Recalled/Assigned: Lightning recall Alex Barre-Boulet and Ross Colton to the taxi squad

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Doubt we would do this if we didn't expect them to play. Volkov trying his best to keep that from happening though.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop mentioned earlier today when asked about the 2 of them, about guys getting their feet wet, going back to the minors, and then coming back sometime later. I wonder if that was a hint to what the future holds for guys like ABB and Colton.

The Bolts are going to want to move 1 of their bigger contracts in the expansion draft and then you have Goodrow and Coleman who are UFAs and are going to want a pay day. So it's possible the Bolts may want to get a look at their young guys who we will need to plug some holes for 2021-22.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Colton seems like the type who could solidify himself as a real nice bottom 6er in this league. Does the little things, really well-rounded player and that type of game usually translates quicker than others who are more one-dimensional.

As for ABB, he has to get his fair shake and not just a cup of coffee. When you have someone like that who is very gifted offensively and puts up points everywhere he goes, you have to be patient and give him a good chunk of games/icetime before deciding to move on. May take another season but you don't give up on that kind of offense until you have a good sample size.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
ABB is best suited for Killorns spot next year on the 2nd line. I think we could have a nice 4th line with size in Maroon-Smith-Colton next year.

The loss of Goodrow and Coleman can be mitaged if Volkov and Joseph keep developing the way they are. Gourde is becoming the new Callahan though, guys 5 times cheaper than him are producing just as much.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
ABB is best suited for Killorns spot next year on the 2nd line. I think we could have a nice 4th line with size in Maroon-Smith-Colton next year.

The loss of Goodrow and Coleman can be mitaged if Volkov and Joseph keep developing the way they are. Gourde is becoming the new Callahan though, guys 5 times cheaper than him are producing just as much.
Gourde doesn't have Callahan's miles though, so I'm hoping he ages better.

I also don't know if it's a sure thing that Goodrow is gone next year. His contract value seems *about* right for what he brings. Great on the PK, great checker, great possession - and zero offense. Which is fine and he's an important part of the team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gourde doesn't have Callahan's miles though, so I'm hoping he ages better.

I also don't know if it's a sure thing that Goodrow is gone next year. His contract value seems *about* right for what he brings. Great on the PK, great checker, great possession - and zero offense. Which is fine and he's an important part of the team.

With Gourde, this is the 3rd year he'll be producing at 0.5PPG~ rate, he's still got 4 years left after this. I see a lot more potential for downside than up, starting to think it'd be better to let Vegas take him and get around that NTC. I think we''ll get more value out of Killorn in his final 2 years than we will Gourde on the remainder of his contract. Killorn is cheaper, just as productive and has less term, if you keep Killorn you throw that 700k cap difference at Goodrow and we can keep both.

At least 1 of Gourde's 2 best linemates will be gone next year, this has been the only spot where he's found consistency in the last 1.5 years. Don't really wanna play linemate roulette with him again if he finds himself in another 30 game slump, at least with Killorn you stick him anywhere and you get your 40 points. I like Gourde as a player, I don't think he'll ever age out of usefulness with that motor but just like Callahan, it's a matter of cost vs production.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Killorn also consistently gets 1PP time which Gourde never has gotten.

Just saying.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With Gourde, this is the 3rd year he'll be producing at 0.5PPG~ rate, he's still got 4 years left after this. I see a lot more potential for downside than up, starting to think it'd be better to let Vegas take him and get around that NTC. I think we''ll get more value out of Killorn in his final 2 years than we will Gourde on the remainder of his contract. Killorn is cheaper, just as productive and has less term, if you keep Killorn you throw that 700k cap difference at Goodrow and we can keep both.

At least 1 of Gourde's 2 best linemates will be gone next year, this has been the only spot where he's found consistency in the last 1.5 years. Don't really wanna play linemate roulette with him again if he finds himself in another 30 game slump, at least with Killorn you stick him anywhere and you get your 40 points. I like Gourde as a player, I don't think he'll ever age out of usefulness with that motor but just like Callahan, it's a matter of cost vs production.

You can always trade Palat and put Gourde in that spot. Gourde and Point were great together a few years ago. I don't think Palat does anything better than Gourde to where it would be a downgrade. Palat is the better playmaker while Gourde the better goalscorer.

The 3rd line would need a complete rework which is a problem. A lot of our success, especially in the playoffs, has been because of how good that line has been. You could hopefully use Joseph in the Coleman spot and resign Goodrow for a slight raise. For 3C we really don't have one now. Stephens had the potential but injuries have wrecked his development too many times where I don't see more than a 4th liner. Barre-Boulet isn't a C in the pros, he plays wing in Syracuse plus isn't good enough defensively for that spot. Colton has the two way game for it but hasn't played a NHL game yet to see if he can be that player. He's played great in the AHL but it's a big step up. Our best hope for a 3C just got drafted this past year in Finley who's years out, we are too wing heavy on the current roster and the prospect pool. We really need some more C depth.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You can always trade Palat and put Gourde in that spot. Gourde and Point were great together a few years ago. I don't think Palat does anything better than Gourde to where it would be a downgrade. Palat is the better playmaker while Gourde the better goalscorer.

The 3rd line would need a complete rework which is a problem. A lot of our success, especially in the playoffs, has been because of how good that line has been. You could hopefully use Joseph in the Coleman spot and resign Goodrow for a slight raise. For 3C we really don't have one now. Stephens had the potential but injuries have wrecked his development too many times where I don't see more than a 4th liner. Barre-Boulet isn't a C in the pros, he plays wing in Syracuse plus isn't good enough defensively for that spot. Colton has the two way game for it but hasn't played a NHL game yet to see if he can be that player. He's played great in the AHL but it's a big step up. Our best hope for a 3C just got drafted this past year in Finley who's years out, we are too wing heavy on the current roster and the prospect pool. We really need some more C depth.

Palat is much better than Gourde and is on shorter term, I don't see why we'd want Gourde for 4 more years. Palat is the best of the 4 expendable players.

Like you said, we're wing heavy so just move Stamkos back to center, bump Cirelli and we've just upgraded 2C and 3C.

Then in 2 years when Palat and Killorn are up, we'll have only core, effective players signed to term giving us maximum flexibility.

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Barre-Boulet-Stamkos-Joseph
Killorn-Cirelli-Goodrow
Maroon-Smith-Volkov
Colton/Stephens

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat is much better than Gourde and is on shorter term, I don't see why we'd want Gourde for 4 more years. Palat is the best of the 4 expendable players.

Like you said, we're wing heavy so just move Stamkos back to center, bump Cirelli and we've just upgraded 2C and 3C.

Then in 2 years when Palat and Killorn are up, we'll have only core, effective players signed to term giving us maximum flexibility.

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Goodrow
Maroon-Smith-Volkov
Colton/Stephens

What makes Palat much better than Gourde? Since Gourde's first full season in 17/18 he has played more games than Palat, more goals, assists, points, p/gm, ES points, SH goals, SH assists, SH points, takeaways. Palat has more hits and giveaways. Palat was better last year I'll give you, this year he has more points but half are on the PP with Gourde having more ES points. Palat has taken advantage of Kucherov being out by getting PP chances he wouldn't normally get and won't get next year.

Palat makes slightly more while Gourde has more term. I don't think we'll have that hard a time moving Gourde in another year. Palat will be available to trade this summer and will have lots of interest if we make him available. We can get a nice return for him which will help replenish what we've lost recently. If we have to pay to move Johnson then we definitely need some assets coming back in.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What makes Palat much better than Gourde? Since Gourde's first full season in 17/18 he has played more games than Palat, more goals, assists, points, p/gm, ES points, SH goals, SH assists, SH points, takeaways. Palat has more hits and giveaways. Palat was better last year I'll give you, this year he has more points but half are on the PP with Gourde having more ES points. Palat has taken advantage of Kucherov being out by getting PP chances he wouldn't normally get and won't get next year.

Palat makes slightly more while Gourde has more term. I don't think we'll have that hard a time moving Gourde in another year. Palat will be available to trade this summer and will have lots of interest if we make him available. We can get a nice return for him which will help replenish what we've lost recently. If we have to pay to move Johnson then we definitely need some assets coming back in.
Palat is better. What do you want some math formula? Watch the games

Reactions: Stammertime91

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Goodrow
Maroon-Smith-Volkov
Colton/Stephens

Palat Point Kuch '
Killorn Stamkos Joseph
Coleman Cirelli Goodrow

If this is anyway possible we can stay competitive. With what you listed above, I'd almost rather lose McD

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Is this a chart request?

Palat Charts

upload_2021-2-20_16-6-31.png

upload_2021-2-20_16-7-34.png

upload_2021-2-20_16-8-4.png

upload_2021-2-20_16-8-23.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad