Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign J.T. Brown (2 years, $950k AAV)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stone hands. He will never be a very good scorer. He does a lot of other things well but if he is going to be a third liner he has to show some signs of offense or something.
Fourth line that's fine but I would rather have a fighter or tough guy there

He can plug some great bottom six minutes in though. A good guy on the forecheck and the backcheck and he can kill penalties. Very useful guy with not a lot of scoring upside. 30 points in his best seasons, maybe?

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
He can plug some great bottom six minutes in though. A good guy on the forecheck and the backcheck and he can kill penalties. Very useful guy with not a lot of scoring upside. 30 points in his best seasons, maybe?

Yeah, like I said he does other things well
When you look at the structure of our team though, the first 3 lines are scoring lines.
Having two scorers playing with Brown is going to hurt them a lot.
(Kucherov, Connolly, hopefully not Drouin)
Brown is an energy fourth liner, I would like to leave him on the fourth line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, like I said he does other things well
When you look at the structure of our team though, the first 3 lines are scoring lines.
Having two scorers playing with Brown is going to hurt them a lot.
(Kucherov, Connolly, hopefully not Drouin)
Brown is an energy fourth liner, I would like to leave him on the fourth line.

I'm not sure if those lines are scoring lines by design though or simply because we have an abundance of guys who can score who can't be held in the AHL any longer. But, IMO, that makes a guy like Brown even more valuable, because we don't have a lot of guys who do what he can do, which is basically safely eat some minutes. It's also useful to have him around because some scorers tend to be a lot more effective with a thoroughbred grinder on their wing. Our GM was one of them.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I'm not sure if those lines are scoring lines by design though or simply because we have an abundance of guys who can score who can't be held in the AHL any longer. But, IMO, that makes a guy like Brown even more valuable, because we don't have a lot of guys who do what he can do, which is basically safely eat some minutes. It's also useful to have him around because some scorers tend to be a lot more effective with a thoroughbred grinder on their wing. Our GM was one of them.

Yeah that's what I mean, our first 3 lines have developed into scoring lines due to our roster. I don't think you want stone hands bringing down offensive production, if those guys Kucherov and Connolly want to learn how to score at the NHL level they need someone to help them through it. I just don't think it's a good idea to put him on the third line but that's just my opinion. I also don't think it's a smart idea to have a 5'10 player used as a grinder, I would use him as an energy forward on the fourth line like I said.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah that's what I mean, our first 3 lines have developed into scoring lines due to our roster. I don't think you want stone hands bringing down offensive production, if those guys Kucherov and Connolly want to learn how to score at the NHL level they need someone to help them through it. I just don't think it's a good idea to put him on the third line but that's just my opinion. I also don't think it's a smart idea to have a 5'10 player used as a grinder, I would use him as an energy forward on the fourth line like I said.

The term "grinder" is a bit slippery maybe, since I think of most 3rd/4th liners like Brown as grinders. But the thing about Brown is, it wouldn't be shocking to see him get some looks on uniquely built scoring lines. Steve Yzerman had what was probably the best year of his career (in terms of two-way play) with Darren McCarty as his main RW. It wouldn't shock me at all if it turns out a guy like Jo Drouin plays a lot better with a stone-handed energy guy on his RW.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
The term "grinder" is a bit slippery maybe, since I think of most 3rd/4th liners like Brown as grinders. But the thing about Brown is, it wouldn't be shocking to see him get some looks on uniquely built scoring lines. Steve Yzerman had what was probably the best year of his career (in terms of two-way play) with Darren McCarty as his main RW. It wouldn't shock me at all if it turns out a guy like Jo Drouin plays a lot better with a stone-handed energy guy on his RW.

I guess we will see what line combos happen and see how it works out

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I guess we will see what line combos happen and see how it works out

Yeah. All I mean is Brown has some versatility. He'll spend most of his career as a 3rd/4th liner, but he can do dirty work, he has speed, and some scorers thrive on having that kind of guy on their wing so I don't think he'd be holding anyone back. If we were being him 2m it would be a different story. But at 1M? For a guy who stayed in the lineup even while Kucherov was seeing pressbox duty? Sign me up.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Yeah. All I mean is Brown has some versatility. He'll spend most of his career as a 3rd/4th liner, but he can do dirty work, he has speed, and some scorers thrive on having that kind of guy on their wing so I don't think he'd be holding anyone back. If we were being him 2m it would be a different story. But at 1M? For a guy who stayed in the lineup even while Kucherov was seeing pressbox duty? Sign me up.
I totally agree with having him on the roster..I'm just not his biggest fan and would rather have him on the 4th line, but I do see the tools he has to help the team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I totally agree with having him on the roster..I'm just not his biggest fan and would rather have him on the 4th line, but I do see the tools he has to help the team.

He'll spend a lot of time on the 4th line, no doubt. But he's a guy who gives us the ability to try out different looks if we want. Same can't be said for a guy like Crombeen, for instance, who's a more meat-and-potatoes 4th liner. I'm just a big fan of versatility.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
He'll spend a lot of time on the 4th line, no doubt. But he's a guy who gives us the ability to try out different looks if we want. Same can't be said for a guy like Crombeen, for instance, who's a more meat-and-potatoes 4th liner. I'm just a big fan of versatility.

I would pick Brown over Crombeen all day every day

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I dont remember this the same myself. Darren with him was kinda a bust a tag along I dont see how his 26 13 or 29 point years wasnt a problem imo.

Now if your saying Darren played with stevie in 1996 we had other guys coming in hall of fame guys the only line that was for sure on most nights was the russians I had thought been a long time.

Darren came in 1993 stevie was already in decline from his top level. Great season injury great season great season ok season x 3 and by than he had some hall of fame help.

Darren on his line was argue wise a bust. Just didnt have anyone better? I dont even know how you can make this statement on two way play what year? When he played with others he played better imo. So I assume you talking about 1996-1997 first cup run? The next year mccartney moved to the grind line replacing kocur I thought?

but getting back to the point there is stone hands and stone hands. JT Brown belongs no where near a top six position. Maybe that changes but man do I not want to see it his defense is not a difference maker to deserve even consideration of that role on this team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont remember this the same myself. Darren with him was kinda a bust a tag along I dont see how his 26 13 or 29 point years wasnt a problem imo.

Now if your saying Darren played with stevie in 1996 we had other guys coming in hall of fame guys the only line that was for sure on most nights was the russians I had thought been a long time.

Darren came in 1993 stevie was already in decline from his top level. Great season injury great season great season ok season x 3 and by than he had some hall of fame help.

Darren on his line was argue wise a bust. Just didnt have anyone better? I dont even know how you can make this statement on two way play what year? When he played with others he played better imo. So I assume you talking about 1996-1997 first cup run? The next year mccartney moved to the grind line replacing kocur I thought?

but getting back to the point there is stone hands and stone hands. JT Brown belongs no where near a top six position. Maybe that changes but man do I not want to see it his defense is not a difference maker to deserve even consideration of that role on this team.

Most people, myself included (and Scotty Bowman), believe Yzerman's best years were in his early thirties after he turned himself into a two-way force and started winning cups. Bowman used pairs more than full lines, and Yzerman's constant partner was Brendan Shanahan. But the year Darren McCarty scored 49 points, he spent a lot of time on that line.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Most people, myself included (and Scotty Bowman), believe Yzerman's best years were in his early thirties after he turned himself into a two-way force and started winning cups. Bowman used pairs more than full lines, and Yzerman's constant partner was Brendan Shanahan. But the year Darren McCarty scored 49 points, he spent a lot of time on that line.

i think he got a huge amount of power play time and holmstrom got injured:) that was the second year of championship by the way. homer was back for playoffs so that is why darren only had think was 7 points:) The year before yeah darren was not great but no one was better the first championship lol.

Darren did light it up that year he had a bunch of shorties too I believe and that is when the grind line truly became:)

Just looked it up yep you were right darren was big part first year of the cup with stevie. Second year he did ok and came through in playoffs for 11 points and helped out when homer went down during season for a bit so had 49 than 37 and 7 and 11 for points in playoffs not bad.

Good luck to JT Brown though doing those types of things:)

I also think having a callahan will rub off on guys so in time wont need a brown. Now if brown can become helm I want him:)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
i think he got a huge amount of power play time and holmstrom got injured:) that was the second year of championship by the way. homer was back for playoffs so that is why darren only had think was 7 points:) The year before yeah darren was not great but no one was better the first championship lol.

Darren did light it up that year he had a bunch of shorties too I believe and that is when the grind line truly became:)

Just looked it up yep you were right darren was big part first year of the cup with stevie. Second year he did ok and came through in playoffs for 11 points and helped out when homer went down during season for a bit so had 49 than 37 and 7 and 11 for points in playoffs not bad.

Good luck to JT Brown though doing those types of things:)

I also think having a callahan will rub off on guys so in time wont need a brown. Now if brown can become helm I want him:)

There's a story about Yzerman nearly flying through a 20 story hotel window after hurling himself at McCarty in a wrestling match. Where would the Lightning be today if the glass hadn't held? ;)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
There's a story about Yzerman nearly flying through a 20 story hotel window after hurling himself at McCarty in a wrestling match. Where would the Lightning be today if the glass hadn't held? ;)

very good thing.

I forgot darren was still riding with stevie that first year and kocur started the grind line kinda funny. Homer thought was 93 but was rookie in 96. Too many changes.

I disagree with scotty on best years but stevie always played well and most his years got wasted or the good ones by not having team around him to win:)

Goalies etc.. They were still fun to watch and when started adding guys lidstrom larionov etc.. I was starting to feel it the change:)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
i.e Dana Tyrell version 2.0?

Possibly, but I do think he has more to his offensive game than Tyrell does. Even if he doesn't go on to score a few more goals, he creates more chances, he works in the offensive zone better, and he has better playmaking ability than Tyrell.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Possibly, but I do think he has more to his offensive game than Tyrell does. Even if he doesn't go on to score a few more goals, he creates more chances, he works in the offensive zone better, and he has better playmaking ability than Tyrell.

He also throws his body around more.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He also throws his body around more.

Yeah, he's a lot stronger despite being undersized. I don't think Tyrell is a great comparison other than the fact they're both smallish and fast. Brown's size hasn't been an issue so far. Doubt it ever will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad