Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign D Braydon Coburn (2 years, $1.7M AAV)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That's a very friendly deal.

The ufa dmen market is pretty shallow, so good on us to take care of Coburn before July

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So this probably means we're done with our blueline for the summer right?

Hedman-Rutta/Sergachev
McDonagh-Cernak
Coburn-Sergachev/Rutta

Foote, Gaunce, Masin
Maybe this is more of a question about what to do with Sergachev than Coburn, but do we keep 55 and 98 together again? I don't really want Rutta up with Hedman. If no other moves are made, hopefully Masin or Foote can grab a spot in camp.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Maybe this is more of a question about what to do with Sergachev than Coburn, but do we keep 55 and 98 together again? I don't really want Rutta up with Hedman. If no other moves are made, hopefully Masin or Foote can grab a spot in camp.

I would be shocked if Foote did not make it out of camp, Cernak and Rutta are our only true righties

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The D wasn't *technically* the problem. Injuries to Hedman and Stralman were significant detriments, but the meme this offseason are the forwards.
Forwards can't score in the playoffs when they all got country club contracts. Yzerman and Jbb gave long term deals to the supporting cast and it showed. Kilhorn, Palat, Johnson, Miller, and Gourde all have long-term contracts. I am a fan of only giving long-term deals to your core stars. Make the secondary scoring players earn their deals on a 2-4 year contract max. They are all replaceable and need to show up to win.
Yes i know that Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov did not produce either for various reasons. You cannot give country term deals to everyone or we turn into the Redwings under Holland all these overaged vets locked up long-term and are not producing. The difference these players are not replaceable talent wise so locking them up makes sense for the long term. Now if we lock up Point long term I would understand.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yes because I never expected Karlsson to come here like most of you

Point to where people on here said they expected him to come. Hope is a different word to use here. With the previous reports out there, it wasnt crazy to hope it.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I'm perfectly fine with this. Out of our 3 D FA I wanted Coburn back to anchor the 3rd pair. Happy with the term and $$$
We have Sergachev, Hedman, McD,Rutta, Cernak, and Coburn. That is our top 6 and we will have Foote pushing for the 6/7 spot versus Rutta. I am happy with this. Now we need to deal out a forward or two and sign Point and add some power forwards/grinders for the bottom 6.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
We have Sergachev, Hedman, McD,Rutta, Cernak, and Coburn. That is our top 6 and we will have Foote pushing for the 6/7 spot versus Rutta. I am happy with this. Now we need to deal out a forward or two and sign Point and add some power forwards/grinders for the bottom 6.
This

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I am ok with the D group to start the year! We cant fall into trap that just because we have a good record, we dont add anyone at trade deadline. Injuries will happen and bolts have to be prepared to address that better than what was done this year!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's a good deal. Saves us money while also getting good value. Coburn's still better than a 1.7m defenseman. It also keeps the salary low enough that, should his spot be taken by a prospect, it's not a huge deal to have 1.7m in the pressbox.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Doesn't sound like Trouba or Karlsson factored into this at all.

For 1.7m, I doubt it. We're paying him marginally more than a prospect. He just sures things up on the bottom pairing. And if he declines to the point he doesn't belong in the league, it's not a huge loss, and he likely still has trade value. I think this would have been signed regardless what happened elsewhere.

Were we actually linked to Trouba? I never saw it. I think it was more, "Big name D? TB's always interested." I think we're interested in Karlsson because he can lead an offense, but I'm not so sure we had our eyes on Trouba.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Point to where people on here said they expected him to come. Hope is a different word to use here. With the previous reports out there, it wasnt crazy to hope it.
The karlsson thread someone made here! That is now closed down just read in there! It was stupid I thought there was maybe a 5! Percent chance karlsson would come here! Some people even thought he would sign here for 8 million a year the Hedman contract lol.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The karlsson thread someone made here! That is now closed down just read in there! It was stupid I thought there was maybe a 5! Percent chance karlsson would come here! Some people even thought he would sign here for 8 million a year the Hedman contract lol.

Maybe there was a few saying he will sign here but I think most people were just holding onto the reports of him wanting to be here and there was a report saying he would even take less than Hedman. So some people were just going by what was reported. Cant blame people on here for that. I dont think people were expecting him to come, just really hoping. As was I.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He must love Tampa because that's cheap as hell. Hope the other Brayden does the same.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Just a good safe signing. Now let's see what we can do elsewhere to keep the key players, ahem, Point, here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad