Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign D Braydon Coburn (2 years, $1.7M AAV)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He must love Tampa because that's cheap as hell. Hope the other Brayden does the same.

Kinda hard not to. Almost everything in the world you could ever want as a family that Tampa doesn't is have is rarely ever more than an hour away. Add the fact you're gonna pocket a cool $2 million in take home pay and you're set for life.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
So this probably means we're done with our blueline for the summer right?

Hedman-Rutta/Sergachev
McDonagh-Cernak
Coburn-Sergachev/Rutta

Foote, Gaunce, Masin

Think this is beautiful:

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote
Coburn - Rutta

Can Callahan be bought out?

Will Point be traded?

Last edited:
Reactions: hagg18

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
For 1.7m, I doubt it. We're paying him marginally more than a prospect. He just sures things up on the bottom pairing. And if he declines to the point he doesn't belong in the league, it's not a huge loss, and he likely still has trade value. I think this would have been signed regardless what happened elsewhere.

Were we actually linked to Trouba? I never saw it. I think it was more, "Big name D? TB's always interested." I think we're interested in Karlsson because he can lead an offense, but I'm not so sure we had our eyes on Trouba.

I haven't heard anything on Trouba, just fan speculation. However, obviously lots of buzz about Karlsson and we still have that report from Friedman in February regarding our interest in Risto to consider.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Miller and Gourde do not have No Trade Clauses. Callahan has a limited NTC. All three would be dealt before considering not giving Point a fair value contract.

Hmm, Miller and Gourde do have NTC's according to CF and Callahan (limited NTC) would be hard to move. Erne and Paquette need contracts or should be replaced by others.

The solution to this should be interresting. Obviously the Stralman signing (my idea) is hard to justify if you want to keep Point. Callahan hard to keep (buyout) and maybe a NTC forward or someone will be asked we he wants to go...

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hmm, Miller and Gourde do have NTC's according to CF and Callahan (limited NTC) would be hard to move. Erne and Paquette need contracts or should be replaced by others.

The solution to this should be interresting. Obviously the Stralman signing (my idea) is hard to justify if you want to keep Point. Callahan hard to keep (buyout) and maybe a NTC forward or someone will be asked we he wants to go...
Coop the first day of camp addressing the team: 'If you don't want to work, this isn't the team for you, and we can accommodate trading you out.'

*minutes of awkward silence*

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

THe gourde Ntc clause kicks in on July 1st not now it’s not the new league year yet

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Think this is beautiful:

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote
Coburn - Rutta

Can Callahan be bought out?

Will Point be traded?

It's not that beatiful yet. We're very likely to be replacing Stralman, and that's gonna be the make-or-break acquisition for our D. I mean, it's going to be good no matter what, but I don't think it's among the very best in the league until we see who's taking over for Stralman.

Callahan is likely to be traded with an asset. Maybe we retain if the deal is creative.

I think JBB would rather cut off his pinky than trade Point.

Honestly, this is the first time I've been worried about an offer sheet though. Wasn't worried with Kuch, but all the quotes coming out of the league in the last year or so make me think times have changed, and GMs are gonna be a lot more cut-throat now.

Blatant blasphemy: It wouldn't shock me if Steve Yzerman made an offer. Point is everything Yzerman wants in a player, and everything Yzerman evolved into as a player himself. I think he would pay to get a franchise C in Detroit. Yzerman likes building down the middle, and Point-Larkin is a 1-2 punch that would be able to contend with anything in the league within a year or two.

I hope I'm wrong on that. Or, at least, I hope JBB doesn't let it get to that point.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It's not that beatiful yet. We're very likely to be replacing Stralman, and that's gonna be the make-or-break acquisition for our D. I mean, it's going to be good no matter what, but I don't think it's among the very best in the league until we see who's taking over for Stralman.

Callahan is likely to be traded with an asset. Maybe we retain if the deal is creative.

I think JBB would rather cut off his pinky than trade Point.

Honestly, this is the first time I've been worried about an offer sheet though. Wasn't worried with Kuch, but all the quotes coming out of the league in the last year or so make me think times have changed, and GMs are gonna be a lot more cut-throat now.

Blatant blasphemy: It wouldn't shock me if Steve Yzerman made an offer. Point is everything Yzerman wants in a player, and everything Yzerman evolved into as a player himself. I think he would pay to get a franchise C in Detroit. Yzerman likes building down the middle, and Point-Larkin is a 1-2 punch that would be able to contend with anything in the league within a year or two.

I hope I'm wrong on that. Or, at least, I hope JBB doesn't let it get to that point.

Only situation we get offersheeted is if a team wants to f*** with us. We have the cap space to match any offer so no one will actually think they are getting Point. Just trading Callahan, Miller and Gourde gives us over 16 million so even if a team goes crazy with a max contract we could match.

Not that it really matter since I’m 99% sure Point will be signed before july 1st.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Whatever good will there was between Yzerman and Vinik/Brisbois would evaporate if the Wings gave an offer sheet to Point. Frankly I dont think its going to happen from the Wings but it would not shock me if another team with plenty of cap space made a ridiculous offer!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Only situation we get offersheeted is if a team wants to **** with us. We have the cap space to match any offer so no one will actually think they are getting Point. Just trading Callahan, Miller and Gourde gives us over 16 million so even if a team goes crazy with a max contract we could match.

Not that it really matter since I’m 99% sure Point will be signed before july 1st.

Again, I wouldn't put any of that past Yzerman. ****ing with our cap wouldn't be a bad long-term move from where he's sitting.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Again, I wouldn't put any of that past Yzerman. ****ing with our cap wouldn't be a bad long-term move from where he's sitting.

That's a way to re-ignite the rivalry. My wonder with that is would Point consider signing? If he would then I think an offer sheet would become more likely. However, I dont see Point being that guy to screw up his own teams chances. I think TB would match anything under 10.5 but would collect the 4 first if over. Anything over is quite a lot of cash for a guy who some think is just feeding off of Kucherov, as far as points go. Would he put up those kind of points without Kucherov? Who knows but Im sure SY has that answer for the most part.

I think the question you would want to ask is would he spend over 10.5 for Point right now because that is what it would take to "mess" with this team. Which at that point I have no doubt we would collect the 4 firsts and use the cap on other things. Point is definitely an improvement over Johnson but Johnson has played well in that role before. I just dont know if offer sheeting Point really does all that much because I think in order for it to "mess" with things, he has gotta want to sign it first and foremost. Second thing is its gotta be over 10.5 because we match anything below that without too much issues.

From what the reports have sounded like he wants to be here and hasnt really thought about much otherwise. Marner sounds like a guy willing to sign one. Im not sure Point is, but if he is then offer sheets could happen and it wouldnt be surprising if it came from SY.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's a way to re-ignite the rivalry. My wonder with that is would Point consider signing? If he would then I think an offer sheet would become more likely. However, I dont see Point being that guy to screw up his own teams chances. I think TB would match anything under 10.5 but would collect the 4 first if over. Anything over is quite a lot of cash for a guy who some think is just feeding off of Kucherov, as far as points go. Would he put up those kind of points without Kucherov? Who knows but Im sure SY has that answer for the most part.

I think the question you would want to ask is would he spend over 10.5 for Point right now because that is what it would take to "mess" with this team. Which at that point I have no doubt we would collect the 4 firsts and use the cap on other things. Point is definitely an improvement over Johnson but Johnson has played well in that role before. I just dont know if offer sheeting Point really does all that much because I think in order for it to "mess" with things, he has gotta want to sign it first and foremost. Second thing is its gotta be over 10.5 because we match anything below that without too much issues.

From what the reports have sounded like he wants to be here and hasnt really thought about much otherwise. Marner sounds like a guy willing to sign one. Im not sure Point is, but if he is then offer sheets could happen and it wouldnt be surprising if it came from SY.

I think Detroit is in a position to offer Point a massive contract, one that we'd be hard-pressed to match. I have no doubt that Point wants to be here, but I think you have to have rose-colored glasses on to believe any player wouldn't sign an offer sheet, if only in hopes his team would match.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Say for example that you trade Point to the Avs for Jost, Girard and Timmins and a secondrounder. Then you have a bunch of underpaid players on the roster: Cirelli, Joseph, Jost, Sergachev, Cernak, Vasilevski. Plus cap space (no Point) to sign Stralman, Erne and Paquette plus a UFA forward. A killer defense. Callahan can then walk in silence not demanding an asset to be traded in a package to get rid of him. Plus time to plan for a trade of another (expensive) forward.
Lot's of dynamic effects here.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Say for example that you trade Point to the Avs for Jost, Girard and Timmins and a secondrounder. Then you have a bunch of underpaid players on the roster: Cirelli, Joseph, Jost, Sergachev, Cernak, Vasilevski. Plus cap space (no Point) to sign Stralman, Erne and Paquette plus a UFA forward. A killer defense. Callahan can then walk in silence not demanding an asset to be traded in a package to get rid of him. Plus time to plan for a trade of another (expensive) forward.

You sure you want to give up that much for a 1C? Who wouldn't want a soft, underperforming former 1st round pick, a LD that is worse than the three LD the team already has and a player who hasn't played a game in over a year because of injury, at least you threw in second rounder. Hey at least we have capspace to sign Stralman now, someone who's been steadily declining the past few seasons. There's only one dynamic effect here, we get f***ed and the team gets much worse.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Try Makar and pick #4

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If there is a team I would expect an offer sheet from it would be the Flyers. The put the screws to the Predators with one on Weber years back. They have cap space and would like nothing more than to put the screws to the Bolts.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Detroit is in a position to offer Point a massive contract, one that we'd be hard-pressed to match. I have no doubt that Point wants to be here, but I think you have to have rose-colored glasses on to believe any player wouldn't sign an offer sheet, if only in hopes his team would match.

I dont doubt that he would sign one. Especially when a team is offering a major pay day. I know this is a business first but I do think there is loyalty and while that also comes with a price, the team/location comes into play as well. Lets also not forget the "tax advantage" everybody loves to talk about. SY would need to offer something we just couldnt do. I think anything above 11 may have our guys questioning it. They certainly could do it with all the cap space they have. However, I would be surprised if SY did it honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad