Confirmed with Link: Lightning retire Martin St. Louis' #26

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
cut.jpg

At Amalie Arena on Friday, St. Louis' No. 26 will be the first retired by the Lightning. The ceremony will be held prior to a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets (8 p.m. ET; SN, TVA Sports, SUN, FS-O, NHL.TV), who are coached by John Tortorella, who was Tampa Bay coach when St. Louis and the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

"It's an honor," St. Louis said. "Just getting your jersey retired is quite the honor, and obviously to be the first one I think makes it even more special."

He is the Lightning leader in points (953), assists (588), power-play points (300), shorthanded goals (28), shorthanded points (44), game-winning goals (64) and overtime goals (10). His 365 goals and 972 games played are second behind Vincent Lecavalier (383 goals; 1,037 games).
https://www.nhl.com/news/martin-st-...ersey-to-be-retired/c-285556462?tid=277548856

The Tampa Bay Lightning announced today that the No. 26 jersey retirement ceremony for Martin St. Louis will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, January 13, before the team faces off against the Columbus Blue Jackets, presented by Chase. Doors to AMALIE Arena will open to ticket holders at 5:30 p.m. and the team is recommending all fans plan on being in their seats by 6:15 p.m. Doors for those with premium seating and the arena's Firestick Grill will open at 5 p.m. The game is expected to face-off at 8:10 p.m. After the conclusion of the ceremony, the regular 15-minute warm-up skate and game preparation will occur.
https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/martin-st-louis-jersey-ceremony-to-begin-at-630/c-285114262

Video (interview with Marty):
https://www.nhl.com/lightning/video/behind-the-bolts-st-louis/t-277437434/c-48268403

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
He did so much for this team, so I think it's well-deserved..

..still I cannot help but I would feel more excited if the whole trade thing would never happened, it's a thorn in the side no matter what.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Really excited to be at the game for the ceremony tonight! The way he left hurt so much but he's always been my favorite player, so I'm just going to bask in the good feelings.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Legendary player when I think about Tampa I think of MSL how much he did for your franchise was truly amazing.

I hope another player comes along and leaves such a legacy as he did congrats Tampa fans you sure got to enjoy a HOFer I am super jealous.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Vinny should have went before Marty but Marty deserves to have his number retired. So let's get vinny up there next.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
this didn't even occur to me yesterday, but props to Sun for covering the retirement ceremony uninterrupted. They went like over an hour straight without a commercial.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Hey all. Congrats on the Cup championship!

Just wondering if anyone knows if a replica mini banner was given away to fans at the arena for either of St. Louis or Lecavalier's jersey retirements. I've got a collection going of all the replica mini banners given away at the ceremonies league-wide and would like to add these if they were given out. Thanks for any information you can provide!

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hey all. Congrats on the Cup championship!

Just wondering if anyone knows if a replica mini banner was given away to fans at the arena for either of St. Louis or Lecavalier's jersey retirements. I've got a collection going of all the replica mini banners given away at the ceremonies league-wide and would like to add these if they were given out. Thanks for any information you can provide!
They were. I've got the St. Louis mini banner, at least!

Edit: Found one on eBay Martin St. Louis #26 Tampa Bay Lightning Replica Retired Number Banner | eBay

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
That's the one I saw! Is that the one that was handed out? And Lecavalier got one as well?
Yes that's what they handed out. I didn't attend Lecavalier's banner night so I'm not sure about that one. I thought they gave away a banner for that too but not sure. Can't seem to find it online.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Yes that's what they handed out. I didn't attend Lecavalier's banner night so I'm not sure about that one. I thought they gave away a banner for that too but not sure. Can't seem to find it online.

Well thanks for confirming the Marty one. I appreciate it! I'll have to look more into Vinny. Maybe someone else will remember.

Reactions: Hoek

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Well thanks for confirming the Marty one. I appreciate it! I'll have to look more into Vinny. Maybe someone else will remember.

I was at the Vinny one. The freebie was NOT a mini-banner but rather a resin "locker" with a #4 "jersey" hanging in it. I distinctly remember being pissed that there wasn't a mini-banner. :ha:

There's a bunch of pictures of the mini-locker on eBay. Just search for "Vincent Lecavalier retirement."

Last edited:

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I was at the Vinny one. The freebie was NOT a mini-banner but rather a resin "locker" with a #4 "jersey" hanging in it. I distinctly remember being pissed that there wasn't a mini-banner. :ha:

There's a bunch of pictures of the mini-locker on eBay. Just search for "Vincent Lecavalier retirement."

Odd they'd do it for one but not the other. That's disappointing but thanks for the confirmation!

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Odd they'd do it for one but not the other. That's disappointing but thanks for the confirmation!

You're very welcome! I was VERY disappointed in their decision not to make a mini-banner for Vinny. I have the 2004 cup mini-banner and the St. Louis one so was expecting to add yet another cool little banner to my collection. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad