Lidstrom hits Gretzky

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lidström's face in this picture looks exactly like P. Forsberg. The rosy cheeks, the slightly open mouth, the baby face. Even the visor. And Forsberg was more of a physical player. Eerie.

Actually, I was gonna comment that he looks more like Kenny Jonsson than Lidstrom.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Cool picture.

It's from the 1991 Canada Cup. As mentioned, Canada faced Sweden twice, the second game of which starts here:

Gretzky was awesome in this particular game and in the whole tournament. It was the very last time Gretzky was "Gretzky".

Reactions: ottawa

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Actually, I was gonna comment that he looks more like Kenny Jonsson than Lidstrom.

71p2DZI7SzL._SY741_.jpg

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Gretzky getting hit at CC'91 is nothing to laugh about. Here he is getting 'Sutered'!:

Up Suter's nose with a rubber hose!

I found this snippet on Gary Suter's wiki page and thought it was a bit strange.

Gary Suter's Wikipedia page said:
Gretzky forgave Suter for the hit, noting that he was usually a clean player.

Okay, so he was "usually a clean player"? Except for when he wasn't? :laugh:

Reactions: Tarantula

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
1991 Canada Cup for sure. While Gretzky was captain in the 1996 World Cup this was not the game from the semis that year, which was the only time they played. I can tell the difference in the Canadian uniforms. Plus that game is clearly at Maple Leaf Gardens, which was where both games were played in 1991. In 1996 the only game Sweden and Canada played against each other was in Philadelphia. Can't blame Lidstrom for checking Gretzky close, he was dynamite in that tournament and dare I say as good as in 1987?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Lidstrom looks like he's just hitting puberty in these photos... Teemu Selanne was in this tournament, too, but didn't really impress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad