Life's Guarantees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet King

Link

We have not heard from any major market owners about the lockout. Even prior to the lockout a number of owners who, according to league figures, were operating at a loss, were not complaining about costs in the league. These are professional businessmen and corporations who have to answer to shareholders and boards of directors year in and year out. How is it possible that these businessmen still have their jobs if they operated a business or business segment of their corporation for so long at a loss? Why would they still own a business entity if it was not generating profits for them?

I don't understand how you can be pro-owner at this point. They're not even trying.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't understand how you can be pro-player at this point. They're not even trying.

Your turn.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
I dont see how you can not support the free market.

If you want revenue sharing, isnt that for the owners to decide amongst themselves?

I don't see why the NHLPA think they dictate to owners what payroll system they can use to remunerate their employees. Do the owners of companies that take all the risks in this world not have any rights anymore? The NHL are prepared to negotiate within the framework of a soft cap system. I suggest the players and Goodenow come to grips with this fact and make the most out of it.

Internet King

Seachd said:
I don't understand how you can be pro-player at this point. They're not even trying.

Your turn.

I'm not pro-anyone. And if I remember correctly, it's the NHL who locked out the players.

IMHO,

The owners and the gm's are the one's who caused the current problems. If the owners went about their business the way they did before the lockout, we wouldn't be sitting here, without hockey being played.

The players didn't put a gun to the owners head's to get their huge salaries.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I don't understand why people can't understand that we are all different.

We like different things, have different values, live in different places, have different backgrounds, ect.

Diversity, ain't it grand?

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Internet King said:
I'm not pro-anyone. And if I remember correctly, it's the NHL who locked out the players.

IMHO,

The owners and the gm's are the one's who caused the current problems. If the owners went about their business the way they did before the lockout, we wouldn't be sitting here, without hockey being played.

Why do you suppose that the NBA, NFL and CFL went the route of salary cap cost certainty systems and why do you suppose that Goodenow wants no part of that?

Bob's EGO is the biggest reason we are not playing hockey right now.
:banghead: :banghead: :madfire: :madfire:

Internet King

Toonces said:
I don't understand why people can't understand that we are all different.

We like different things, have different values, live in different places, have different backgrounds, ect.

Diversity, ain't it grand?

:handclap: Agreed.

If everyone agreed, they'd be nothing to debate about. :D

But my opinion concerning the lockout is that Gary Bettman is just looking to break the union, and at the same time, he's trying to put in a Salary Cap to so the value of franchise's go up, so he can expand into Mexico.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Internet King said:

IMHO,

The NHL locked out the players because the system doesn't work. That's what this is all about.

Regardless of who caused the problems (and the players aren't getting near enough credit for that), the system has to be fixed. The players aren't willing to do that. Deciding who did what in the past does not help.

Internet King

eye said:
Why do you suppose that the NBA, NFL and CFL went the route of salary cap cost certainty systems and why do you suppose that Goodenow wants no part of that?

Bob's EGO is the biggest reason we are not playing hockey right now.
:banghead: :banghead: :madfire: :madfire:

I studied Cap systems. All they do is raise the value of franchise's, and put more money into the owners pockets.

If the Edmonton Oilers could hardly afford to have a 30 million dollar payroll, how is a Cap going to help?

A Cap requires a luxary tax, which Gary Bettman said he doesn't want.

Hockey_Nut99

I don't understand why the players just don't go to Europe or somewhere else if they don't like the system the NHL wants. The system their EMPLOYERS want. You know. The guys who PAY the players. They don't go becasue they know the NHL is where they can make the most money even with a cap. So suck it up and stop all this Free Market rhetoric

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Internet King said:
If the Edmonton Oilers could hardly afford to have a 30 million dollar payroll, how is a Cap going to help?

It keeps salaries low. That's the point.

Internet King

Seachd said:
The NHL locked out the players because the system doesn't work. That's what this is all about.

Regardless of who caused the problems (and the players aren't getting near enough credit for that), the system has to be fixed. The players aren't willing to do that. Deciding who did what in the past does not help.

The NHL locked out the players cause the system they voted TWICE for, doesn't work now.

Come on. Everyone take off the blinders, and just look at it as it is.

The CBA was fine. It's expansion and the owners who ruined it.

Plus, of course the NHL wants a Cap. They get more money into their bank accounts. Plus, every single Franchise gets up in value.

Here's an example why the Cap doesn't work.

Remember the Vancouver Grizzles. They had to moved cause they market just couldn't support them EVEN with a CAP.

Same thing we face now. To many damn teams in non-hockey markets. Nashville and Carolina.

Internet King

Seachd said:
It keeps salaries low. That's the point.

Keep salaries low? :shakehead If there is any kind of Cap, it'll be like the NBA cap, that Bettman designed for the NBA.

And The Cap would do nothing to help teams like the Flames and Oilers.

Internet King

gerbilanium said:
Owners want guaranteed profits. Players want guaranteed contracts.

The rich get richer.

Everyone is overpaid.

But if the NHL gets what it wants, they'll only get richer, and ticket prices will stay the same.

I.am.ca

Internet King said:

IMHO,

How did u expect them to play with no CBA, it expired, u can't play without a contract.

So the lockout had to happen with no contract because the players don't want to cut down their ridiculous contracts.

Internet King

I.am.ca said:
How did u expect them to play with no CBA, it expired, u can't play without a contract.

So the lockout had to happen with no contract because the players don't want to cut down their ridiculous contracts.

Hmm...I know the CBA expired. :)

Who gave the players their current contracts?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Internet King said:
The NHL locked out the players cause the system they voted TWICE for, doesn't work now.

Come on. Everyone take off the blinders, and just look at it as it is.

The CBA was fine. It's expansion and the owners who ruined it.

Plus, of course the NHL wants a Cap. They get more money into their bank accounts. Plus, every single Franchise gets up in value.

And that can only help the league and the players. Can't you see that the NHL isn't a big enough business to keep paying the salaries the players are demanding? It's obvious. The players could care less about a healthy league.

The CBA should be adjusted to fit the league, not the other way around. CBAs come and go all the time.

Internet King

Seachd said:
And that can only help the league and the players. Can't you see that the NHL isn't a big enough business to keep paying the salaries the players are demanding? It's obvious. The players could care less about a healthy league.

The CBA should be adjusted to fit the league, not the other way around. CBAs come and go all the time.

Gary Bettman is always preaching about how the NHL is growing and growing. Plus, the NHL is a 2.1 billion dollar business.

Do I agree with the players making 75% of the cash. No. But the last thing this league needs is a Salary Cap. The Salary Cap does nothing to solve any of the league's problems.

Let's look at the real problem. The game itself sucks. It's horrible to watch. Address that problem first. Make the game more exciting to watch.

YellHockey*

Hockey_Nut99 said:
I don't understand why the players just don't go to Europe or somewhere else if they don't like the system the NHL wants. The system their EMPLOYERS want. You know. The guys who PAY the players. They don't go becasue they know the NHL is where they can make the most money even with a cap. So suck it up and stop all this Free Market rhetoric

I don't understand why the owners just don't go to Cuba or somewhere else that doesn't believe in capitalism.

The players haven't been using the term free market, they've been using marketplace and there is a difference.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Internet King said:
Remember the Vancouver Grizzles. They had to moved cause they market just couldn't support them EVEN with a CAP.
Did you follow the Grizzlies? If you did, you should know that the team was basically sabatoged from the start, and had nothing to do with the NBA CBA. Go look up some of the stories explaining how the team was mismanaged.

Sorry - back to the hockey war.

Lanny MacDonald*

Internet King said:

IMHO,

Well, the players, agents and union did have a few things that they could point at an owner's head. Those being arbitration, holdouts and trade demands. Yes, the owners allowed the players to rope them in and happily took the money that the system allowed them to earn. They did so through collusion. Now that the owners have a chance to collude and develop a system that will work for both (the worst player making over $300K and the average player making $1.3M) they are chastized. I don't get it at all. It is not like the NHL is threatening to take away jobs through trimming roster sizes or anything. They are promising a fair deal for everyone. Conversely you have players coming out and saying how the system will cost teams and jobs (Sheldon Souray being the latest) and then saying they will be forced to apply for a job because the NHL will fail without the players (Luke Richardson). The players are out of touch with reality. When they want to assume some fiscal risk they can make demands like the owners do.

A Good Flying Bird*

eye said:
Do the owners of companies that take all the risks in this world not have any rights anymore? .

I feel pretty darn bad for the owners of all those companies ...
Moving jobs to China and Mexico to avoid labor and environmental law and selling them at 500 percent markup to Americans to dense to realize what this is doing to their society.

YellHockey*

Newsguyone said:
I feel pretty darn bad for the owners of all those companies ...
Moving jobs to China and Mexico to avoid labor and environmental law and selling them at 500 percent markup to Americans to dense to realize what this is doing to their society.

Or moving themselves to the Barbados to avoid paying income taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad