Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Ryan Callahan (6 years, $5.8m AAV, partial NTC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stammer at 100% will blow you away. If you have NHL gamecenter or access to older games, check out any of the first 16 games this season (actually, probably games 3-16) and you'll see a guy who can challenge Crosby for the world's best player. He was a two-way beast.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I don't think I'd be able to be a Rangers fan as long as Sather is in place. And I'm not talking about the Callahan situation -- I actually get where he's coming from there. But the constant acquisition of vets, going back to like Lindros, and then the underperforming of those vets. Maybe that's just from the outside looking in, I don't know. But I can definitely understand how it would be frustrating, and I can also understand why so many Rangers fans were ecstatic with the SCF appearance this year after years of underachieving.

Stammer is one of the reasons Cally signed if you listened to one of his interviews. Cally's numbers have always been above average or solid, but he never had that top elite forward talent to play with. He had Nash who is I'm sorry not Elite, maybe when he was with Columbus but not anymore. He skated with Brad Richards, but not the 2004 Richards like you guys remember.

As per the Rangers organization and fans, they are proud of their SCF appearance, and they should be, last time was 20 years ago, and they have only been in the ECF 3 times since the SCF win in 1994. But it irks me, when they say it was solely because of the MSL trade and they would get eliminated in the first round if Cally was still there. :shakehead

BTW, You know whats cool and hope it continues? Rangers have a hard time figuring out Bishop. Bishop always seems to take King........... LOL get it? :laugh:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Been a lightning fan since I was 7 years old went to expo hall!! Watched us beat the Blackhawks 7 to 3 opening night in 1992! I'm very pleased with mr vinik I think he is one of the best owners in sports. Hiring steve yzerman was the best move he ever could have made! You have players that want to come play here now! Callahan wanted to stay did not want to leave! Vinik yzerman and etc.. Sold him on tampa bay quickly! As a bolt fan I have seen such bad owners here I'm happy that's gone and hope vinik owns the team for a very long time!

We've never had a better owner, that's for sure. Win or lose, at least we don't have to be sad to be Lightning fans anymore. World Class!

And I'm really happy Cally is staying. Others can say what they want to about the contract. It's not perfect, but he is a guy this team needs so badly and it's nice to have somebody that wants to be here so much he didn't even look at other offers when he knew he could have made more.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cooper apparently had a big part in that too. Picked Cally up at the airport and it seems like Cally hasn't forgotten that.

I thought that was awesome. I actually picture Cally flying in, going into the shuttle and hearing MSL's voice, the guy he just got traded for after being with a team for 8 years plus, but then seeing your new head coach picking you up from the airport instead of a company car or something. It was just a classy move by Cooper, and they just kept impressing him from the start, especially the fans like yourself.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We've never had a better owner, that's for sure. Win or lose, at least we don't have to be sad to be Lightning fans anymore. World Class!

And I'm really happy Cally is staying. Others can say what they want to about the contract. It's not perfect, but he is a guy this team needs so badly and it's nice to have somebody that wants to be here so much he didn't even look at other offers when he knew he could have made more.
Man I know when ok hockey was here I thought they were gonna lose the team to Winnipeg! We still got one more contract from them ohlund then we can move on!!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Leave it to the man himself to sum up our pro-Callahan arguments:

“He plays the game hard every night, practices the right way, conducts himself the right way off the ice,’’ Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. “I believe it’s extremely important that young players come in and learn how to be professional on and off the ice. So the more people you have like that around it’s only going to benefit the culture. You have to have the right people there and he fits into what we are trying to accomplish.”

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/lightning-sign-callahan-to-six-year-deal-20140625/

Have to wonder if Malone's not a tad bit on his mind with that statement.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leave it to the man himself to sum up our pro-Callahan arguments:

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/lightning-sign-callahan-to-six-year-deal-20140625/

That's the thing dude, people especially on the HF boards only seem to care about goals and points and not the overall game. The good thing is, Callahan can score goals also, and put up points, but if people expect him to be putting up 60 points plus just because he is earning 5.8 Million they really don't understand this game.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Did Cally continue to coast every night after the trade? He was obviously playing not to get hurt while on the Rangers this past season, and his "intangibles" everyone praises were missing the whole season. Add that to his ridiculous demands for his new contract, and not too many Rangers fans are missing him...

I can see from his stats he had ANOTHER awful playoffs, get used to that...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Did Cally continue to coast every night after the trade? He was obviously playing not to get hurt while on the Rangers this past season, and his "intangibles" everyone praises were missing the whole season. Add that to his ridiculous demands for his new contract, and not too many Rangers fans are missing him...

Noted. Thanks.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think you should change your username to McSour. :sarcasm:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

He absolutely never took even one shift off the time he was here. He did not have an awful playoffs he created imo 3 goals for us or was part of reason hitting boards we got those goals or was in front blinding price.

Next he had a HUGE goal taken away unfairly that might have changed this entire series we will never know. Doesnt matter we were not going anywhere without bishop.

Third his deal is pretty fair in todays market toews and kane are looking at 12 was a rumor out today:) Now that is coming down but that is what a superstar wants in todays market. Get used to it.

We will see in time which team beats up and owns the other:) Good luck to you.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
He absolutely never took even one shift off the time he was here. He did not have an awful playoffs he created imo 3 goals for us or was part of reason hitting boards we got those goals or was in front blinding price.

Well that's good to hear. All year long he almost never showed up and was not the same player he was in years before (hitting, blocking all shots, etc.) and was just coasting each night. Then he went to the Olympics and played like he does when he is at his best (I CRINGED every time he blocked a shot in the tournament, that's for sure haha). Now that he has his security, paycheck and no-trade clause, I'm sure he will be the player he was for the Rangers every year up until this one...

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well that's good to hear. All year long he almost never showed up and was not the same player he was in years before (hitting, blocking all shots, etc.) and was just coasting each night. Then he went to the Olympics and played like he does when he is at his best (I CRINGED every time he blocked a shot in the tournament, that's for sure haha). Now that he has his security, paycheck and no-trade clause, I'm sure he will be the player he was for the Rangers every year up until this one...

He knew his time with the Rangers was on borrowed time when he was not getting PP time, and that is one of his strengths is the PP.

It's all good, he got the job security, took less money to be on a contending team, and now he wants to win. So I think Tampa will "continue" to see the Callahan that Rangers fans grew to love.

I apologize for the McSour comment was just teasing.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
They charged my CC $14,000, had to hire a lawyer, it was just settled. See, you are supposed to authorize the renewal for next season. They also lied to me about having half seasons available. This is why MSG prices are through the roof if you want to see a game. You have people with suit and ties in all the lower sections, while the true fans are up in the nosebleed seats. It is just not right.

In that case I don't blame you at all. I will never root for the Rays again due to similar circumstances.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
He knew his time with the Rangers was on borrowed time when he was not getting PP time, and that is one of his strengths is the PP.

It's all good, he got the job security, took less money to be on a contending team, and now he wants to win. So I think Tampa will "continue" to see the Callahan that Rangers fans grew to love.

I apologize for the McSour comment was just teasing.

Haha no worries, I chuckled at work when I saw that.

You're definitely right about the PP time. His net front presence on the PP was one of the shining spots in past years (pretty much the only positive of our PP in the past decade+), but was not utilized under our PP this year.

Overall, it was just frustrating seeing a different Callahan this year.

Looking forward to our match-ups this year! Maybe we'll actually get a goal against Bishop this year :sarcasm:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In that case I don't blame you at all. I will never root for the Rays again due to similar circumstances.

I am not sure how the Lightning work their plans. You basically get a notification to renew your season tickets. You have to authorize them, and you have a choice to pay in full or pay installments. I used to always do the installments. Could not afford to pay all at once.

My seats cost me 165.00 a ticket and had 2 tickets. I can take a round trip flight to Tampa for that price, and still have extra money to buy a ticket to a game at the forum.

I had gotten a full season, could not get rid of the tickets and when I sold them, lost money. It was frustrating so I wanted to only get half season tickets, my season account rep totally lied to me, telling me half season are not available, but someone I know was able to purchase a half season in my section. I got a little assertive with her, and the next day get a charge of 14,000 on my debit card. totally bounced my checking account since I had other debits going on, and was charged all these fees for not having sufficient funds.

They denied me a refund saying I agreed to the tickets, but never clicked off yes on the season ticket holder page. I assume you guys who have season tickets work the similar way, right?

So Callahan getting traded, my folks buying a house just south of Tampa, The ticket fiasco was a sign for me to drop the Rangers and become a Tampa fan. I have to thank whatever or whoever because if I was still passionate about the Rangers them being down 3 - 0 and losing in the finals would of been devastating. Would of felt like the 2012 season run but even worse.

Sorry to lay it all out, but it's over so, got my money back so can talk about it.

BTW, love the new username. :D

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

You're definitely right about the PP time. His net front presence on the PP was one of the shining spots in past years (pretty much the only positive of our PP in the past decade+), but was not utilized under our PP this year.

Looking forward to our match-ups this year! Maybe we'll actually get a goal against Bishop this year :sarcasm:

the good news about callahan for most of our fans is we dont expect the goal scoring we expect him to be physical and solid get into net create opportunities. Some of us appreciate that because we don't or didn't have that guy lol. He plays his style I will be happy even if breaks a leg here and there on a shot etc..

I dont expect anything above 50 I know we need him at the net though that is going to open things up for our playmakers and snipers:)

Also the biggest thing is flat out callahan filppula and palat formed a line at one point that could pretty much shut down any offense in nhl. We get results like that man are we blessed with all the scorers we have etc..

That line and results it brought make the future here very bright thinking can compete with the boston's chicago's LA's finally. Now stamkos was struggling and we had to make a change and put palat and johnson on line one and might stay that way a bit in future but I dont see it for long kucherov maybe connolly and for sure drouin are going to have something to say about that soon. Having cally with flipper and palat on a line in the playoffs to me is worth the price of admission!!

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

See I was upset at the Cally hate, took it a little too personal, probably because I met the guy a bunch of times and he was such a class act. I was upset because he had the off-season surgery, did not get a pre-season or proper training camp. He did not get PP time towards his last 15 or so games with the Rangers and it was hard for him to rack in points during that time. It just was an unfair assessment of him last season, but when he got to Tampa and the trade rumors were not in his head he played like the old Callahan that we all grew to love and respect.

I mean 36 points in 65 games with severe reduced offensive time, is actually really good production. He was only getting 17 mins a game under AV., he got over 20 min under Cooper and got PP time.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
the good news about callahan for most of our fans is we dont expect the goal scoring we expect him to be physical and solid get into net create opportunities. Some of us appreciate that because we don't or didn't have that guy lol. He plays his style I will be happy even if breaks a leg here and there on a shot etc..

I dont expect anything above 50 I know we need him at the net though that is going to open things up for our playmakers and snipers:)

Also the biggest thing is flat out callahan filppula and palat formed a line at one point that could pretty much shut down any offense in nhl. We get results like that man are we blessed with all the scorers we have etc..

That line and results it brought make the future here very bright thinking can compete with the boston's chicago's LA's finally. Now stamkos was struggling and we had to make a change and put palat and johnson on line one and might stay that way a bit in future but I dont see it for long kucherov maybe connolly and for sure drouin are going to have something to say about that soon. Having cally with flipper and palat on a line in the playoffs to me is worth the price of admission!!

I hope Cooper puts back the Pallahan line next season. You could put Johnson on the top with Stammer and give him another play maker and the top 2 lines should be set.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Let's hope stamkos leg is better so palat flipper and Callahan can play on a line together again! I'd like to see drouin stamkos and Johnson as the top line! If stamkos is healthy him and Johnson can carry drouin to the Calder!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Drouin Johnson Stammer
Palat Filp Callahan
Killorn Namestnikov Kucherov
Brown Thompson Panik

Purcell/Connolly on fourth line or traded in a package for a D. I'd actually want Johnson on third, Namest in AHL and Connolly on first line on Stammers RW...just don't think he ready and two rookies with Stammer would be bad. Don't know where to slot Connolly actually...so trade bait and see what Namest can bring to that third line with Kucherov.

These I think are the lines I'd like to see.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Love the signing. He's definitely a player we need, and I am pleased with the terms of the deal. Can't wait to see him back in the lineup next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->