Lidstrom could've ended up in Toronto instead of Detroit

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Pronger could have been a Leaf too. Probably only for a few years though.

JFJ declined an offer of Kaberle, Steen and a 1st at the 2006 draft.

I thought it was just Steen and Kaberle, which JFJ declined because of Steen.

Either way, if JFJ pulls the trigger on that deal (and if Pronger agrees to play in Toronto), I think the entire makeup of the organization changes. I don't remember exactly when Quinn, Belfour et al were given the boot, but I think bringing in Pronger beforehand may have bought them a bit more time to see how the Leafs could perform.

It would have transformed the team a fair bit, I think. Trading Kaberle, who was great in one end of the ice, for a guy who was great all over the ice would have been interesting to watch.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Could've, would've, should've....hindsight my friend, it sucks, but I doubt you own a Delorean ;)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Nicklas Lidstrom round 3 #53 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

All teams could have had him.

Why did teams pass on him in the first two rounds ?
He didnt play in the OHL ?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I thought it was just Steen and Kaberle, which JFJ declined because of Steen.

Either way, if JFJ pulls the trigger on that deal (and if Pronger agrees to play in Toronto), I think the entire makeup of the organization changes. I don't remember exactly when Quinn, Belfour et al were given the boot, but I think bringing in Pronger beforehand may have bought them a bit more time to see how the Leafs could perform.

It would have transformed the team a fair bit, I think. Trading Kaberle, who was great in one end of the ice, for a guy who was great all over the ice would have been interesting to watch.

He might even had a longer career if he was playing for a different team. Anyway no one including himself cares now after years have passed. These are the things like pumping flat tires.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
If I got a letter like that I would think it was a joke and not follow up too.

I assume a senior coach is a head coach of a division 1 team? If I received a letter like that, I would hope to take it a little more seriously. At least scout the player that was mentioned to me. I mean, scouting is cheap, right? Having a player like Lidstrom is arguably priceless.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I assume a senior coach is a head coach of a division 1 team? If I received a letter like that, I would hope to take it a little more seriously. At least scout the player that was mentioned to me. I mean, scouting is cheap, right? Having a player like Lidstrom is arguably priceless.

Draft Smaft

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Nicklas Lidstrom round 3 #53 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

All teams could have had him.

More to that story actually.

The first two rounds were dedicated for 18 year olds at that time. Detroit were ahead of the times with their drafting of European and Russian players.

Re: Lidstrom and Detroit's 1989 draft - "Christer Rockstrom (European scout) and Neil Smith (chief scout) told us they found a player off the beaten path," Holland said. "They were tucking him away and he was going to be our third pick."

Federov was their 4th round pick in 1989 for the same reasons. Quite the draft for them.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

A coach that you've likely never heard of (and can't easily find out about him due to no internet at the time) sends you a letter from Sweden (a country that at the time made up 3.1% of the NHL) where he is coaching about a young defensemen on his team that ultimately got 2 points in 19 games in the SEL and 5 points in 15 games in what I'm assuming is the junior team, in the year he was drafted. Hardly anything to get excited about. And on the odd chance that he tells such a great tale in the letter that you want to scout him, you now have to go to Ballard, a notoriously cheap owner, to ask to pay for this scouting trip across the atlantic ocean to scout a player that a coach you've likely never heard of recommend.

I'd ignore the letter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad