Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Oilers 2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I loved the game btw. But probably because I have a healthy dislike of Tampa and love to see any team going after them and pummeling them physically. To that end congrats to Lucic, Kassian, Draisaitl, Nurse. I love that you were hammering Lightning any chance you got. Hammer of the gods, haha.

f*** this was a good game, result notwithstanding. Oilers got unlucky, a few more should have gone and Drai could have had a hat trick. What an absolute beast he was. On one sequence Vasi robs him, then he hits the post, then falling down he lobs a puck at the net and almost scores. Drai had 2 other scoring chances in first period. and 3 times directed a slap pass at net. What I loved about Drais game is he refused to be kept off the board tonight. He kept coming and coming. That's a goal scorer. Finds a way to bag one on a night where absolutely nothing was going in. He had to have thought there was a sheet of plexiglass in there. Vasi truly is the best in the business along with Holtby.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Well, at least the Talbot apologists get to be happy? I guess.:dunno:

Definitely happy with the physical pushback and felt like the game could have been closer. Would definitely sting less had they taken a point or two yesterday.

Interested to see how the team responds next game and hopefully they can start winning again.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I missed the complete one game transformation of your position.

Now I'm not going to get on Koskinen like people have been flaming Talbot constantly but this is classic counting eggs before they are hatched. Koski lets in 5 tonight including 2 he could've had. Lightning hit 2-3 goal posts. Koski also with 2 near disastrous puck handing incidents, and a bizarre icing shot that hits the post and creates a rebound. The whole way I'm thinking what is he doing there.

This was a rough outing and Koskinen clearly rattled by incoming by the 3rd period.

But that's the thing with being a goalie in the NHL. How do you deal with facing scorers and chances that you don't have much in a hope in hell of stopping.

I love Vasilevsky reaction btw. Looking at his team mates after the Drai goal. As in c'mon guys, no way I can stop that, somebody has to spot that.
I think the diffence between this game for Koskinen and the game with Talbot was this game we were giving their top scorers great chance and he was being beat. Talbot was facing 4th liners and getting clean beat.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I missed the complete one game transformation of your position.

Now I'm not going to get on Koskinen like people have been flaming Talbot constantly but this is classic counting eggs before they are hatched. Koski lets in 5 tonight including 2 he could've had. Lightning hit 2-3 goal posts. Koski also with 2 near disastrous puck handing incidents, and a bizarre icing shot that hits the post and creates a rebound. The whole way I'm thinking what is he doing there.

This was a rough outing and Koskinen clearly rattled by incoming by the 3rd period.

But that's the thing with being a goalie in the NHL. How do you deal with facing scorers and chances that you don't have much in a hope in hell of stopping.

I love Vasilevsky reaction btw. Looking at his team mates after the Drai goal. As in c'mon guys, no way I can stop that, somebody has to spot that.

He didn't have a good game tonight. Doesn't mean he didn't deserve to get the chance to start, or that Talbot has been any better than him.

So now we have one goalie who hasn't been good for a year plus, and one who we don't really know what we have yet.

Not sure how my position changed though. I still don't think Talbot is great and I still think Koskinen deserved this start.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I mean he’s been there for 11 years so it’s only natural.

Picking up Yzerman and Quennville is my dream.

Snagging Yzerman would be a godsend. Then again, he's my favorite player of all time by a country mile, so I'm a bit biased. But I loved what he did with the Bolts. I'd have full confidence in him as a GM or really at any position on our team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean he’s been there for 11 years so it’s only natural.

Picking up Yzerman and Quennville is my dream.

We need to get the next up and coming coach.

Easier said than done, and there's always the risk you get another Eakins.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't get that either. Hire him the best English tutor you can find, too. Have him work on both his English and his game in the AHL.

Hire two freaking English speaking Finnish girls to teach Jesse English. They get to stay in California on the Oilers dime. Jeez, what's like $50k a year ... what the Oilers spend on stick tape and Todd McLellan's bubblegum addiction?

hqdefault.jpg

He'll learn fast enough.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol it's amazing the stuff that goes on here when the Oilers go on a streak in either direction. The mood swings on here are almost unbearable.

They didn't play bad tonight. We lost to the defending cup champs, and probably the best team in the league.

The Oilers have put a TON of tough games behind them and are 8-6-1. This is a major positive.

Indeed. the Oilers played very well. Spectacular game by Rattie, probably hardly got noticed but he was great tonight. Such an intelligent player. Would love to see him with Drai. Kassian doing what he's supposed to and really playing well. Nice to see Lucic get really physically involved and I think its what he needs. But these are just filthy good moments from our stars, McD, Drai, Nuge, and I'll take them. We're short on the applecart though and its why the Lightning win. Deeper team with deeper talent mix. The Oilers brought plenty of game, I think outplayed them, but the difference is scoring acumen and goaltending. The Oilers have only 2 players that are putting the puck in the net. Tampa has a ton of players to worry about.

Reactions: McCupofOil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Indeed. the Oilers played very well. Spectacular game by Rattie, probably hardly got noticed but he was great tonight. Such an intelligent player. Would love to see him with Drai. Kassian doing what he's supposed to and really playing well. Nice to see Lucic get really physically involved and I think its what he needs. But these are just filthy good moments from our stars, McD, Drai, Nuge, and I'll take them. We're short on the applecart though and its why the Lightning win. Deeper team with deeper talent mix. The Oilers brought plenty of game, I think outplayed them, but the difference is scoring acumen and goaltending. The Oilers have only 2 players that are putting the puck in the net. Tampa has a ton of players to worry about.

I thought it was McDavid's 2nd best game of the year honestly, lol (after the Winnipeg game where he just took over).

He was like 1 cm away from 3 or 4 points. He's so unreal a lot of the things he can do, he literally skated through like 3 or 4 Tampa skaters several times.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Snagging Yzerman would be a godsend. Then again, he's my favorite player of all time by a country mile, so I'm a bit biased. But I loved what he did with the Bolts. I'd have full confidence in him as a GM or really at any position on our team.
It would give the Oilers a ton of credibility. The Lightning draft gem after gem.

We need to get the next up and coming coach.

Easier said than done, and there's always the risk you get another Eakins.
I don’t even know who that is anymore.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Seriously stop it, RNH has played just fine.

Yep, by many measures RNH is having his best season yet. Nurse I have patience for, as he was a late signing and missed a lot of training camp. I have hope he'll get his full skating legs soon and his confidence with it, and wouldn't be surprised if it's in short order. He's a lot better than he's shown recently, so no need to panic yet.

Reactions: Throttlehead

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He didn't have a good game tonight. Doesn't mean he didn't deserve to get the chance to start, or that Talbot has been any better than him.

So now we have one goalie who hasn't been good for a year plus, and one who we don't really know what we have yet.

Not sure how my position changed though. I still don't think Talbot is great and I still think Koskinen deserved this start.

I never argued that Koskinen should not have got this start. I wanted him to get the start. Not sure what you're seeing in my posts otherwise. I do think it was a pretty choppy game from Koski, welcome to the NHL. That's the problem for NHL goalies. A lot of nights are going to be inevitable nightmares and nowhere to run or hide. I think Talbot handled it fine against Washington. Koski's third period was a bit bizarre and he's only seen a few games. Shouldn't be shell shocked yet.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seriously stop it, RNH has played just fine.

Started the year off really well, has really tailed off recently. I think he's getting fatigued with the schedule and the ice-time and the matchups, tbh. McDavid also does a lot of coasting in the neutral zone and defensive zone so RNH has to do a lot of board work in his own zone. He's starting to really feel it right now, IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought it was McDavid's 2nd best game of the year honestly, lol (after the Winnipeg game where he just took over).

He was like 1 cm away from 3 or 4 points. He's so unreal a lot of the things he can do, he literally skated through like 3 or 4 Tampa skaters several times.

its hard for people to see becaue of the results but this was probably McD and Drai's strongest game of the year. They were lights out on fire in this game. It was on Nationally in USA I guess. it was a game worthy of the NHL. That's for sure. Regular season games don't get a lot better than this one. Fricken war out there. Would be nice to see Khaira get invested in a game like this but he absolutely didn't and he's going to get pulled for that. He needs to show up and answer the bell in some of these games. Whatever happened to the ugly side of his game? Its MIA.

Reactions: dustrock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad