Lifting back hand? Roofing it?

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Alot of good advice in this thread.

One thing I'll reiterate, that Sakic pattern is a rough one to learn to do a backhand on. I didn't have a good technique for years until I went to a straighter blade and re-learned my technique. I'm back to the Sakic again and my backhand is pretty much just as good now that I've learned to shoot it properly.

It's funny, I've been playing for almost 15 years now and I'm still learning (and re-learning) things all the time. Alot of good advice on this thread, stuff I wish I learned a long time ago.

RangerSteve

One thing I'll reiterate, that Sakic pattern is a rough one to learn to do a backhand on. I didn't have a good technique for years until I went to a straighter blade and re-learned my technique. I'm back to the Sakic again and my backhand is pretty much just as good now that I've learned to shoot it properly.

It's funny, I've been playing for almost 15 years now and I'm still learning (and re-learning) things all the time. Alot of good advice on this thread, stuff I wish I learned a long time ago.

I had to adjust to the Sakic pattern at first too. Since then I've switched to the Kovalev curve. With the Sakic I noticed I had to roll my wrists a lot more as compared to with the Kovey where I can usually flick my wrists to get a harder/quicker backhander.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com

Exactly, It's kind of weird, once you learn the motion you can pretty much do it with any curve. I still find it amazing that my backhand is best with a Drury... oddly enough I flutter about half of the backhands I take with the Lecavalier. :shakehead

Once you learn how to get it up in the air you can start actually flexing the stick and getting some power on your backhand... a lot of good things can happen when you have a backhand that is nice and flat, high and HARD on net. It's really hard for a goalie to read, especially if it's in traffic and somewhat near the net.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I had no clue how to roof a backhand with any power at all. All my backhands were either weak or took serious concentration to perform. I was using a Coffey curve which is a 3/4" midcurve. I just switched to a PM Bouchard blade which is a 1/2" heel curve and now I am picking spots with my backhand and my favorite move on breakaways is now fake a wrister, get the goalie to go down, pull it to my backhand and roof it stick side.

I don't put toooo much stock in the importance of a curve once you get the basics down, but I feel with the Coffey curve there was so little room for error that when I practiced I had very little positive reinforcement and didn't realize why it would work those 1/10 times.

Edit: After looking at a pattern chart, the Coffey is like the Sakic with a larger curve and the PM Bouchard is like the Drury curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad