Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Alex Barre-Boulet | 3 years, $758,333 AAV

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
...so if that were the case, why take 3 years at a minimum salary? There's seriously no benefit to the player in doing this aside from getting paid NHL money even if he's in the AHL. Why take three years at minimum instead of one?

Maybe SY taught JBB the stare?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe SY taught JBB the stare?

LOL Yeah, or JBB was like, "Maybe you stay in the NHL... Maybe you don't. You're pretty small... But hey, at least this way you get paid."

It just feels like a VERY team friendly deal where the player gave little to no thought about his own interests. I mean, if he scores 20 goals this year -- not at all impossible -- he regrets this deal a lot. He's not going to make up all that RFA money as a UFA.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
...so if that were the case, why take 3 years at a minimum salary? There's seriously no benefit to the player in doing this aside from getting paid NHL money even if he's in the AHL. Why take three years at minimum instead of one?

If I'm not mistaken, we can sign him to an extension provided he meets the qualifiers during year 2 of the contract. By then we'll know if he's that good or just good enough to trade.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If I'm not mistaken, we can sign him to an extension provided he meets the qualifiers during year 2 of the contract. By then we'll know if he's that good or just good enough to trade.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The deal is VERY team friendly at that term. He could blow up as early as November. I mean, it's way better than an AHL deal, but for a guy who's almost guaranteed a roster spot? Maybe even on a scoring line? Lol I feel like his agent did him a disservice by not taking a 1 year prove it deal.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
In 3 years Mr one trick pony is finally off the books. That money is there for any of these three to take.

He was good early in the season and then same with last year... thing is he seems to regress as the season goes on. The length of time he's been in the league and the wear and tear he's taken on with injuries isn't surprising that he's been this way. Just hope he can still be useful for us during those years. Also wonder if he lasts that 3 years or retires early.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah, that's what I mean. The deal is VERY team friendly at that term. He could blow up as early as November. I mean, it's way better than an AHL deal, but for a guy who's almost guaranteed a roster spot? Maybe even on a scoring line? Lol I feel like his agent did him a disservice by not taking a 1 year prove it deal.

Signing this deal does suggest he's not sure he'll be in the NHL this year.

Which is a bit weird, because it looks like Katchouk, Raddysh and ABB are three guys fighting for 2 spots. They all signed identical deals, but I'd think ABB has the edge and it's really the other two fighting for one spot. Then you throw in the fact that just one injury or one case of the olds (from Bellemare or Perry) could mean that all three spend most of the season in Tampa.

On the flip side, it's hard to say he's potentially leaving all that much on the table by signing for 3 years. We're just not going to have the money to pay him much more than this next year, or the year after, and seems really unlikely that some other team would go after him with an offer sheet. But three years from now, that's when Stammer's contract is up and all bets are off as far as raises go.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He was good early in the season and then same with last year... thing is he seems to regress as the season goes on. The length of time he's been in the league and the wear and tear he's taken on with injuries isn't surprising that he's been this way. Just hope he can still be useful for us during those years. Also wonder if he lasts that 3 years or retires early.

If he doesn't retire, you gotta expect us to continue to sign him until he does. Hopefully for a lot less

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If he doesn't retire, you gotta expect us to continue to sign him until he does. Hopefully for a lot less

I don't think that will be the issue imo. Whether or not he can continue to play at at high level and stay healthy is the question. We all obviously hope he can and does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->