Speculation: Lidström night this season?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I've been thinking about this too...maybe the whole "lockout is over" left a bittersweet feeling and it wouldn't be appropriate to have a jersey retired during these circumstances... Maybe before the first game for the 13/14 season? What month did Yzerman get his jersey retired?

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I've been thinking about this too...maybe the whole "lockout is over" left a bittersweet feeling and it wouldn't be appropriate to have a jersey retired during these circumstances... Maybe before the first game for the 13/14 season? What month did Yzerman get his jersey retired?

Yzerman's jersey got retired January 2nd, 2007 (http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi....01020801&Ref=PH&Item=3&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=60). Would be cool if Lids got his retired in a game vs Colorado. A trip down memory lane.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
They should honor Fedorov, but I don't think his number will be retired. Maybe they do something during the Winter Classic in 13/14?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
MLIVE Update by Ansar Khan. It will happen next season on Lidstrom's jersey retirement.

The Detroit Red Wings' tribute to Nicklas Lidstrom, one of the greatest players in NHL history, will have to wait until next season.

The club was planning on raising Lidstrom's No. 5 jersey banner to the rafters at Joe Louis Arena during a pregame ceremony Feb. 5, prior to a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets, as per the original NHL schedule, which has been scrapped.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_will_wait_until_next.html

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I'm not surprised that they are holding it off until next year.

at least if the wings suck next year we will have the winter classic and lidstrom's retirement ceremony to look forward to

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Don't be obtuse

3Kings5.png

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Coolest would be a ceremony prior to next year's winter classic. Obviously can't raise a jersey there though..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Babcock has called for Lidström and asked for a comeback. Maybe just joking, or maybe not. :)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article16043670.ab

Transferred with Google translator:

NHL season is soon here.

When was Detroit coach Mike Babcock, 49, goes on to try to persuade Nicklas Lidstrom, 42, to comeback.

- Yes, he called yesterday and asked if I was keen to come over and play. But I said I'm pretty happy with life and my decision from last spring, says "Lidas" to Sportbladet.

Defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom made a total of 20 seasons in the world's best league, all of Detroit. He was noted for 1142 points in 1564 games in the regular season, plus 183 points in 263 games in the playoffs, won the Stanley Cup four times and the Norris Trophy, the price NHL's best back, on seven occasions.

When he was in late May announced that his career is over, it was the end of a great career.

The Detroit Red Wings have been far from forgotten its star.
"Wondered if my wife was tired of me"

Lidstrom is currently working as a scout for the club, and when the news came that the NHL season kicks off again on January 19 was not Mike Babcock, who coached the team since 2006, keep from calling Lidstrom for a comeback attempt.

- We talked yesterday and the question was whether I was eager to play again. He wondered if his wife was tired of being at home all the time. But she has not tired of me, not yet anyway, haha. Comeback is not an issue, says Lidstrom.

What do you do during the day?

- I keep running and working out a little. Then I transport children to school and help coach of one son's hockey team, Hockey Fold 00's.
"Will race until the playoffs"

Nicklas Lidstrom has released far from hockey, although playing career is over.

- I will be the World Championship ambassador during the tournament this spring. Since I am still employed by Detroit as a scout, so I see a lot of matches. I will also go over to Detroit during the winter and be an ambassador for the Red Wings.

What do you think about Detroit's chances without you?

- Since there are only 48 games, it becomes a race to the playoffs. It becomes very important to score early. I think there is benefit to the teams that have had players running. Detroit has had a few players who "Zäta" and Datsjuk, and it should try to take advantage of.

But no comeback for you, then?

- No, although I spoke with Babcock yesterday there will be no comeback. I have it good as I have it.

You can always ask. :)

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Don't be obtuse

Wut? Why not? Cola* is obviously the replacement for Lids, I can't see any other acquisition from the off season? ;)

*Good thing he has a nick (no pun intended), I would have a hard time to spell his name...

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
Coolest would be a ceremony prior to next year's winter classic. Obviously can't raise a jersey there though..

They could strap it to a helicopter, fly it to the Joe and show the whole thing on the giant screens... :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad