Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Ryan Callahan (6 years, $5.8m AAV, partial NTC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd give it some time.

IF he likes it in Tampa, big if, we might get him at a better discount than NYR because of the tax difference. The key might be Yzerman talking him down to 5 years, which some analysts seem to think Yzerman can do.

That said, he's got a lot to prove in a short amount of time if he wants anything in the $6 million range. If we don't make the playoffs, I see no way we re-sign him, simply because he won't have had time to win himself the contract. If we make the playoffs, I think the odds improve a fair bit.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
If I understand the trade conditionals...

1st: If the Rangers make the Conference finals the 2014 2nd round pick becomes a 2014 1st.

2nd: If the Lighting re-sign Callahan they send the Rangers a 2015 2nd for a 2015 7th?

I think getting another 1st makes not re-signing him at the cost of a 2nd (plus the financials) much more palatable. Its too soon to assess Callahan's long term fit on the team. If he delivers up to expectation based on previous performance I think we make every effort to bring him back as he'd fill a valuable role we have little of elsewhere on the team. Still, if his price is too high I hope we don't re-sign him as we still need to polish up the D and save some money for everybody else earning their future raises already.

General feeling? Someone will pay him more than Yzerman will have assessed his worth at and he's gone this summer.

Yzlamic Preacher*

1st: If the Rangers make the Conference finals the 2014 2nd round pick becomes a 2014 1st.

2nd: If the Lighting re-sign Callahan they send the Rangers a 2015 2nd for a 2015 7th?

I think getting another 1st makes not re-signing him at the cost of a 2nd (plus the financials) much more palatable. Its too soon to assess Callahan's long term fit on the team. If he delivers up to expectation based on previous performance I think we make every effort to bring him back as he'd fill a valuable role we have little of elsewhere on the team. Still, if his price is too high I hope we don't re-sign him as we still need to polish up the D and save some money for everybody else earning their future raises already.

General feeling? Someone will pay him more than Yzerman will have assessed his worth at and he's gone this summer.

The conditions are right. We still keep the first in 2015 and gain a 7th, they get our 2nd.

I also think someone will offer Callahan more money than Yzerman. The ball is really in Callahan's court. If he likes it here, he might sign for 5/5.5. Personally that is my top end for him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We also, I believe, still get the Rangers' 2nd if we resign him. We lose our own, so we would still have a second and gain a 7th.

Here's my understanding:

If we don't sign Callahan, we have:

2014 TB 1st
2014 TB 2nd
2014 NYR 2nd (could turn into 1st)

2015 NYR 1st
2015 TB 1st
2015 TB 2nd

If we sign Callahan, we have:

2014 TB 1st
2014 NYR 7th

2015 NYR 1st
2015 TB 1st
2015 TB 2nd

I could be wrong on the year of the 2nd and 7th that switched hands.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think we will find out we need a guy like him.

I do not see us paying him what buffalo will pay him.

I think we sign someone like ott over him.

I think we push for dan boyle as our top guy to get time will tell.

He can really make himself worthwhile though in a short period of time.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
We also, I believe, still get the Rangers' 2nd if we resign him. We lose our own, so we would still have a second and gain a 7th.

Here's my understanding:

If we don't sign Callahan, we have:

2014 TB 1st
2014 TB 2nd

2015 NYR 1st
2015 TB 1st
2015 TB 2nd

If we sign Callahan, we have:

2014 TB 1st
2014 NYR 7th

2015 NYR 1st
2015 TB 1st
2015 TB 2nd

I could be wrong on the year of the 2nd and 7th that switched hands.

Rangers would get the 2015 2nd, not the 2014

Yzlamic Preacher*

Not happeneing

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think he has to show us a $6 million dollar effort over the next 19 games. I have no doubt whatsoever he's a much-needed player for this roster, but he has a lot to prove to us. I'm hoping he does, but, like you, I'm not banking on it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think when both Yzerman and Vinik mention wanting to re-sign him he gets re-signed.

They have to say that though. It looks terrible if we acknowledge he's a rental. I think they're open minded to signing him, but I doubt the number they have in mind is the number Callahan has in mind, so he has to prove a lot to them in order for the deal to happen.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
They have to say that though. It looks terrible if we acknowledge he's a rental. I think they're open minded to signing him, but I doubt the number they have in mind is the number Callahan has in mind, so he has to prove a lot to them in order for the deal to happen.

No they don't. Vinik mentioned it in a letter to fans and Yzerman rarely reveals anything. They could have easily not said anything at all. In fact I'd argue saying they plan on re-signing him and then letting him go does far more PR damage than calling him a rental.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks for the input, The last three seasons before this one he had put up 133 points in 181 games, he is not declining like a few people are saying. If he puts up even a little less than that, he would be worth signing. Even this season he has 25 points in 45 games, while dealing with injuries, and was not put on the PP for about 15 games. He has been one of the top performers in the league on the PP. Look at his PPGs each season over the last 2 seasons. Cooper has to give him a lot of time on the PP, and the PK. He will be successful if he gets that ice time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No they don't. Vinik mentioned it in a letter to fans and Yzerman rarely reveals anything. They could have easily not said anything at all. In fact I'd argue saying they plan on re-signing him and then letting him go does far more PR damage than calling him a rental.

Not if he's asking for 6.5.

Yzerman keeps things close, sure, but there's no way he can go dark after trading Marty St. Louis. He had to pull some positives out. I think he DOES plan to TRY to sign Ryan Callahan. But does he believe it will happen? That, I'm not sure sure about. Everything I've seen/read says Buffalo's going to throw a lot of money and term at him. Yzerman hasn't shown much stomach for the kind of deal Callahan's asking for.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not if he's asking for 6.5.

Yzerman keeps things close, sure, but there's no way he can go dark after trading Marty St. Louis. He had to pull some positives out. I think he DOES plan to TRY to sign Ryan Callahan. But does he believe it will happen? That, I'm not sure sure about. Everything I've seen/read says Buffalo's going to throw a lot of money and term at him. Yzerman hasn't shown much stomach for the kind of deal Callahan's asking for.

In the end the Rangers and Callahan agreed to the money and term, which was 6 million and 6 years, it was the NMC that broke the deal. I can see Cally taking 5.5 million but Tampa has to offer him 6 years, imo to get a deal done. His market value now is around 5.5 to 5.7 million.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Yzerman wants him Yzerman will use his Jedi mind tricks no doubt.

"This is the contract you are looking for."

LOL, As a Callahan fan, hope he stays in Tampa where he can win, in Buffalo he would be Captain, but also King of the misfit toys, lol.

Anyway, hope a contract works out, my folks just bought a summer/winter house down in Florida, it's about 45 mins south of Tampa. Love to go to a game when I'm down there.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
If we can't sign him, these are the other top 2014 UFAs,
http://mynhltraderumors.com/free-agents/2014-top-30-nhl-free-agents/

The rest of the UFAs,
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

Outside of Vanek, there's not really a whole lot there that you couldn't envision already being on the roster that can probably be at least 85% as productive while being much cheaper.

I would actually love a pursuit at Vanek with the cap space there will be, but I'm pretty much of the train of thought that says Vanek-to-Minnesota is free agency kismet.

HotPaquette

Apr 7, 2012
Sarasota, Fl
LOL, As a Callahan fan, hope he stays in Tampa where he can win, in Buffalo he would be Captain, but also King of the misfit toys, lol.

Anyway, hope a contract works out, my folks just bought a summer/winter house down in Florida, it's about 45 mins south of Tampa. Love to go to a game when I'm down there.
That Wouldn't happen to be in the Sarasota, Bradenton area would it?

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
If the Rangers make the Conference finals, does having their next two firsts plus a truckload of cap space make an offer sheet to Subban, or maybe Gudbranson, an alternate idea?

Maybe its better to find that other top pairing D while you have the cap space to allocate toward it and a surplus of forwards. As opposed to reinvesting it all plus some in just retaining Callahan. Keeping Callahan makes more sense if we're trading or buying out Purcell (regular buyout, compliance is still more beneficial on Malone).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That Wouldn't happen to be in the Sarasota, Bradenton area would it?

Sarasota actually. :)

It's not crazy to follow a player, a lot of people do it. I don't like how the Rangers handled it. He grew up in the system and for his hard work, they throw him out over a NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->