive in the playoffs, if we even make it there. He can't skate, he can't get the puck out of the zone. That is basic stuff in today's NHL.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
wow, just dunked on all you guys.

reeeeallly embarrassing for you guys right now.

tumblr_me298ceXKS1qga22uo1_500.gif

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Can't skate, can't block shots, can't produce, can't play in the NHL. It amazes me the rosters that SY can put together at times on offense, yet year after year the defensive choices are just baffling. Coburn was a decent pickup that was about two years too late, Garrison would have been better a year prior, Stralman was a homerun, handling of prospects... man, I don't know.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Can't skate, can't block shots, can't produce, can't play in the NHL. It amazes me the rosters that SY can put together at times on offense, yet year after year the defensive choices are just baffling. Coburn was a decent pickup that was about two years too late, Garrison would have been better a year prior, Stralman was a homerun, handling of prospects... man, I don't know.

i dont buy it myself but worse case scenario gets carle treatment and we had the money so is a whatever at this point:) not buying into how bad he might be right now cause its offensive stats and a system he didnt fit into at all in ny.

can he play up to gudas level before injury I say yes with more blocks a little less hits.

I think hes gonna be fine myself. He is good at the short quick pass to get to a forward to get out of zone. Our guys have the speed and usually handle that well some better then others.

His weakness is passing someone deeper etc.. and he mainly when does that just winds up icing it:)

which is something we shouldnt be asking him to do. Use his few strengths dont over play him and should be fine.

If people think he plays with kucherov and that kucherov will stop scoring because of it your outta your damned minds

kucherov scores just fine with sustr who just wow I got nothing good to say on sustr lmfao

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
i dont buy it myself but worse case scenario gets carle treatment and we had the money so is a whatever at this point:) not buying into how bad he might be right now cause its offensive stats and a system he didnt fit into at all in ny.

can he play up to gudas level before injury I say yes with more blocks a little less hits.

I think hes gonna be fine myself. He is good at the short quick pass to get to a forward to get out of zone. Our guys have the speed and usually handle that well some better then others.

His weakness is passing someone deeper etc.. and he mainly when does that just winds up icing it:)

which is something we shouldnt be asking him to do. Use his few strengths dont over play him and should be fine.

If people think he plays with kucherov and that kucherov will stop scoring because of it your outta your damned minds

kucherov scores just fine with sustr who just wow I got nothing good to say on sustr lmfao

Which forward, though?

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/3...eps-making-pointless-passes-to-the-wrong-team

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I've read a lot of criticism(s) of Girardi over the past few years but "can't block shots" might be the dumbest one I've ever read.

166 BS last year, 9th in the league, "can't block shots". Routinely among the league leaders every year.

Good grief. Let the guy play a game or two for you guys before this "AHL" stuff overtakes your board like it did ours. 3rd pair, PK, leadership in the room. The money might be a little high, but this isn't a net loss for TB if he's used the right way.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I've read a lot of criticism(s) of Girardi over the past few years but "can't block shots" might be the dumbest one I've ever read.

166 BS last year, 9th in the league, "can't block shots". Routinely among the league leaders every year.

Good grief. Let the guy play a game or two for you guys before this "AHL" stuff overtakes your board like it did ours. 3rd pair, PK, leadership in the room. The money might be a little high, but this isn't a net loss for TB if he's used the right way.

I'm holding out hope. I do think he will be very good on the PK where his lack of speed is less of an issue and he can block shots. That let's a guy like Stralman rest. The problem a lot fear here is we will see Girardi misused with a lot of offensive zone draws, or worse yet, he gets the offensive zone starts because he becomes a liability defensively.

I read somewhere that his head wasn't in it in NY. Maybe he rebounds with a fresh start.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'm holding out hope. I do think he will be very good on the PK where his lack of speed is less of an issue and he can block shots. That let's a guy like Stralman rest. The problem a lot fear here is we will see Girardi misused with a lot of offensive zone draws, or worse yet, he gets the offensive zone starts because he becomes a liability defensively.

I read somewhere that his head wasn't in it in NY. Maybe he rebounds with a fresh start.

The Rangers were a bottom 5 CF% (Corsi For %) team in the entire NHL last season. Only one of the NYR defenders (that played over 200 minutes TOI) had a positive CF last year. The only one that did was Clendening and he had a 48% OZFO percentage.
They are not a puck possession team. Not sure why measure/grade Girardi on his possession metrics when they didn't play a possession game. They were a top 5 scoring team in the NHL and a bottom 5 in possession metrics. Girardi also took 28% of his draws in the offensive zone which is one of the lowest on the NYR squad, didn't help that the Rangers were one of the worst FO% teams in the NHL last year as well.

What are the Lightning looking at? Controlled D-Zone Exits For and Controlled D-Zone Exits Against. Guess who was pretty good at that ... even with a bum ankle. Yep Girardi. Girardi was definitely the whipping boy for NYR fans and media...this guy brings the workman's lunch and pail and hardhat to work every day. He is a decent addition to the team and there is data that supports a healthy level of hope that Girardi could play better in our system than he did last year with the Rags.

Girardi is a defensive defenseman...you can play him on a third pairing sheltered role with Koekkoek for example. You can let Koekkoek display a bit more of his two way game while allowing Girardi to be the safety valve. That allows, for example, Coburn to move up to the second pairing with a guy like Stralman. Allowing Stralman to take more risks and be a bit more offensive minded which he can definitely do.

I'm reserving my judgement for the start of the season...but there is enough there for me to like this signing at that cap and term level.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So much hate on girardi! Knock it off yzerman signed him to be a third pairing defenseman get over it! You guys act like he is going to play stralmans or hedmans roles He is not! Watch them put girardi with sergachev or koekkoek and it will work out perfectly. He will stay back and defend and koekkoek and sergachev will push the puck up to our forwards

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Girardi said they're expecting him to play top-4 though. I guess we'll see how it shakes down during and after camp. Speculating now doesn't get us anywhere.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The Rangers were a bottom 5 CF% (Corsi For %) team in the entire NHL last season. Only one of the NYR defenders (that played over 200 minutes TOI) had a positive CF last year. The only one that did was Clendening and he had a 48% OZFO percentage.
They are not a puck possession team. Not sure why measure/grade Girardi on his possession metrics when they didn't play a possession game. They were a top 5 scoring team in the NHL and a bottom 5 in possession metrics. Girardi also took 28% of his draws in the offensive zone which is one of the lowest on the NYR squad, didn't help that the Rangers were one of the worst FO% teams in the NHL last year as well.

What are the Lightning looking at? Controlled D-Zone Exits For and Controlled D-Zone Exits Against. Guess who was pretty good at that ... even with a bum ankle. Yep Girardi. Girardi was definitely the whipping boy for NYR fans and media...this guy brings the workman's lunch and pail and hardhat to work every day. He is a decent addition to the team and there is data that supports a healthy level of hope that Girardi could play better in our system than he did last year with the Rags.

Girardi is a defensive defenseman...you can play him on a third pairing sheltered role with Koekkoek for example. You can let Koekkoek display a bit more of his two way game while allowing Girardi to be the safety valve. That allows, for example, Coburn to move up to the second pairing with a guy like Stralman. Allowing Stralman to take more risks and be a bit more offensive minded which he can definitely do.

I'm reserving my judgement for the start of the season...but there is enough there for me to like this signing at that cap and term level.

Good points. His lack of mobility and first pass are still concerns for me because unlike the Rangers, we are a puck possession team. Still, I see a narrow role for him outside of shot generation.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Okay, I should clarify - doesn't block enough shots based on heatmapping and how many he gives up overall.

I mean, at least *some* of the people on your board had the sense to identify a weakness and see that he didn't fit, at a minimum, the system that AV was running. He isn't good.

Literally the hill people have died on with him had been in regards to blocking shots and shot suppression, and he doesn't suppress shots at all. He may block some, yet he still manages to allow a significant amount through and cannot maintain possession or drive any semblance of a transition so yeah, feel free to take him back if he isn't so bad.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah we`ve a fast pace system and driving possession is important in New York, good luck in Tampa, G. I thought he was injured when he was bought out earlier, but I guess he doesn`t fit within the AV system.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Dan hasn't been the same player the past few seasons, but he's certainly an asset if used properly. Also, one of the nicest and most well-liked athletes I've seen come through NY. I really hope he bounces back with you guys. If the Rangers don't win, I'm definitely pulling for Tampa with Cally and Girardi.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dan hasn't been the same player the past few seasons, but he's certainly an asset if used properly. Also, one of the nicest and most well-liked athletes I've seen come through NY. I really hope he bounces back with you guys. If the Rangers don't win, I'm definitely pulling for Tampa with Cally and Girardi.

Yeah, Tampa has become my 2nd team, been following them since the Cally trade, and them adding Stralman and Boyle was pretty cool. Hate that Boyle was traded, but now with G down there, should be fun, and hoping he can find his game again.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

No he's not. If he was his analytics wouldn't be so terrible. He's bad at moving the puck at any time unless he has un-pressured time to look up and make a play. Under pressure he immediately just throws the puck up the boards.

that is rangers system pass around boards

No it's not. The Rangers successful breakouts are when they can move the puck to the forwards in open ice off the boards. Girardi is terrible at this, he mostly just moves the puck along the boards.

But yes he can block shots but it might end up injuring him again with another broken foot or knee cap or whatever that will limit his mobility even more.

I'd like to see this quote if you can find it because if true that's just incredible and I'm even more glad he's gone. He was a long time veteran, he built his life and family in NYC, it's not like he was some guy who came in and just didn't fit.

The issue is that even compared to his teammates or to pretty much anyone else in the league, Girardi was bad. He demonstrably pulled down McDonagh's numbers. Yes the Rangers weren't a puck possession team and it's fair to bring that up but both by the eye test and the numbers test, Girardi showed up as poor with the puck.

Playing a different system could definitely help him though. That definitely is a failing where he was expected to play in a more skating style defensive system rather than a zone system that would limit his issues with mobility.

Ultimately I'm not trying to really dump on Girardi or Tampa but I think some people are putting a rosy tint on his past performances. If I'm a Tampa fan I'm saying "hopefully we use him in a different way than the Rangers did and a different system works better for him", but I'm not trying to re-cast his past several years in a positive light.

All that said, if he has a nice year with Tampa then good for him. He's also a likeable guy, a good veteran, reportedly good in the locker room, he'll give up his body for the team and I don't wish ill upon him. If buying him out lets him rejuvenate his career and the Rangers improve their blueline, then great it's a win for everyone. I think the Rangers continued to lean on him too heavily in situations that weren't a good match for his abilities but the right spot in the lineup could be fine with him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
No he's not. If he was his analytics wouldn't be so terrible. He's bad at moving the puck at any time unless he has un-pressured time to look up and make a play. Under pressure he immediately just throws the puck up the boards.

Quoted for truth, he's utterly vulnerable against an aggressive forecheck.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
But yes he can block shots but it might end up injuring him again with another broken foot or knee cap or whatever that will limit his mobility even more.

Great point for anyone using the "he blocks shots" argument, great he'll injury himself again, such a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->