Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Brian Elliott | 1 year, $900K

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hopefully does better than the other guys who have worn #1 here.

MFW Sean Burke

PTSD_Chihuahua_Banner.jpg

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cant find any thread for him, so hope he got renewed contract 1 year at least, and Alnefelt can get more experiance in AHL.
Eh we will probably grab another journeyman in the offseason. I don't think we will rush Alnfelt unless he forces his way up.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'd rather have us sign a goalie on a league minimum from Europe than another vet. Wouldn't exactly be tough to find a better goalie out there than McElhinney or Elliott with some upside.

Reactions: The Macho King

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I'd rather have us sign a goalie on a league minimum from Europe than another vet. Wouldn't exactly be tough to find a better goalie out there than McElhinney or Elliott with some upside.

So you think it's easy but JBB was just like "nah, f*** it let's go with the worse option".

I'm not against grabbing a guy with upside from wherever, but there's a strong likelihood that whoever it is will come to the NHL and get exposed. With McElhinney and Elliott we've gotten exactly what we expected.

HanTykje

Jan 8, 2022
Norway
www.instagram.com
Nobody will take the place from Vasilevsky unless he got long time injured or he is declining, i cant see that happening he will stay that pro untill he retires i belive, 2 goalie will normaly get 10-15 matches a year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
So you think it's easy but JBB was just like "nah, f*** it let's go with the worse option".

I'm not against grabbing a guy with upside from wherever, but there's a strong likelihood that whoever it is will come to the NHL and get exposed. With McElhinney and Elliott we've gotten exactly what we expected.
McElhinney and Elliott have given us 17 wins in 39 games. They've definitely gotten exposed too.

We've tried that strategy for too many years now, time to do something else. Basically any backup we've had in recent years apart from Domingue has been a guy close to his 40s.

The risk is very minimal and worth taking in my eyes.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Tbh for the way we've been playing, if Vasy gets injuried it's gg and offseason even if we get another backup IMO

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I'm not sure any actual backup no matter how good they are could handle how we play. We'd need another 1B young Vasi type.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
McElhinney and Elliott have given us 17 wins in 39 games. They've definitely gotten exposed too.

We've tried that strategy for too many years now, time to do something else. Basically any backup we've had in recent years apart from Domingue has been a guy close to his 40s.

The risk is very minimal and worth taking in my eyes.

You think GAA of 2.89, 3.09 and 2.62 (McElhinney and Elliott's performance over last 3 seasons) is "getting exposed"? Do you not watch much hockey? The bottom 20 guys in the league this season have combined for a GAA of 4.39 across 84 decisions, with a record of 18-56-10.

Our backups have given us exactly what we needed to make the playoffs with plenty of breathing room. Take a flyer like you propose and we could easily end up with someone not NHL-caliber like those bottom-of-the-league guys.

There's a reason there are shitty goalies in the league, and a reason JBB hasn't just grabbed some rando from Europe. And that reason is that you're wrong in thinking it wouldn't be hard to grab someone better than Mac/Elliott with upside. It actually is tough, and can blow up in your face.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want us to try it, but JBB has weighed the odds and made his call.

Reactions: SeaChaser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad