LeBrun: Lightning and Point haven’t had much discussion [Mod warning in OP]

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Point was the better player than Matthews last year. To debate that is ridiculous. I'm a Leaf fan. With that said I would sign Matthews to a bigger contract than Point. I love Point and I believe I was one of the first people to be touting him since his days in the WHL but he has less room to improve at this point than Matthews does and that is pretty obvious. Matthews has the ability to win multiple Rocket trophies over his career and just simply has more pedigree. Point can be a top 20 player in the league for a long time. While Matthews should be a top 5 easily if he stays healthy.

Surprised this thread isn't longer considering the length of the Marner thread. I find them to be very comparable players in terms of what theyre and can be. I think they deserve the same money and term. It's as big a story to me that Point remains unsigned. Tampa has a very good record with retaining their players at a reasonable cost or even bargin price but I'd be getting a tad concerned at this point (no pun) if I was a Tampa fan.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
What makes you think he should get more than Kucherov or Stamkos at this point? Hes not as good as them and they took discounts to help their team out. He shouldnt get above 8. At least not yet.
Because the economics of the NHL have changed since those deals were signed and all these kids are holding out right now for Matthews-like deals.

For example, from my team there's nothing that says Matthew Tkachuk should get more than Gaudreau or Giordano but I guarantee his ask is far north of both of those deals.

Can we stop with this Matthews nonsense. This is a thread about Point. does every thread have to include a discussion about Matthews? I'm so sick of hearing about Matthews.

Matthews is relevant to the discussion of any star RFA's contract negotiations because of the structure and AAV of Matthews' contract.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Point has played through a significantly higher level of accumulated fatigue than Matthews
This one's quite the stretch.
Defensive play in particular is where Point is well ahead of Matthews.
I'm sure there's absolutely nothing questionable about comparing 2 lines' defensive impact with unproven stats, one of which had the league MVP, the other of which had 2 players in their first full years in the NHL and a 39-year old broken down player who was so bad even his career team didn't want back. :eyeroll:

Matthews is easily the better player.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I am 99.9999% certain that Point won't get more than Kucherov. Forget the Matthews contract. It isn't the one contract that every other GM would look at and say yeah, we gotta use this as a reference. And given Tampa's history of contracts after ELC, I don't think he'll get 8 years. So I think it'll be in the 3-5 year range with an AAV of around 8.5 mil.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I am 99.9999% certain that Point won't get more than Kucherov. Forget the Matthews contract. It isn't the one contract that every other GM would look at and say yeah, we gotta use this as a reference. And given Tampa's history of contracts after ELC, I don't think he'll get 8 years. So I think it'll be in the 3-5 year range with an AAV of around 8.5 mil.

Bolts only have 8.4 million in cap space, so unless there is another transaction, he's definitely not getting that much from us.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Point was so much better than Matthews this season it's not even funny.
Well he’s two years older and on the best offensive team in a long time.

No show in the playoffs this year however.

Matthews will likely be better every year from now on, especially if Matthews isn’t playing with pain and a bum shoulder for 20+ games.

But I’m sure Point is saying the same thing so he can take home 5 years and 10+per.

Edit: I am a huge fan of Point and have been since his Moose Jaw days with Rielly. I just think Matthews will comfortably be a more impactful player by the time their careers are up.

Not to mention we are comparing Point at 23 to Matthews at 21.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
At this stage of their careers, Point and Matthews are pretty even players. There is a lot more to the game than just scoring rates at even strength and Point is well ahead of Matthews in most of those facets. Point has played through a significantly higher level of accumulated fatigue than Matthews has and Point has remained more productive despite this. Defensive play in particular is where Point is well ahead of Matthews. It’s easy to ignore when you’re in the middle of an argument regarding which point-based metric is superior for player evaluation but it’s a huge part of the game. By no coincidence, most of the publicly available catch all metrics such as Evolving Hockey’s GAR/RAPM, Corsica’s WAR, Micah McCurdy’s isolated impact, etc. have them neck and neck and some of them have Point ahead of Matthews, even on a per/60 basis. No matter what some people will tell you, Matthews as of right now is not clearly superior to Point and Point was notably better last season. The evidence does not support that.

Based on this, it’s fair to ask why Point should be paid significantly less than Matthews, and a large part of the answer comes down to pedigree. I can’t remember the poster name and I’m too lazy to look but a Lightning poster in here explained the situation well. Matthews was the first overall pick and he’s been one of the best goal scorers in the NHL since the day he stepped in. Point was a later pick who’s been a late bloomer and didn’t really break out as a star until this season, where as Matthews was a star as a rookie and has a Calder to his name.

Beyond that, defensive play from forwards in particular is a major market inefficiency and that is going to work against Point since the area where he excels and that Matthews struggles is not an area that drives pay to a significant degree unless a player sees a large number of Selke votes. Point hasn’t really started to get those yet although he finished #9 last season but that isn’t really high enough to make a big difference. I don’t think Point really is a Selke level defensive player either but he still provides an immensely higher level of value on that side of the ice than Matthews does and the difference there will never be adequately reflected in their respective compensation. That’s just how the NHL market works. You also have to factor in the respective internal salary structures for each team and it becomes clear as day that Matthews will get significantly more money even if he isn’t significantly better at hockey.

I think that Matthews does have the higher ceiling and especially so if he can manage to stay healthy and maintain his scoring rates despite the accumulated effects of fatigue of playing more games and more minutes in those games. I think Point probably peaked last season in terms of raw goal/point totals since pretty much everything that happened in last year’s regular season was a perfect storm for Tampa, but I think Point’s individual impact still has some room to improve going forward, albeit not as much as Matthews’. If Matthews can just elevate his defensive game to average and sustain his performance through 82 games, then he probably gains the edge over Point. But he hasn’t done either of those things yet and until he does, the talk that he is clearly better and that there is no debate to be had is silly.

Great post. The only thing I'd add is that Point could definitely take home a Selke or two in his career, IF he gets used in more of a two-way role, which wasn't the case last year (but was in his first two years, particular his sophomore season). It's also tough to say if last year was Point's peak or if he has another level to reach. Yzerman picked a lot of players who developed a little more slowly, like Kucherov, but they get there all the same.

But the biggest difference in their salary will be where they play. Taxes are part of it (although that's more for UFAs than RFAs), but there's also a culture of taking a little less in TB.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Hahahahaha. :biglaugh:

This one's quite the stretch, even for you.

Ah, yes, the last ditch effort of somebody who has nothing else. Pointing to something that can't accurately be proven.

Yes, I'm sure there's absolutely nothing questionable about comparing 2 lines' defensive impact with unproven stats, one of which had the league MVP, the other of which had 2 players in their first full years in the NHL and a 39-year old broken down player who was so bad even his career team didn't want back. :eyeroll:

A barely 70 point Matthews isn't better than a 90 point Point.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A barely 70 point Matthews isn't better than a 90 point Point.
This is an incredibly simplistic take on a more complicated question.

The proof has been provided already. Maybe you guys should get back to Point instead of constantly bringing up Matthews.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hahahahaha. :biglaugh:

This one's quite the stretch, even for you.

Ah, yes, the last ditch effort of somebody who has nothing else. Pointing to something that can't accurately be proven.

Yes, I'm sure there's absolutely nothing questionable about comparing 2 lines' defensive impact with unproven stats, one of which had the league MVP, the other of which had 2 players in their first full years in the NHL and a 39-year old broken down player who was so bad even his career team didn't want back. :eyeroll:

You can post however many laughing emojis you want, but it is absolutely not a stretch to stay Point has maintained his performance under a higher level of accumulated fatigue when Point has played 3,103:25 in the past two regular seasons and 398:25 in the past two playoffs, while Matthews by comparison has played 2,385:41 in the past two regular seasons and and 261:18 in the past two playoffs. That adds up to 3,501:50 for Point and 2,646:59 for Matthews. Point has played 851:51 more over the same time frame, or 32% more minutes. Point has obviously accumulated more fatigue through this sample and been on the ice for far longer, which makes any per minute metrics more impressive for Point than it does for Matthews.

In 2019, defensive play actually can be accurately proven or pretty close. And pretty much all defensive metrics, no matter how you look at them, have Point performing FAR better than Matthews over their ELCs.

Matthews: 60.69 CA/60, 2.61 xGA/60, 2.6 GA/60
1.71 Rel CA/60, 0.26 Rel xGA/60, 0.15 Rel GA/60

Point: 55.23 Rel CA/60, 2.18 xGA/60, 2.28 GA/60
0.95 Rel CA/60, 0.12 Rel xGA/60, 0.04 Rel GA/60

Matthews allows far more shots, expected goals, and goals. He does play on a weaker defensive team, but even relative to their respective teams, Point does a better job defensively. Clearly, just the raw "against" metrics have Point well ahead of Matthews.

Or, if you'd rather visualize the data, look at their respective splits between their teams with and without them on the ice throughout their careers:

upload_2019-9-7_11-7-38.png

upload_2019-9-7_11-8-53.png

upload_2019-9-7_11-10-53.png

(Just click on the images to enlarge them. Each image represents one season.)

As we can see, Toronto is a significantly worse defensive team with Matthews on the ice in every season of his career, and the threat level of shots they allow with Matthews on the ice is at least 10% higher than league average in every season. This supports what the Corsi, expected goal, and goal against metrics have to say. Now let's compare this to Brayden Point:

upload_2019-9-7_11-13-4.png

upload_2019-9-7_11-13-57.png

upload_2019-9-7_11-18-27.png

And lastly, this is probably not the best statistic for properly judging defensive play, but it's still worth noting their A3Z comparison tools, which show that Brayden Point is far better at getting the puck out of the zone than Matthews.

upload_2019-9-7_11-44-8.png

As you can see, when Brayden Point attempts a zone exit, the rate at which he does so while maintaining possession is in the 99th percentile of the NHL.

There is a HUGE difference between these two defensively, and there has been in every season of their careers. 2018-2019 was the first season where Point did poorly relative to his team, but he still did significantly better than Matthews, just like in every other season of his career.

Obviously, there are plenty of other factors that go into these metrics that are not just the individual defensive performance of these players. But there are metrics out there which quantify for all of this information, and those metrics are in line with the conclusion that Brayden Point's defensive play is miles ahead of Auston Matthews' defensive play.

For example, Micah McCurdy, the creator of those heat maps, also has a player impact isolation model that attempts to account for every factor: teammates, competition, zone usage, score usage, etc. and isolate a player's impact on offense and defense.

As you can see, through Micah McCurdy's model, Brayden Point is significantly above average defensively, with an individual impact of a 9% reduction of threat coming from opponent shots, while Auston Matthews is below average, with an individual impact of a 4% increase of threat coming from opponent's shots. McCurdy's model only includes the past two seasons, though.

There are similar models out there, such as Evolving Hockey's regularized adjusted plus-minus, which also attempts to account for all variables and then isolate a player's impact on what is happening.

upload_2019-9-7_11-27-0.png

According to this model, Matthews' impact on expected goals against is over 2 standard deviations above average, and his impact on shot attempts against is more than one standard deviation above average. By comparison, Brayden Point is above average in both metrics.

If you look at something like Corsica Hockey's GAR model over this 3-year sample, and isolate DWAR, Matthews' DGAR is at -1.71, meaning his defensive performance is slightly below replacement level. By comparison, Brayden Point's DWAR is at 4, meaning Point has contributed significantly more than a replacement level player on the defensive side of things.

It is clear as day that Brayden Point is a far, far better defensive player than Auston Matthews. Every single defensive metric supports this. The fact that you would say this can't accurately proven is just hilarious, and shows how out of touch that you are with the metrics that are available today. When the gap between them is this massive, it can be accurately proven quite easily.

Of course, according to all of these metrics, Matthews is also the better offensive player.

Corsica Hockey GAR:

Matthews: 42.98 GAR, 15.79 GAR/82, 0.63 GAR/60
Point: 40.19 GAR, 13.46 GAR/82, 0.54 GAR/60

Slight edge to Matthews on this one.

Evolving Hockey GAR:

Matthews: 24.5 EV GAR, 6.5 PP GAR, 38.8 GAR
0.46 EV GAR/60, 0.77 PP GAR/60, 0.61 GAR/60
Point: 28 EV GAR, 15.5 PP GAR, 50.3 GAR
0.5 EV GAR/60, 1.52 PP GAR/60, 0.71 GAR/60

Slight edge to Point on this one.

Evolving Hockey even strength Regularized Adjusted Plus/Minus:

Matthews: +10.34 Goal Impact, +4.69 Expected Goal Impact, +19.8 Corsi Impact
0.193 GPM/60, 0.088 xGPM/60, 0.37 CPM/60 (These are just goal/xgoal/corsi impacts per 60)
Point: +20.53 Goal Impact, +13.03 Expected Goal Impact, +165.5 Corsi Impact
0.37 GPM/60, 0.233 xGPM/60, 2.96 CPM/60

Micah McCurdy's Isolated Impact:

Matthews: +8% net impact, +24% PP impact, +25% shooting, +114% penalty impact
Point: +16% net impact, +24% PP Impact, +17% shooting, +77% Penalty Impact

And then, going back to more rudimentary metrics:

5-on-5:

Matthews: 51.50% CF, 51.54% xGF, 55.30% GF
1% CF Rel, 1.3% xGF Rel, 2.83% GF Rel
Point: 52.19% CF, 53.72% xGF, 58.72% GF
1.04% CF Rel, 1.52% xGF Rel, 4.66% GF Rel

Point's team controls a larger share of the shot attempts, expected goals, and actual goals that occur while he is on the ice than Matthews' team does when he is on the ice. Not only that, but despite playing on a superior team to Matthews, Point's control of the shot share, expected goal share, and goal share, relative to Point's teammates are all higher than Matthews' relative to his teammates.

And before you mention competition, Point literally has a higher TOI% QoC (29.37%) than Matthews (29.35%). Before you mention linemates, Point has a lower TOI% QoT (30.44%) than Matthews (30.46%).

As much as you've convinced yourself that there is no way that anybody besides McDavid might be on par with lord Matthews, the reality is that simply isn't the case. Brayden Point is an excellent center, and he has been a huge part of his team's regular season success over the past 3 seasons. There is nothing easy about this comparison, but given their performance in the most recent season, I'd say that Brayden Point is the better player right now.

It's therefore valid to ask, as that Tampa fan did, why Brayden Point won't be paid anywhere near what Auston Matthews is paid. The answer is that they are signing with two different GMs who have two different internal salary structures, and that the area where Point is so much superior to Matthews is defensive play, which is a major market inefficiency that centers in particular are not adequately compensated for.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-7_11-8-29.png
    upload_2019-9-7_11-8-29.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2019-9-7_11-17-10.png
    upload_2019-9-7_11-17-10.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Great post. The only thing I'd add is that Point could definitely take home a Selke or two in his career, IF he gets used in more of a two-way role, which wasn't the case last year (but was in his first two years, particular his sophomore season). It's also tough to say if last year was Point's peak or if he has another level to reach. Yzerman picked a lot of players who developed a little more slowly, like Kucherov, but they get there all the same.

But the biggest difference in their salary will be where they play. Taxes are part of it (although that's more for UFAs than RFAs), but there's also a culture of taking a little less in TB.

Yeah, it's tough to say because the Selke is such a reputation award. Case in point being, Point finished 8th in Selke votes in 2017-2018 with 27 voting points, and 9th in Selke votes this year with 56 voting points, yet posted considerably better defensive metrics in 2017-2018 and as you say, he was used in more of a two-way role in 2017-2018 as well. Like I say, my guess is that last season was probably his peak in terms of raw points but his overall impact could still continue to improve.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As much as you've convinced yourself that there is no way that anybody besides McDavid might be on par with lord Matthews, the reality is that simply isn't the case
I am not going to spam this thread replying to mountains of your word vomit and horrible cherry-picked takes that ignore all context, but it should be made clear that I have not said that Matthews is on par with McDavid. Matthews is however an amazingly special talent rarely seen in this league, and he is the 2nd best player over his ELC among his peers in this era.

Brayden Point is an excellent center, and he has been a huge part of his team's regular season success over the past 3 seasons.
Brayden Point is an excellent center, and he has been a strong part of his team's regular season success over the past 3 seasons. He is still worse than Matthews over that same time period.

The answer is that they are signing with two different GMs who have two different internal salary structures
This has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Trade shattenkirk for a pick
Call up Foote
Signe Point 9M x 5

Call it a day.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I have just dealt with this anti-Leaf poster and his so-called "analyses" for 2+ months in the Marner thread, and I have no desire to turn this Point thread into an off-topic mess as well by replying to every point in his mountain of nonsense. I don't see the point of doing an in-depth look into something that is hard to currently quantify (especially between these two players in vastly different situations), that he has already admitted is worthless in discussions about contracts, especially when even if Point was slightly better defensively, it wouldn't come close to closing the gap between them.

I would have thought Tampa fans would appreciate not turning this into Matthews thread #5,848,927...

Just enjoy your good player that you'll probably get on a tax discount.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have just dealt with this anti-Leaf poster and his so-called "analyses" for 2+ months in the Marner thread, and I have no desire to turn this Point thread into an off-topic mess as well by replying to every point in his mountain of nonsense. I don't see the point of doing an in-depth look into something that is hard to currently quantify (especially between these two players in vastly different situations), that he has already admitted is worthless in discussions about contracts, especially when even if Point was slightly better defensively, it wouldn't come close to closing the gap between them.

I would have thought Tampa fans would appreciate not turning this into Matthews thread #5,848,927.

Just enjoy your good player that you'll probably get on a tax discount.

I can't speak for every Tampa fan, but I think most of them would much prefer to see an in depth-analysis of Point's defensive and all-around metrics compared to another high end center who has the 3rd highest AAV in the NHL, than they would prefer to see one fan posting points per 60 (one metric, that is far more cherry picked) to say that Point is nowhere near as good as that player.

Point beat Matthews defensively and they're comparable players as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Also, their situations are NOT very different.
Their situations are vastly different. Point plays on one of the most stacked lines in hockey with the league MVP. Matthews plays with the worst linemates of any of his peers, who also happened to be players in their first full year (when surprise, players tend to be worse defensively - also played with rookies in his rookie years and sophomores in his sophomore year). Point played in front of a Vezina-winning goalie. Matthews did not. Point played in front of significantly better defensemen than Matthews. They had different deployment. Point had literally everything go right for him last year. Matthews had pretty much everything go wrong. Etc..

but seeing as you likely think matthews is better than kucherov
No, Matthews is not as good as Kucherov, as least not yet. Also, this doesn't make any sense because his linemate isn't himself.

Yes, there will be a large gap in the contracts between them
Because he's a better player.

Last edited:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I corrected people after about 20 posts of Tampa fans bashing Matthews in a Point thread.

Their situations are vastly different. Point plays on one of the most stacked lines in hockey with the league MVP. Matthews plays with the worst linemates of any of his peers, who also happened to be players in their first full year (when surprise, players tend to be worse defensively - also played with rookies in his rookie years and sophomores in his sophomore year). Point played in front of a Vezina-winning goalie. Matthews did not. Point played in front of significantly better defensemen than Matthews. They had different deployment. Point had literally everything go right for him last year. Matthews had pretty much everything go wrong. Etc.

No, Matthews is not as good as Kucherov, as least not yet. Also, this doesn't make any sense because his linemate isn't himself.

Because he's a better player.
1) There are so many posts of tampa players saying that matthews is a great player but that his contract is for too much. I personally had posts saying matthews was worth more, but I don't like his contract.

2) Yes, Yes, he plays with the offensive dynamo that is Tyler Johnson. The way I see it, Kucherov >> Matthews > Point >> Nylander > Tyjo >= Hyman (generally I would place Johnson higher but last year was not good for him). So tampa's line is better but it is not like matthews only plays with plugs. Both he and point have a good/elite winger on one side, and a lesser player on the other side. This is not a begeron or mackinnon situation where every player on the line is 1st line quality. We don't have a 1st line caliber left winger (at least not 1st line on a top offensive team)

3) Glad to see you can be somewhat objective, but i think you've missed my point.

4) THEY ARE COMPARABLE PLAYERS IN DIFFERENT TEAM SITUATIONS. Matthews is *slightly* better overall as a player, but was NOT better last year. However due to their extremely different contract situations (matthews being the highly praised 1OA franchise center for the most popular team), they will not get paid the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, Yes, he plays with the offensive dynamo that is Tyler Johnson.
And, you know... the league MVP.
The way I see it, Kucherov >> Matthews > Point >> Nylander > Tyjo >= Hyman
You're admitting that his linemates were significantly worse, and you didn't even name his linemates from this past year...

His most common linemates this past year were Kapanen (in his first full year in the NHL), Johnsson (in his first full year in the NHL), and 39-year old Marleau (who was statistically one of our worst players who couldn't skate and now nobody wants).

And beyond this, when we are talking about defense, defensemen and goaltenders matter a ton, not just forward linemates. Point has a significant advantage in this regard.

Both he and point have a good/elite winger on one side
Even if we look at the best of Matthew's linemates, you are attempting to equate a 61-point player in his rookie and sophomore seasons to a 128-point league MVP in his prime. I don't even know how to respond to this.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, it's tough to say because the Selke is such a reputation award. Case in point being, Point finished 8th in Selke votes in 2017-2018 with 27 voting points, and 9th in Selke votes this year with 56 voting points, yet posted considerably better defensive metrics in 2017-2018 and as you say, he was used in more of a two-way role in 2017-2018 as well. Like I say, my guess is that last season was probably his peak in terms of raw points but his overall impact could still continue to improve.

I wouldn't bet against him breaking that points number, though it'll be tough. But he's visibly improved every year so far. It's hard to imagine him improving over what we saw in camp last year, but we thought that the year before too.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
They're all waiting for Marner.
I've heard that before but it's always been just a bare statement without any proof. How do you know they are all ALL waiting for Marner?

And whatever contract Marner signs, why would the other GMs follow suit?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad