Lie or curve?

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
which is more important to stickhandling?

I used to use a TPS sticks with Pattern 55/Morrow/Stoll
9/16" center/heel curve slightly open face lie 6.

Good shot, but i was unhappy with my stickhandling, the puck would wander off the stick. So I decided to try something completely different.

Warrior Gionta 1/2" toe curve closed face lie 4.

The Gionta stick is about 3/8" shorter than the TPS

Stickhandling is great but my shots have become somewhat erratic, high and wide or low and wide the other way, just can't seem to consistently hit the net.

Not sure if I should use a different set up or just more shooting practice.

Gibson19

Mar 18, 2011
Stick handling depends more on the curve. What the lie will change is how easy it is to stick handle far away from your body or super close to your body.

Your shorter stick should be easier to stickhandle with as well

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
curve 100%, every curve has its advantages and disadvantages, looking at a pattern chart will tell you which. like the backstrom curve is the stickhandling curve, where as you will see the staal is better for deflections. look at bauer.com and see what all their curves offer

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For stickhandling it's:

- stick length
- blade feel
- lie
- stick weight/balance
- curve

For me. I like a short stick that's not too pingy and is light weight, gotta have a rockered heel or lower lie, and the curve really only matters when it comes to toe drags which are about 1% of my stickhandling.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I disagree with saying the curve is more important then the lie of the blade. When you have to stick handle closer to your feet with a flat lie it becomes very difficult because the heel ends up off the ice, and often the toe of the blade is the only contact with the ice making it very difficult to control. This goes along with shooting, bringing the puck closer to your feet to get more power on the shot lifts the heel end of the blade off the ice, if the lie is too flat you will wiff the puck sometimes.

I think there both equally important, if either one is wrong your going to encounter the same frequency of problems.

This is just my experience and opinion of course, you probably just need to get used to the curve more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->