Post-Game Talk: Lightening @ the Capital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Gudas certainly had himself a great game tonight. Play of the game right here, Gudas killed two Bolts and it led to Orlov's goal:

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 10.12.22 PM.png

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Jensen had the longest shifts on the tram averaging 1:01, there was one sequence he wouldn’t get off the ice with Gudas on the boards, goal was his fault and he chased that with a bad penalty.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Notes by subject

Interesting breakdown of mins on defense. 2 guys in the 20s. 1 guy near 19. 3 guys in the 16s. This by the way isn't because one defenseman wouldn't get off the ice. Those numbers might have been higher had that defenseman not taken the first minor penalty of his season.

Reirden reveals himself to an extent. Carlson killed 5 mins of penalties last night. When the games count he will be a primary killer but they are saving him.

Siegenthaler killed over 6mins of penalties. The kid is really earning his ice time on what is becoming the best penalty killing in the league. No more pining for Fehervary. We are good with left shooting defensemen.

Reirden has found something on managing back to backs. The team is clearly different in that situation the last two seasons. I am sold. I really really like this coach.

Holtby is a stud.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I remember there was talk on this board of offloading Orlov instead of Niskanen, which is insane since I thought Orlov was our best Dman in the Canes series.

nothing insane about (most) discussion. Only one is untouchable. Orlov would/will return quite the bounty.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Notes by subject

Interesting breakdown of mins on defense. 2 guys in the 20s. 1 guy near 19. 3 guys in the 16s. This by the way isn't because one defenseman wouldn't get off the ice. Those numbers might have been higher had that defenseman not taken the first minor penalty of his season.

Reirden reveals himself to an extent. Carlson killed 5 mins of penalties last night. When the games count he will be a primary killer but they are saving him.

Siegenthaler killed over 6mins of penalties. The kid is really earning his ice time on what is becoming the best penalty killing in the league. No more pining for Fehervary. We are good with left shooting defensemen.

Reirden has found something on managing back to backs. The team is clearly different in that situation the last two seasons. I am sold. I really really like this coach.

Holtby is a stud.

The penalties impact the numbers for this game, but the general usage has been consistent recently. Carlson, Kempny, orlov, and Jensen play lots of 5v5 mins (Kempny in particular plays almost exclusively 5 on 5 and often around 20 mins per game). Carlson takes 70% of PP time, with orlov getting the remainder. Gudas and siege play tons of PK time, with orlov and Jensen taking a decent chunk and Carlson being used as needed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I remember there was talk on this board of offloading Orlov instead of Niskanen, which is insane since I thought Orlov was our best Dman in the Canes series.

Yup. That was me. I think it was only me. I was saying that should Niskanen return to norms he was a more stabile player for the role AND that the Caps don't use Orlov's offensive upside because he is left handed that he could return far more than Niskanen.

I was concerned about Orlov on the PK. He is currently 6th on the defense in shtoi/g. but Reirden has found a way to leverage Siegenthaler in such a way as to minimize the lack of pk from both Orlov and Kempny

That's all. Things have worked out just fine.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
nothing insane about discussion. Only one is untouchable. Orlov would/will return quite the bounty.

I remember watching this discussion. Yes Orly would bring a better haul back than Nisky did, but Nisky was severely underperforming his contract (at the time) and Orlov was and is one of the best values in the league at his contract. Right now DO is playing like a $6/$6.5 guy, for $5M.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I remember watching this discussion. Yes Orly would bring a better haul back than Nisky did, but Nisky was severely underperforming his contract (at the time) and Orlov was and is one of the best values in the league at his contract. Right now DO is playing like a $6/$6.5 guy, for $5M.

he could be playing like a $7 mil+ a year guy in a different team scenario...

It was the right trade at the time by GMBM and Gudas is proving a nice add at a discount.

My syrupy hot take today, Orlov doesn’t end his NHL career as a Cap.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
he could be playing like a $7 mil+ a year guy in a different team scenario...

It was the right trade at the time by GMBM and Gudas is proving a nice add at a discount.

My syrupy got hot take today, Orlov doesn’t end his NHL career as a Cap.

I could see that, but only because of the Cap. He's going to get a raise on his next contract and I'm not sure we have the slots to fit that, with two solid rookies coming on board soon enough.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Remember when Orlov requested a trade because of how poorly he was developed by Oates and treated by McPhee? Good times.
"Obviously, what Dmitry would like is to be traded," agent Mark Gandler told CSNWashington.com Wednesday, "because he has no future in Washington whatsoever, zero chance for him.

"I think his value as a player is diminishing with every day and the team is losing valuable time and also ruining his career."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad