Lightning Ring of Honor

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The title pretty much explains itself. Does anyone know how a fan would go about proposing the idea to upper management? There are several worthy candidates who deserve to be honored and considering that the Lightning have a relatively large "alumni" that hangs around and follows the team I think it would be the right thing to do. Give some old timers recognition and let them know we haven't forgotten about them and honor our all time greats. Every year you induct a new one and do it in a sort of chronological order if you can but not missing the blatantly obvious candidates i.e Lecavalier. It would be prudent to inaugurate two at a time some years as not to keep people waiting forever. Rumor has it John Lynch was starting to get a little pissed having to wait so long to be in the Bucs ROH

AlwaysSunny's example for the next 15 years or so

1. Phil Esposito -has to be #1 then you do everyone else
2. Brian Bradley - the first all star and outstanding Tampa citizen
3. Darren Puppa - the first great goaltender
4. Rob Zamuner and Chris Gratton - lunch pail guys who BUSTED their ass in the early days
5. Roman Hamrlik and John Cullen - Hamrlik for the same reason as Gratton and Zamumer, and Cullen because he fought cancer and won
6. Dave Andreychuk and Nikolai Khabibulin
7. John Tortorella
8. Vincent Lecavalier
9. Martin St. Louis
10. Brad Richards
11. Pavel Kubina and Dan Boyle
12. Steven Stamkos
13. Ben Bishop
14. Victor Hedman
15. Nikita Kucherov
16. Ondrej Palat
17. Tyler Johnson

As the years go by and the candidates run out you can slow it down to every other year but you guys get the idea. Build a section of Amalie Arena dedicated to these guys or have an area outside that has a nice photo of them playing and a 2 paragraph bio about their accomplishments with the Lightning.

Anyway I want this to be legitimate. Any person who says, "Aw stupid Lightning don't have any fans don't have any history" can go see this and see for themselves they are wrong and read about some truly great players. And the lunch pail guys like Zaumer would truly appreciate it because it's like "Even though it's been almost 20 years we still haven't forgotten about you" even if they do not deserve to have their number retired like a Lecavalier does.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think vinik is doing statues he did it with ESpo and anderchuck ! I think vinny is next after he retires this season. I think we should also retire vinnys number 4 in the rafters as well.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So anybody who's ever put the sweater on gets in it seems.

Not everyone, Hose.

Half that list was for 10 years from now. If guys like Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Kucherov and Stamkos play their entire career here then why not include them in a ROH? Guys like Kubina and Boyle hold all our defense records. Vinny, Marty and Richards are self explanatory and the old timers deserve mention too.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They already have or at least had pictures and plaques up of a lot of these guys in the concourses. At least on the terrace level. I notice they aren't in the club level any more.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Jury is still out on 13 thru 17 but i like this list. I would scratch off Cullen though, good for him beating cancer and all but....not sure on Khabibulin either he just wasn't here long enough.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not everyone, Hose.

Half that list was for 10 years from now. If guys like Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Kucherov and Stamkos play their entire career here then why not include them in a ROH? Guys like Kubina and Boyle hold all our defense records. Vinny, Marty and Richards are self explanatory and the old timers deserve mention too.

You have Zamuner and Gratton but not Modin and Prospal, that's where you lost me.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You have Zamuner and Gratton but not Modin and Prospal, that's where you lost me.

I had them on the top of my head when I started the thread and forgot about them as it went on. They would absolutely get nominated. Like I said, the idea is for guys who were the best we ever had and others who truly busted their ass for us. Even though they might not have been special players, they were special to us. Thus the nod for guys like Gratton and Zamuner. Old time Lightning fans still talk about them to this day whenever I pick their brains about the past.

I think after nearly 25 years as a team you can begin recanting history and tradition. This would merely be a step in the process.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This would be my list

1. Phil Esposito
2. Dave Andreychuck
3. Vinny Lecavelier
4. Martin St. Louis
5. Brad Richards
6. Nikolai khabibulin
7. John Tortorella
8. Dan Boyle
9. Brian Bradley
10. Darren Puppa

Later on Steven Stamkos, Tyler Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Hedman, Bishop.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I had them on the top of my head when I started the thread and forgot about them as it went on. They would absolutely get nominated. Like I said, the idea is for guys who were the best we ever had and others who truly busted their ass for us. Even though they might not have been special players, they were special to us. Thus the nod for guys like Gratton and Zamuner. Old time Lightning fans still talk about them to this day whenever I pick their brains about the past.

I think after nearly 25 years as a team you can begin recanting history and tradition. This would merely be a step in the process.

To me Gratton was a huge disappointment outside of his last year before signing with Philly. He may have brought his lunch pail but was the 3rd overall pick and didn't come close to living up to that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This would be my list

1. Phil Esposito
2. Dave Andreychuck
3. Vinny Lecavelier
4. Martin St. Louis
5. Brad Richards
6. Nikolai khabibulin
7. John Tortorella
8. Dan Boyle
9. Brian Bradley
10. Darren Puppa

Later on Steven Stamkos, Tyler Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Hedman, Bishop.

God damn Andreychuk, what the F did that guy do, besides being named captain because he was old as ****, to be #2? He might not even be in my top 10 he's so overrated in Lightning history.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
God damn Andreychuk, what the F did that guy do, besides being named captain because he was old as ****, to be #2? He might not even be in my top 10 he's so overrated in Lightning history.

I thought somebody would say that. He was that veteran presence in the locker room that helped a lot of these young guys stay focused in the playoffs. I remember the guys talking about how important he was to winning that cup.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I thought somebody would say that. He was that veteran presence in the locker room that helped a lot of these young guys stay focused in the playoffs. I remember the guys talking about how important he was to winning that cup.

So a guy who had never been to the finals before was the playoff veteran presence in the locker room and not Tim Taylor or Daryl Sydor who both had already won a cup?

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
My two cents.

1. Phil Esposito
2. Brian Bradley
3. Darren Puppa
4. Roman Hamrlik
5. Fredrick Modin
6. Dave Andreychuk *this is one i keep going back and forth with
7. John Tortorella
8. Vincent Lecavalier
9. Martin St. Louis
10. Brad Richards
11. Pavel Kubina
12. Dan Boyle
13. Steven Stamkos
14. Chief

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
1. Phil Esposito
2. Vincent Lecavalier

If you don't have it like that your list is wrong. After that there's a big gap and a lot of guys who are very close to each other in importance, except Andreychuck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad