Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Alex Barre-Boulet | 3 years, $758,333 AAV

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Could be nice value if ABB becomes a decent depth scorer.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
I may be wrong, but I believe Tampa has approx 1.135 left they can spend with 21 signed. Of course that includes Gemel Smith's 750k 2way deal, so it could be as much as 1.885 with 20 signed.
Hopefully Sustr doesn't earn an astronomic bonus this year

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
This is a quality signing because ABB could replace Drej or be a strong 3rd liner.

If we can get Ross "the Boss" Colton signed, our offseason is perfect.

Sadly I think either Killer or Drej may have to go though.:confused:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Weird that he would be willing to take so much term on that deal.

Great for the team though. Even if we have to move him at some point -- this gives him value.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Weird that he would be willing to take so much term on that deal.

Great for the team though. Even if we have to move him at some point -- this gives him value.

great deal for him 3 year term and then after he is a UFA so he can hit the market or make the Lightning pay up after that.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
This is a quality signing because ABB could replace Drej or be a strong 3rd liner.

If we can get Ross "the Boss" Colton signed, our offseason is perfect.

Sadly I think either Killer or Drej may have to go though.:confused:
I don’t see the Lightning trading killer or Palat. Only way it would work would be for money to come back to maximize LTIR.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
great deal for him 3 year term and then after he is a UFA so he can hit the market or make the Lightning pay up after that.

The whole "walking him to UFA" line only works if the player is actually making decent money in the meantime, like Matthews or Marner in Toronto.

This deal is weird because it's like a player betting against himself by taking three years rather than, say, one. He's a good candidate to be in a prominent role this year, where it's not implausible that he will put up 40 or so points. If he were to do that, he would then get the standard lightning bridge deal, probably in the 2m range, for his remaining RFA years. And then he's still walked to UFA, but with a lot more $ in his pocket.

To me, this deal is odd, because he could potentially be leaving a lot of money on the table. I mean, it's safer for him in one sense because he's getting paid even if he can't stick to the NHL. But that's what I mean by he didn't exactly bet on himself to succeed here.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The whole "walking him to UFA" line only works if the player is actually making decent money in the meantime, like Matthews or Marner in Toronto.

This deal is weird because it's like a player betting against himself by taking three years rather than, say, one. He's a good candidate to be in a prominent role this year, where it's not implausible that he will put up 40 or so points. If he were to do that, he would then get the standard lightning bridge deal, probably in the 2m range, for his remaining RFA years. And then he's still walked to UFA, but with a lot more $ in his pocket.

To me, this deal is odd, because he could potentially be leaving a lot of money on the table. I mean, it's safer for him in one sense because he's getting paid even if he can't stick to the NHL. But that's what I mean by he didn't exactly bet on himself to succeed here.
They all take one for the team it seems. Can’t complain from a team (fan) perspective but I agree it’s odd from the player’s perspective.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

Agree, he chose not to bet on himself, but I'd guess we were playing hardball and the only way we'd offer any one-way years was if he took the three-year deal. (Note that even the first year of this contract is two-way, while the final two years are one-way.)

He's a 24-year old, undrafted free agent coming off an ELC, and given that he's only played 15 NHL games over three professional years that means he's made about $430k -- total -- in his hockey career.

He just signed a contract that means he's going to earn at least $1.7 million, no matter what.

If he had bet on himself and taken a one-year (two-way) contract, and if he lost that bet, he might have only earned about $100k this year and who knows what in the future. I can't claim that, if I were in his position, I wouldn't take the bird in the hand like he did.

edit: forgot his bonuses on his elc; updated his estimated earnings to-date above

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

OR he is betting on himself to become a star and when the salary cap finally breaks a lot higher he will have his choice of staying here for more money or hitting the market as a UFA.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I bet ABB knows he has the inside track on a scoring line this year, so he's willing to take this kind of deal in exchange for that opportunity

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
OR he is betting on himself to become a star and when the salary cap finally breaks a lot higher he will have his choice of staying here for more money or hitting the market as a UFA.
...so if that were the case, why take 3 years at a minimum salary? There's seriously no benefit to the player in doing this aside from getting paid NHL money even if he's in the AHL. Why take three years at minimum instead of one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad