Lidstrom hits Gretzky

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I see on Wikipedia that Mats Sundin made the tournament (1991 Canada Cup) All-Star Team, along with fellow centers Gretzky and Roenick. Slightly odd from a paper watching point of view because Sundin had "only" 6 points in 6 games whereas S. Larmer had 11 points (6 goals) in 8 games.

Canada steamrolled Sweden in this game. Such a talented team!

What game? They played each other twice and Sweden lost 4-1 and 4-0, hardly steamrolling on paper if you compare the rosters. Sweden had such world beaters as Jonas Bergqvist, Charles Berglund, Tomas Forslund, Lars Edström, Fredrik Andersson, Mikael Andersson, Niklas Andersson and Peter Andersson on the roster. Håkan Loob and some other guys said no to the tournament for some reason. Sundin & Lidström were 20 and 21 and hadn't yet blossomed out, and the other big names (M. Näslund and Salming) were kinda past their primes (certainly Salming was).

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Very arguable. More trophies, more cups and so on.
LOL at more Cups argument... If Bourque played with the Red Wings instead of the Bruins, I'm pretty sure that he would have more Cups too.

Anyway, he was better offensively, equal defensively, a better longevity and on and on.

Reactions: Vanzig

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
LOL at more Cups argument... If Bourque played with the Red Wings instead of the Bruins, I'm pretty sure that he would have more Cups too.

Anyway, he was better offensively, equal defensively, a better longevity and on and on.

Agreed, you cant always say this guy is better cuz he has more cups, I mean put LARRY ROBINSON or GUY LAFLEUR on California Seals or Cleveland Barons, They could still be great players but it does make a difference if you are on a stacked team or not and lets face it the time LIDSTROM came to DETROIT they were always a great team and became a powerhouse, In the time LIDSTROM arrived the RED WINGS never had a Winning % Season lower than .567 and they were most the time .600+ And
(5) times .700+ which is remarkable. Bourque was on a good to great team who made the finals in boston twice but their is no question Detroit was more a power house than boston. Boston from 1980-1985 was pretty much a 1 line team with Middleton, Detroit had Hall of Famers on their 1st/2nd/3rd lines.

Both Players are Legends but Bourque was lucky to go to Colorado or he would have no cup. It seemed as Detroit was always one of the favs 2 win cup

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

And if you place Ovechkin on the Pens and Crosby on the Caps the former likely have more cups, adding to his already better individual trophy case. Still for some reason Crosby is held in higher regard here. Bourque was clearly better at being Canadian but that's pretty much it.

Reactions: Saint PeterTheGreat

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
And if you place Ovechkin on the Pens and Crosby on the Caps the former likely have more cups, adding to his already better individual trophy case. Still for some reason Crosby is held in higher regard here. Bourque was clearly better at being Canadian but that's pretty much it.
1449327716428.gif

Bourque > Lidstrom, period.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Not even sure I disagree but it's very debatable.
Not really, Lidstrom had the chance to play for a stacked Red Wings team since Day 1. Was he an important piece? Of course! But he is still pretty overrated on these boards. Concerning Norris trophy, he played in the weakest era ever for defensemen... His competitors were mainly Pronger and Niedermayer, nothing compared to Bourque's competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad