Post-Game Talk: Lightening @ the Capital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Yup. That was me. I think it was only me. I was saying that should Niskanen return to norms he was a more stabile player for the role AND that the Caps don't use Orlov's offensive upside because he is left handed that he could return far more than Niskanen.

I was concerned about Orlov on the PK. He is currently 6th on the defense in shtoi/g. but Reirden has found a way to leverage Siegenthaler in such a way as to minimize the lack of pk from both Orlov and Kempny

That's all. Things have worked out just fine.
Ive been telling that Siege isnt in competition with Kempny, Djoos, Fever and AA because this guy is Orpik light and others are not.

Also that Orlov isnt going to be replaced as game breaker while Carlson and Jensen can replace Niskanen's role.

Also Carlson getting to learn how to defend from Jensen is nice (the picture is clear now: Jensen gets to the sin bin and makes signs to Carlson where to skate on PK).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
he could be playing like a $7 mil+ a year guy in a different team scenario...

It was the right trade at the time by GMBM and Gudas is proving a nice add at a discount.

My syrupy hot take today, Orlov doesn’t end his NHL career as a Cap.

Hot take challenge accepted.

They form Orlov-AA pair, sign Dadonov and make it a Russian Six.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also I dont think Orlov is in any type of financial discomfort.

Ovechkin 9,6
Carlson 8,0
Kuznetsov 7,8
Backstrom 6,7
Holtby 6,1
Oshie 5,8
Orlov 5,1

Next is Eller with 3,5 I think (all numbers by memory)

I dont see how he would be not happy. He's got his long term security, a cup, a child and now is getting in his prime.

I dont see him leaving

Ps: he's not getting enough pp time. I think being friends with Ovi compensates that to some acceptable level.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ive been telling that Siege isnt in competition with Kempny, Djoos, Fever and AA because this guy is Orpik light and others are not.

Also that Orlov isnt going to be replaced as game breaker while Carlson and Jensen can replace Niskanen's role.

Also Carlson getting to learn how to defend from Jensen is nice (the picture is clear now: Jensen gets to the sin bin and makes signs to Carlson where to skate on PK).

Carlson getting to learn how to defend from Jensen? Excuse me?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, stats lie, but if some certain hockey player cant establish himself until 27 years old something is surely wrong with him. Both Kempny and Jensen are in that category in the end.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Also I dont think Orlov is in any type of financial discomfort.

Ovechkin 9,6
Carlson 8,0
Kuznetsov 7,8
Backstrom 6,7
Holtby 6,1
Oshie 5,8
Orlov 5,1

Next is Eller with 3,5 I think (all numbers by memory)

I dont see how he would be not happy. He's got his long term security, a cup, a child and now is getting in his prime.

I dont see him leaving

Ps: he's not getting enough pp time. I think being friends with Ovi compensates that to some acceptable level.
Agree with your take. If Orlov's term were shorter, I think he likely wouldn't fit into the Caps' financial structure, as he's easily a $7M+ defenseman on the UFA market. But with his contract ending after the 2022-23 season, that allows for both salary cap increases and time to shuffle salary around to make room.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Barring a significant injury, no way. You don't trade a 20+ minute per night defenseman in his prime who has a $5.8M cap hit.

don’t be scared...we will have options. The return will be sweet. I’m suggesting it will happen before his last contract year. Have to give the buyer something. He will be 30 going on 31, looking for a large raise for his last big contract IMO.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If his ask for the next term is reasonable, he will be extended. He did actually tolerate a lot to be a Cap. My feeling is that he wont ask for the moon and be willing to stay.

You cant win without vet defenders. Our 2,5M ones are a level or two below (and all will be 30+). You can trade Orlov but you need to get one back of the same caliber (which could be an overpayment).

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If his ask for the next term is reasonable, he will be extended. He did actually tolerate a lot to be a Cap. My feeling is that he wont ask for the moon and be willing to stay.

You cant win without vet defenders. Our 2,5M ones are a level or two below (and all will be 30+). You can trade Orlov but you need to get one back of the same caliber (which could be an overpayment).

This. The factor that will determine the Caps plans for Orlov is if/when AA and Fever grow into a top flight 2nd pair or even 1st pair caliber D man. We all seem to think they will be in the NHL soon but their specific growth into a dependable 2nd/3rd best Dman will allow the Caps to have flexibility with Orlov. Too soon to tell how this will all pan out. We kinda all know AA and Fever will bump a Gudas, Siegs, Jensen from their spot, but don't know if they could eventually replace what Orlov brings us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad