Licensing Question?

Ryan_Habs_16

Jul 18, 2004
I have a question regarding licensing issues that EA cites about why NCAA leagues from the U.S are not in the game. It would be great to have the NCAA, USHL and Canadian Varsity teams in the EA game. It seems that many say EA cannot add these leagues due to certain rules. I noticed an online game called Franchise Hockey Manager that uses the teams logos and real players names from the NCAA and varsity teams. I am assuming that means they have licensing rights to all of these leagues. Why can’t EA acquire those rights as well?

Also, I could not find this online, but in nhl 24, can we edit and save our team strategies and preferences without having to do it before every game like in nhl 23?

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
As far as NCAA is concerned there shouldn't be any reason anymore that EA couldn't get those licenses, at least in theory. It would even be possible to have the players in the game now if they really wanted to. It'd be a fair amount of work given the weirdness and red tape of licensing and compensation in the NCAA. Not sure the interest level is there to make it worthwhile.

Nodak651

Oct 5, 2014
As far as NCAA is concerned there shouldn't be any reason anymore that EA couldn't get those licenses, at least in theory. It would even be possible to have the players in the game now if they really wanted to. It'd be a fair amount of work given the weirdness and red tape of licensing and compensation in the NCAA. Not sure the interest level is there to make it worthwhile.
Isn't it a great gimmicky way for EA to sell more games without actually making the gameplay any better? The wouldn't have to do much more than pay for the relatively cheap licensing costs and then have an intern upload the graphics.

Nodak651

Oct 5, 2014
I have a couple good sources that confirmed this was in the works for the 2024 game but it ended up not happening (at least in part) due to remaining uncertainty about nil and congressional hearings that were ongoing, or something in that nature. Seems to have at least been on the table so there's a greater than zero chance it happens over the next couple years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad