Confirmed with Link: Lightning close to selling minority position at $1.4B valuation

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah whatever small chunk they're buying, they're paying for it as if it's worth $1.4B for the whole thing.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wonder if Vinik is really interested in the Rays and hes accumulating cash flow?
Way too much uncertainty around that franchise to jump in now unless he's absolutely sure he has a stadium deal that'll work. Plus Sternberg is adamant he's not selling.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What does all that even mean?

So Vinik is still the majority owner, but a minority share was sold to an investment group and the franchise was valued at 1.4B?
I almost had a heart attack at first I thought vinik was selling the whole team at 1.4 billion and leaving us lol 😂

Wonder if Vinik is really interested in the Rays and hes accumulating cash flow?
I don’t see it price tag for the rays would be like 2 billion at least and then you got to fund a new stadium and hillsbourgh county won’t pay for any of it

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Arctos already owns some of the Lightning.

From Dec 2021
  • NHL teams can sell up to a 30% stake to private firms.
  • Individual firms can own up to 20% of a team.
  • Firms can have stakes in up to five NHL teams.
  • The minimum investment required is $20 million.

The league has approved the sale of an up-to-10% stake of the Wild to Arctos, per team owner Craig Leipold. Arctos has also been approved to buy an undisclosed stake in the Lightning.
$20 million would probably just be for the initial buy-in, but I'm not sure that an NHL owner would sell further stakes for significantly less.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
What does all that even mean?

So Vinik is still the majority owner, but a minority share was sold to an investment group and the franchise was valued at 1.4B?

Correct

I almost had a heart attack at first I thought vinik was selling the whole team at 1.4 billion and leaving us lol 😂

I don’t see it price tag for the rays would be like 2 billion at least and then you got to fund a new stadium and hillsbourgh county won’t pay for any of it
Yeah but he would get a stadium deal done and he would actually spend money on players. He would build a winner not that we don’t already have a winner.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Yep, extremely unlikely. And doesn’t he still own a piece of the Red Sox?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad