Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Oilers 2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Started the year off really well, has really tailed off recently. I think he's getting fatigued with the schedule and the ice-time and the matchups, tbh. McDavid also does a lot of coasting in the neutral zone and defensive zone so RNH has to do a lot of board work in his own zone. He's starting to really feel it right now, IMO.

McDavid is superhuman, RNH is a mere mortal, he can't log those kinds of minutes.

Reactions: ujju2

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
What was our record this time last year? Obviously it’s much better this year, just curious if someone knows.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
That Tampa player hit two Yamamoto and Russell from behind on two plays that weren't called.

Lucic sent a message.

Some people cried because it was too violent for them.
Hey man, if Lucic aint scorin. That’s the type of stuff I want to see. Thanks for letting me know what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I never argued that Koskinen should not have got this start. I wanted him to get the start. Not sure what you're seeing in my posts otherwise. I do think it was a pretty choppy game from Koski, welcome to the NHL. That's the problem for NHL goalies. A lot of nights are going to be inevitable nightmares and nowhere to run or hide. I think Talbot handled it fine against Washington. Koski's third period was a bit bizarre and he's only seen a few games. Shouldn't be shell shocked yet.

I'm only arguing what you're saying about my arguments. I didn't anoint Koskinen to be a great goalie, I just said he deserved to start over Talbot given recent results and that he might be a better option than Talbot, who seems to be declining.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Started the year off really well, has really tailed off recently. I think he's getting fatigued with the schedule and the ice-time and the matchups, tbh. McDavid also does a lot of coasting in the neutral zone and defensive zone so RNH has to do a lot of board work in his own zone. He's starting to really feel it right now, IMO.
He's not a board crashing thug, he wins more % of the battles with smarts, stick, and speed. He wins more than he loses, plus he always has high amount of take aways and intercepts.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep, by many measures RNH is having his best season yet. Nurse I have patience for, as he was a late signing and missed a lot of training camp. I have hope he'll get his full skating legs soon and his confidence with it, and wouldn't be surprised if it's in short order. He's a lot better than he's shown recently, so no need to panic yet.

Nurse almost scored 2 goals tonight and was a beast out on the ice. Not sure where the criticism is coming from. This is the lightning, they will make any D in the league look bad on some nights. Not even Larsson looked good tonight. D don't tend to look good against Tampa.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's not a board crashing thug, he wins more % of the battles with smarts, stick, and speed. He wins more than he loses, plus he always has high amount of take aways and intercepts.

In the beginning of the year he had the energy and ability to evade checks and bounce off the boards. Now he's getting outmuscled along the boards consistently and it's starting to result in bad turnovers either in his own zone or on the PP, which kills momentum.

He's not a bad player; he's just not capable (yet or ever, I'm not sure) of this kind of deployment.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nurse almost scored 2 goals tonight and was a beast out on the ice. Not sure where the criticism is coming from. This is the lightning, they will make any D in the league look bad on some nights. Not even Larsson looked good tonight. D don't tend to look good against Tampa.
I think it’s the fact that his pairing was -4.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Not really criticizing him, just saying I think he can be even better than what he's showed so far. I think he can be more dominating and that we have yet to see the best in him, but he's been mostly fine.

He has had some "adventures" defensively, but again I think he can patch that up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Chiasson scoring twice in the Pittsburgh game is what let us hang in there in that one.

When some of these more high powered teams want to open it up though like Tampa did, we can't quite measure up yet. Chiasson shows what the Oilers would be like if they had better secondary scoring in that short stretch he played like a superstar basically.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He did let a guy that spoke zero english on his 1st PP unit though :)

JP on the first unit PP would be an actual disaster.

PP is all about purposeful movement and positioning, and those are probably two of the weakest parts of JP's game right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
in fairness theres RNH spending reams of time with McD, then on PP, then on pk. f***, they are running this guy ragged.

My main concern is we have 3 quality forwards and we run them hard every night and then people wonder why they ever hit a wall. C'mon. Stamkos can go completely to sleep on the Tampa team for a month and theres no end of others to just fill the net while he's underperforming.

If you're an oiler star you have no such luxury, ever. Then you get taken apart by the fan base because you're not being legendary every night.

3 players can't carry a team. They shouldn't be expected to and no org worth its salt should be dreaming that this is enough.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Tampa had a total of 10 high danger scoring chances tonight and Nurse was on ice for 5 of them.

He has been terrible defensively this year and Russell has had to carry the pairing all year.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm only arguing what you're saying about my arguments. I didn't anoint Koskinen to be a great goalie, I just said he deserved to start over Talbot given recent results and that he might be a better option than Talbot, who seems to be declining.

Did somebody reverse our accounts and you became the curmudgeon?

;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
in fairness theres RNH spending reams of time with McD, then on PP, then on pk. ****, they are running this guy ragged.

My main concern is we have 3 quality forwards and we run them hard every night and then people wonder why they ever hit a wall. C'mon. Stamkos can go completely to sleep on the Tampa team for a month and theres no end of others to just fill the net while he's underperforming.

If you're an oiler star you have no such luxury, ever. Then you get taken apart by the fan base because you're not being legendary every night.

3 players can't carry a team. They shouldn't be expected to and no org worth its salt should be dreaming that this is enough.

I can agree with most of that, but I'd also add that RNH is probably more of a Craig Smith-level player than a Stamkos-level player. There is no shame in that; the problem is when the roster limitations force RNH to be deployed like Stamkos.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
JP on the first unit PP would be an actual disaster.

PP is all about purposeful movement and positioning, and those are probably two of the weakest parts of JP's game right now.

Meh. I watched a year of Lucic and Letestu doing nothing but kill plays and give the puck away on the 1st PP unit. I'm willing to see anyone tried at this point.

Of course, need some actual brains with the coaching piece too, getting guys to practice the right things that can actually work in a real game, which we haven't had.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it’s the fact that his pairing was -4.

I would only fault him for one of them. The GA where Russel clear the line and Kevin Quinn said it was Draisaitl, lmfao. There were two fails on that play.

In Kevin Quinn world Leon is Nurse, Brodziak, Russell, and Frank Mahovlich. I need his program, and some stiff drinks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad