Recalled/Assigned: Lightning recall Luke Witkowski

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO
#TBLightning announce D Luke Witkowski recalled and reassign Vladislav Namestnikov to #SyrCrunch

Righty, people mover, teammate defender. Hope he can keep up skating wise with the NHL.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
from the GDT
Espo said on the radio that Carle left the 3rd period with an injury but I have heard nothing about it yet.
I haven't heard anything either, but maybe that's the case? Some insurance if Carle and Hedman don't play Saturday?

Syracuse had called up Dan Milan earlier today, I guess to replace him.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I like it, and with Vladdy going back we can safely assume that Johnson is 100% healthy now as well.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Carle left with an injury? Is that good or bad? No wonder we won last night lol.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Excellent. I really think this goes beyond the Carle injury though.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...quette-but-bolts-could-have-responded-better/

Today, Lightning head coach Jon Cooper threw out some cryptic remarks, shooting down the notion that Chara threw a sucker punch during Boston’s 4-3 win while also suggesting his team didn’t do enough in response to the B’s captain decking Paquette.

“I think we could have responded better,” he said, per the Tribune. “That’s all I’ll say about that.”

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Carle left with an injury? Is that good or bad? No wonder we won last night lol.
Idk. Every Dman but Nesterov had more ice time than him. Barbs played 19:22 and Sustr played a season high 21:53.

Coop could also be going with 7D / 11F, but he hasn't done it since last season.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
So if Carle is out, how does our D look now?

Garrison - Stralman
Nesterov - Sustr
Barberio - Witkowski

OUCH. That is a hell lot of inexperience in there. Either they will collapse or play amazing because everybody sees his chance to prove himself worth an NHL spot. Especially the Barbs vs. Nesterov thing.

Anxways very very curious to see if Witkowski can keep up with the pace, if so he will soon be the peoplemoving #7 every team likes to have.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So if Carle is out, how does our D look now?

Garrison - Stralman
Nesterov - Sustr
Barberio - Witkowski

OUCH. That is a hell lot of inexperience in there. Either they will collapse or play amazing because everybody sees his chance to prove himself worth an NHL spot. Especially the Barbs vs. Nesterov thing.

Anxways very very curious to see if Witkowski can keep up with the pace, if so he will soon be the peoplemoving #7 every team likes to have.

Well hedman should be back tomorrow. I still think we need to go after another top 4 D.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Hedman is back I can't see him playing, if he does over Barberio then I think it shows they lost faith in him.

I can't see this being because of what happened in Boston. He's not anymore physical but a slightly better fighter then Gudas, so we aren't getting someone teams will fear but more someone who can hold there own.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Witko can play both sides, but is more comfortable playing the right side.

Carle can't play the right side very well at all when healthy. You can look at the Philly and Boston losses to see that. I don't know why they tried to get him to play the right side when Nesterov has a ton more experience playing the right side even though he's left handed. Chad Schnarr from Boltprospects Podcast goes over this in good detail actually. If you don't subscribe to the podcast you should. He answers twitter mailbag questions as well.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Witkowski is head and shoulders a better fighter than Gudas. Gudas is much more of a grappler than a puncher. Luke will chuck em or grapple, whatever he has to do to get the advantage. The big question marks for Witkowski will be his skating and how well he keeps up. There will be no question of his ability or willingness to stand up for his teammates IF the organization allows him to play his style at the NHL level.
If Tampa management tells him to not play a hard hitting, physical, in your face style then he will be lost at the NHL level and might as well be included in a package with Connolly for the pieces that the organization feels it needs to win the Cup.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Witkowski is head and shoulders a better fighter than Gudas. Gudas is much more of a grappler than a puncher. Luke will chuck em or grapple, whatever he has to do to get the advantage. The big question marks for Witkowski will be his skating and how well he keeps up. There will be no question of his ability or willingness to stand up for his teammates IF the organization allows him to play his style at the NHL level.
If Tampa management tells him to not play a hard hitting, physical, in your face style then he will be lost at the NHL level and might as well be included in a package with Connolly for the pieces that the organization feels it needs to win the Cup.

This is my worry as well. He is a beast and can handle the physical side of the game, but I'm not sure he will be able to keep up with the speed of the NHL game. You can't hit what you can't catch.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Witkowski:
"He'll get a chance. I don't know if it'll be tonight, but he's definitely going to get a chance. We have to. You know what if Matt's out for a long term, what if Heddy's can't come back for a while? So you have to get these guys in at some point, just like Nesterov. We have to see what we have. ...I'd like to get Luke in one of these last 2 games before the break. I'm not guaranteeing it, but I'd like to."
"He can skate, he's big, he's physical, he's a right handed shot. He's brings a little passion back there. I thought he actually had a good camp. He moved pucks well. His big thing is when he's holding onto pucks too long and now he's trying to do a few things by himself, he gets into a bit of trouble. I think that happened when I suppose he was getting a little more comfortable, but the kids passion for the game, his personality, gosh all those things. He's got that fire in the belly. I Love kids like that. When kids get called up usually it's because somebody got hurt, so you never want to see that end, but it's nice to have a guy like Luke to call up."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/matt-carle-out-through-all-star-break/2214073
Witkowski said he found out just before pre-game warmups in Syracuse Friday night. He said his early call-up in October, when he didn't get into a game, was used as fuel for motivation to get back. Witkowski said he's playing a more "simple" game, with his strong training camp performance giving him confidence he can play at this level.

iwtb*

So an average defender who gets beat constantly but throws a nice hit once in awhile. I'm excited for that too.

If that's your definition of Gudas, then yes. But if you're looking a defenseman in our team that gets beat constantly, it's someone else than him.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Have to agree with Fear. Wit is matched against the top lines here in Syracuse a lot of the time, especially for a second year pro skating with a rookie partner. I have much more faith in them than the Mormina-Nesterov pairing which was being used when available. That pairing just scared the heck out of me, especially in our own zone.
Korobov was selected Best Defenseman by the Crunch staff last year, but it was Witkowski who was relied on game in and game out to play the important minutes. If you are looking for the guy who will play his role and not go for the headlines, Witkowski is the defensive defenseman for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad