Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Alexander Volkov | 1-year, $700K

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Who was it that was telling me the Volkov and Joseph wouldn't sign league min contracts? Was it @Todd1a or @Byrddog ? Well either way, here we go.
My question is how can this happen? His base salary last year was 832.500 he and Joseph were given qualifying offers which per the CBA were to be 105% of the previous years salary. That was what I was going off of. Now is there a limit of how long a player has to sign a QO before it expires? I do not know but I do understand the QO they were given. So ok you are right on this one but I will reserve the right to ask for your apology when Cirelli is moved.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
does it means that he can not be sent to AHL and he got NHL spot?
Yes that is what one way essentially means he would have to clear waivers to be sent down and would make the same 700k in the minors. But that is mute now he will ride the taxi this year.

Reactions: Peacefool

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
My question is how can this happen? His base salary last year was 832.500 he and Joseph were given qualifying offers which per the CBA were to be 105% of the previous years salary. That was what I was going off of. Now is there a limit of how long a player has to sign a QO before it expires? I do not know but I do understand the QO they were given. So ok you are right on this one but I will reserve the right to ask for your apology when Cirelli is moved.
You can sign under your QO if you chose to. Just looks like Joseph chose to.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You can sign under your QO if you chose to. Just looks like Joseph chose to.
I really do not think that is correct. The players association fought to get this in the CBA in order to give certainty to RFA raises and graduated it from 0% to 10% max for the qualifying offer. The did this for a unity among players move to ensure younger less impacting player would still receive raises. And I hope you mean Volkov not Joseph.

I see it now Joseph signed his QO amount and how does he deserve more than Volkov?

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yes that is what one way essentially means he would have to clear waivers to be sent down and would make the same 700k in the minors. But that is mute now he will ride the taxi this year.
One-way doesn't matter for having to clear waivers or not. Volkov has like 10 NHL games under his belt. It's just about what he makes in the NHL vs AHL.

As for the amounts Joseph and Volkov got, QOs expire. This year was a bit strange, but the offer expired Oct 18th.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I really do not think that is correct. The players association fought to get this in the CBA in order to give certainty to RFA raises and graduated it from 0% to 10% max for the qualifying offer. The did this for a unity among players move to ensure younger less impacting player would still receive raises. And I hope you mean Volkov not Joseph.

I see it now Joseph signed his QO amount and how does he deserve more than Volkov?

Because Joseph performed better.....?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Im curious what his role will be this season. Coop and Roest both made comments that they really like how he trained in phase 3 and then in the bubble. I think we’ve all been waiting for him to put it all together and finally see who he is as a nhler. The roster still needs some tweaking with the cap and any big move could open a larger opportunity up for him, but this year also feels like this could be it for him if he doesn’t take hold of something

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

The players were tendered a qualifying offer, that enables the team to hold their rights. Most players don't sign their QO. You probably say why wouldn't Volkov sign his QO at 835k or whatever it was instead of signing for 700k. If he signs his QO all it means is his caphit is 835k and if he's in the NHL all year he gets 835k. But he's a guy that doesn't have a locked down NHL spot and could be on waivers so back to Syracuse. If he's in Syracuse he's probably making 100k which is most likely what his minor league salary would be on his QO. By working with the team and not signing the QO he was able to negotiate a higher minor league salary, he ended up getting a one way deal so he'll get 700k no matter where he plays. Same for Joseph as he got himself more guaranteed money by not signing the QO and working with the team on a better contract even if the AAV is lower than it was for them last year.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
One-way doesn't matter for having to clear waivers or not. Volkov has like 10 NHL games under his belt. It's just about what he makes in the NHL vs AHL.

As for the amounts Joseph and Volkov got, QOs expire. This year was a bit strange, but the offer expired Oct 18th.
That makes sense then I know there is a expiration date at some point but as you say this year has been a make it up as you go thing. And two young players of this caliber is really not work arguing over Joseph really has not shown anything other than what a 6 week period two years ago. Volkov has really not shown anything .

They did increase the amount over Cap due to one way deals.

Hosem Yes what you say is true but it is a two edge sword. While they will get there NHL $$$$ it is not likely they play 10 games this year. The value after this contract is going to be pretty much nil. Volkov played 1 game in the playoffs last year and Joseph none. So in ten months had nothing on ice now they ride the Taxi for this season by next Oct at age 24 Volkov will probably end up going home and Joseph will be waived. So this has been a taxi move.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Because Joseph performed better.....?
7 points in 37 games thats a 15 point pace for a entire season. At 23 years old even a 4th liner would produce more Maroon paced for 29 points Ceddy paced 24 and both are better two way guys.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
7 points in 37 games thats a 15 point pace for a entire season. At 23 years old even a 4th liner would produce more Maroon paced for 29 points Ceddy paced 24 and both are better two way guys.

What about the 26 points the prior season in 70 games? That is a 30 point pace which is better than Maroon or Paquette. Those numbers were during his ELC which he was finishing last season so you can't go just by only one season of it. I don't think he's more than a speedy 4th liner, think the 3rd line player just isn't there anymore he doesn't have the consistency or scoring touch to stick in that role. He's signed for two more years just like Stephens so wondering if they see a potential connection their to be the mainstays on the 4th line with Maroon. It would mean they are looking to trade Paquette which makes sense financially i just think we will need him come playoff time again.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

And Volkov has 1 NHL point and a career high of 48 in the AHL, the same age as Joseph with a lot less done. Why are you surprised exactly?

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
They did increase the amount over Cap due to one way deals.

This is wrong.

If you send a guy down to the minors, up to $1m of his cap hit comes off the books. So in terms of cap hit, there is literally no difference between a $700k/$100k two-way deal and a $700k/$700k one-way deal.

There is a difference in actual cash, which Mr. Vinik seems willing to pay, because he's awesome.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The players were tendered a qualifying offer, that enables the team to hold their rights. Most players don't sign their QO. You probably say why wouldn't Volkov sign his QO at 835k or whatever it was instead of signing for 700k. If he signs his QO all it means is his caphit is 835k and if he's in the NHL all year he gets 835k. But he's a guy that doesn't have a locked down NHL spot and could be on waivers so back to Syracuse. If he's in Syracuse he's probably making 100k which is most likely what his minor league salary would be on his QO. By working with the team and not signing the QO he was able to negotiate a higher minor league salary, he ended up getting a one way deal so he'll get 700k no matter where he plays. Same for Joseph as he got himself more guaranteed money by not signing the QO and working with the team on a better contract even if the AAV is lower than it was for them last year.

This. Plus given the Lightning’s cap situation a greater cap hit might have actually disincentivized the team from calling them up, which would have both limited their career prospects and left them on their AHL salaries anyway. So by taking a little less in their NHL salaries they get both more guaranteed money and a better chance of making the NHL roster (or being activated to it later.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad