Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign D Braydon Coburn (2 years, $1.7M AAV)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont doubt that he would sign one. Especially when a team is offering a major pay day. I know this is a business first but I do think there is loyalty and while that also comes with a price, the team/location comes into play as well. Lets also not forget the "tax advantage" everybody loves to talk about. SY would need to offer something we just couldnt do. I think anything above 11 may have our guys questioning it. They certainly could do it with all the cap space they have. However, I would be surprised if SY did it honestly.

SY is the ultimate competitor, which means he can be pretty cut throat. I think that's what makes him such a good GM--he'll make the best decision to help his team win, even when the optics are horrible.

I'm afraid of an offer sheet in Point's case because I think teams know we'll match anything. So some team in the Atlantic can swing by, offer 12m, and suddenly our "everybody takes a little less" philosophy is ****ed. Or we don't match, and they overpay for the prime years of a franchise C, which isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

I don't know. This one worries me more than Kucherov, both because of the comments/rumors floating around the league on offer sheets becoming a thing, but also because Kuch's first RFA contract came when he wasn't really a guy people were looking at like a cornerstone player (he'd just come off 65 points, but hadn't quite exploded yet). Point, meanwhile, is not just a great player, but also pretty much the perfect "face of a franchise" type player. He could set any bad organization in the league on the right track.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
SY is the ultimate competitor, which means he can be pretty cut throat. I think that's what makes him such a good GM--he'll make the best decision to help his team win, even when the optics are horrible.

I'm afraid of an offer sheet in Point's case because I think teams know we'll match anything. So some team in the Atlantic can swing by, offer 12m, and suddenly our "everybody takes a little less" philosophy is ****ed. Or we don't match, and they overpay for the prime years of a franchise C, which isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.

I don't know. This one worries me more than Kucherov, both because of the comments/rumors floating around the league on offer sheets becoming a thing, but also because Kuch's first RFA contract came when he wasn't really a guy people were looking at like a cornerstone player (he'd just come off 65 points, but hadn't quite exploded yet). Point, meanwhile, is not just a great player, but also pretty much the perfect "face of a franchise" type player. He could set any bad organization in the league on the right track.

I think I'm more so in the ask me when he is offer sheet eligible. When that day comes then I think the fear of an offer sheet grows exponentially. I just have a feeling we get it done soon and avoid that. Also saw this. Not that it really means anything.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Say for example that you trade Point to the Avs for Jost, Girard and Timmins and a secondrounder. Then you have a bunch of underpaid players on the roster: Cirelli, Joseph, Jost, Sergachev, Cernak, Vasilevski. Plus cap space (no Point) to sign Stralman, Erne and Paquette plus a UFA forward. A killer defense. Callahan can then walk in silence not demanding an asset to be traded in a package to get rid of him. Plus time to plan for a trade of another (expensive) forward.
Lot's of dynamic effects here.

Mackinnon or no deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad