Speculation: Lightning made best offer for Panthers' top pick

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You don't see a lot the Lightning could have offered except their franchise defenseman? Well now:help:

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
Haha, I just had to put something so I wasn't spamming the board again, I just couldn't see Yzerman making an offer that the Panthers would be attracted to without it being insane....I figured I'd start with an insane suggestion :p

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Haha, I just had to put something so I wasn't spamming the board again, I just couldn't see Yzerman making an offer that the Panthers would be attracted to without it being insane....I figured I'd start with an insane suggestion :p

A lot of people overrated Ekblad. It seems the Panthers didn't, since they apparently didn't think Ehlers would have been a big step down. The Lightning could have, and apparently did, put together an enticing package that just wasn't quite enough. Probably because our pick was 19th and out of Ehlers range.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'd guess we offered Connolly kucherov and both first rounders in 2014. Who knows no way we offered Hedman if yzerman did tallon would be stupid to not take that!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The only way you'd get 1st overall is for overpayment. No one would sell it for actual fair value.

I agree. But even for a 1st overall that is a pretty severe overpayment. 2 roster players, 2 first rounders AND something else for a prospect? No way Tallon turned that down.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
So, the Lightning offered Hedman who's not only the sure thing but also is now already better than what Ekblad has potential to be - sure, Panthers probably wouldn't have accepted that offer. Obviously.

I think it probably was 2 1sts + winger prospect (Connolly or Kucherov) and perhaps a small plus.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...t-offer-for-panthers-top-pick/comment-page-1/

I don't see a lot the Lightning could have offered, unless it was somebody big....Hedman?

I don't understand this post. You don't see a lot the lightning could have offered? TB probably had at the time, the most and arguably the best tradable assets in the league to make an offer at that point.

It was probably Connolly two firsts(mixture of 14 and 15), and a pick of another good prospect.

I for one am glad we didn't do it. I'd rather have Deangelo and the stuff we would have traded than Ekblad.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Koekkoek + Connolly + 19th.

I think that's probably pretty close. Maybe even 28th instead of 19th. Definitely something substantial enough to make the Panthers think, but something they could still turn down.

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
What I've heard, the best offer for 1st overall pick was something like Connolly + Kucherov + both 1st rounders. But whole possible trade failed after Tallon mentioned that he wants Drouin or Vasilevskiy as main piece. After that, SFY puts the phone down.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad