Confirmed with Link: Lightning hire Derek Lalonde as Assistant Coach

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I know nothing about this guy. Can anyone provide any insight?

Defense coach? Special teams? Offense? What's this guys specialty and what's his 'best' feature?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Nothing stands out for me from the big stats for his team last year. Gave up a lot of goals, almost scored as many goals. Looks like middle of the pack special teams. Would like to hear some feedback from the upper brass about this hire or I'll have to do a lot more digging.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Nothing stands out for me from the big stats for his team last year. Gave up a lot of goals, almost scored as many goals. Looks like middle of the pack special teams. Would like to hear some feedback from the upper brass about this hire.
Iowa has never made the playoffs, which says to me that it's not the priority.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Nothing stands out for me from the big stats for his team last year. Gave up a lot of goals, almost scored as many goals. Looks like middle of the pack special teams. Would like to hear some feedback from the upper brass about this hire or I'll have to do a lot more digging.
He took a bottom tier AHL team and turned them into a tweener for making the playoffs. He got shafted quite a bit with how the Wild managed the callups, but he was an upgrade it seemed from the previous one.

Reactions: Hoek

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Tampa Bay Lightning add Derek Lalonde to coaching staff
Bowness was in charge of the defensemen and the penalty kill. Lauer served as a spotter in the press box during games. Jeff Halpern was promoted from the Syracuse Crunch to take over coaching the forwards while Todd Richards shifted over to coach the defensemen. It seems that Lalonde will take over Lauer’s spot in the press box during games.

Lalonde is a different player-turned-coach situation than normal because he was a goaltender. Goaltenders tend towards specifically coaching goaltenders. Most coaches that were players tend to be forwards and defensemen.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Ah so it is that same Lalonde that was a goalie. I don't have enough information about the guy to form an opinion yet. Where is AndreRoy or MattWattson or Hose? They tend to know the obscure stuff and have some good insight on stuff like this.

PS: This is genuine not a jab.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Ah so it is that same Lalonde that was a goalie. I don't have enough information about the guy to form an opinion yet. Where is AndreRoy or MattWattson or Hose? They tend to know the obscure stuff and have some good insight on stuff like this.

PS: This is genuine not a jab.

One of these are not the same.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'd try a new guy every year just so we can find a replacement for Cooper. Cooper should be the funny equipment manager, not our head coach.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'd try a new guy every year just so we can find a replacement for Cooper. Cooper should be the funny equipment manager, not our head coach.
All the sudden if our defense looks great this year under todd Richards then I would ask what is cooper doing here ?

Reactions: DaBolts

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
All the sudden if our defense looks great this year under todd Richards then I would ask what is cooper doing here ?
I'm not saying this is the case, but just because someone has a grip on all of the technical aspects at the NHL level does it mean that they can also communicate it or bring the players together under it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Major LOL's to think that all Lauer had to do was sit his ass in the press box and communicate with Bowness and was absolutely awful at it. That's a guy who will be lucky to ever have an NHL job again.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I honestly don't know specifically what Cooper is in charge of, but the team scored more goals than any other team in the past decade. On paper that doesn't surprise. On paper the defense should be great too though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->