Lightning extend Jon Cooper

acor

Jan 13, 2012
not true necessarily, but coaching doesnt have as much to do with players like kucherov, stamkos and point absolutely destroy everyone offensively. you dont really coach that.

but what trotz is doing in new york, they are succeeding because of his system

Why "you don't coach that"??? As I know (don't follow non-NHL hockey, or drafts much) Kucherov and Point weren't big prospects??? You think coaching doesn't have anything to do with what are they now???

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why "you don't coach that"??? As I know (don't follow non-NHL hockey, or drafts much) Kucherov and Point weren't big prospects??? You think coaching doesn't have anything to do with what are they now???

kucherov absolutely shrecked the q and the ahl and point absolutely was a dominant junior player but teams were scared to draft smaller players

idk if this was a joke or serious

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Wait wait wait

So firing the most successful and popular coach in team history and risking pissing off that possibly 60+ win locker room that's done nothing but say it's their fault for not winning last year is your idea of a business decision?

In 2014 Bishop and Johnson (our two best players) were hurt and we got bounced by the "dynasty"

In 2015 we didn't have Stamkos til game 7 of the ECF, Stralman was 50% and Bishop was hurt.

Last year we were outright. I'd say Coop has a pass
It's out of my hands. Hopefully, they play like the caps did last season with a huge chip on their shoulder. This is the year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Trotz is a great story but it's hard not to give COTY to the guy that leads his team to the best finish in ages.

I think this trophy is usually a reflection of how much better a team does than whatever the expectation was.

The isles are going into the final month with a legitimate shot for the division title. Who would have imagined that coming into a season where they lost their franchise player. Who thought they would completely flip their GAA into one of the best this year with Lehner and greiss?

Tampa has exceeded expectations as well, but everyone knew they would be a powerhouse. The isles have exceeded expectations more than any other team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's out of my hands. Hopefully, they play like the caps did last season with a huge chip on their shoulder. This is the year.

They have played this year like they have a chip on their shoulders. We will see if that continues in the playoffs. Not sure why it wouldnt the way the players have been talking about how it's all about the playoffs.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
He definitely deserves it, but I wonder how long he'll last if they don't win a Cup this year or next.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Is it still consensus that was a good and well deserved extension?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
he should be f***ing gone. this was an embarrasment. to be fair we werent bad for stretches in games 1 3 and 4 (and i think with fair officiating we win at least one of those games probably game 3) but for it to even have to come to that is a f***ing disgrace.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
losing in 6 or 7 to cbj would have been fine i wouldnt have cared

but for this dismal effort for most of the series? for no changes in strategy on zone entries and exits, and the players not being motivated enough to try in any puck battle?

disgraceful. ive defended cooper in the past but this is the final straw for me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
he should be ****ing gone. this was an embarrasment. to be fair we werent bad for stretches in games 1 3 and 4 (and i think with fair officiating we win at least one of those games probably game 3) but for it to even have to come to that is a ****ing disgrace.

It is a disgrace I agree.

I think the most compelling story this off season now becomes how badly Tampa overreacts. Fire Cooper. Trade Stamkos. Blow it up. Fire everyone. etc

I'm not saying they shouldn't do anything - but they're still the best team by far this season and best in a very, very long time. I think being trigger happy and overreacting with trades and firings is the worst thing they can do.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't do anything though. No idea what the best answer is.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

I think the most compelling story this off season now becomes how badly Tampa overreacts. Fire Cooper. Trade Stamkos. Blow it up. Fire everyone. etc

I'm not saying they shouldn't do anything - but they're still the best team by far this season and best in a very, very long time. I think being trigger happy and overreacting with trades and firings is the worst thing they can do.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't do anything though. No idea what the best answer is.
stamkos is far from the problem in tampa bay

cooper's lack of adjustments is getting maddening

Reactions: Mosby and BHD

HockeyIsCool

Sep 15, 2018
he should be ****ing gone. this was an embarrasment. to be fair we werent bad for stretches in games 1 3 and 4 (and i think with fair officiating we win at least one of those games probably game 3) but for it to even have to come to that is a ****ing disgrace.
Shame on you for being such a blatant homer that you need to passively throw in a comment implying the refs unfairly treated your team rather than accept that Columbus simply played better. This is the NHL and the teams are very close in skill level.

The team you root for didn't play as well as their opponent and didn't deserve the win and clearly they got their butts whooped. I know the disappointment is fresh in your mind, but you need to be objective if you ever want anyone to take you seriously. If not, by all means keep making reactive posts without any thought.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Shame on you for being such a blatant homer that you need to passively throw in a comment implying the refs unfairly treated your team rather than accept that Columbus simply played better. This is the NHL and the teams are very close in skill level.

The team you root for didn't play as well as their opponent and didn't deserve the win and clearly they got their butts whooped. I know the disappointment is fresh in your mind, but you need to be objective if you ever want anyone to take you seriously. If not, by all means keep making reactive posts without any thought.
as i said the way we played and performed was disgraceful. i think it was more "3-1" disgraceful than "4-0", but cooper should be gone regardless. game 1 started well but the wheels came off in the third. game 2 was an abortion on ice. game 3 was piss poor early but we played super well in the third and almost came back. game 4 was sort of similar to game 3. teams in the nhl are close in level this is very true. columbus actually put effort into getting guys in front and winning puck battles and that is what won them the series. tampa showed a lack of effort for too much of the series, and to me thats on coop.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

In the playoffs? No, they're really not. That's the issue. It's fun to win in the regular season, but ultimately nobody cares if you can't translate it to the games that matter. 10 years from now this season will be remembered as the one TB choked away a lot more than then one where they tied for most points in a regular season.

Cooper is terrible and should be fired imo. In terms of other adjustments, there's arguments for changes and against, but he should go for certain.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Don't do anything to Tampa Bay unless you're acquiring or bringing up a couple of young, fast, big players to play on the third line/sometimes top 6. This is an anomaly and most of us can realize it. Full marks to Columbus, but I doubt this happens again next year. And if it does, then you start making some hard decisions in my opinion.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is it still consensus that was a good and well deserved extension?

If you decide that the biggest issue was a coaching issue (which wouldn't be a wrong opinion to have), you then need to find a better coach. And unfortunately for TB, there's not all that many options out there for guys who would be "better". So while I get why this comment was made and that TB playoff exit sucks for them and their fans... I don't think that extending Cooper was the wrong move.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
losing in 6 or 7 to cbj would have been fine i wouldnt have cared

but for this dismal effort for most of the series? for no changes in strategy on zone entries and exits, and the players not being motivated enough to try in any puck battle?

disgraceful. ive defended cooper in the past but this is the final straw for me.

If your players can't put forth a good effort in a PO game and need to be "motivated" to play, then that says a lot more about the players on TB then the coach.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In the playoffs? No, they're really not. That's the issue. It's fun to win in the regular season, but ultimately nobody cares if you can't translate it to the games that matter. 10 years from now this season will be remembered as the one TB choked away a lot more than then one where they tied for most points in a regular season.

Cooper is terrible and should be fired imo. In terms of other adjustments, there's arguments for changes and against, but he should go for certain.

I think this is the biggest choke job in the history of the NHL perhaps - but that being said I don't think it's fair to label that roster of Tampa as chokers overall (before this year at least). ECF's and SCF i think in 3 of 4 or 5 years - that's really good. Not everyone can win the cup all the time and they've had some strong playoff performances in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->