Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Took the words out of my mouth.

When I was watching the play I immediately said, "That's a very typical goal for him."
It's instinctive for him. His on-ice presence isn't the type of thing that can be taught. I think that's one of the reasons he's "under the radar" a bit--he doesn't rely on pure skill, but rather skill and smarts. He's not flashy but gets it done all the same.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's instinctive for him. His on-ice presence isn't the type of thing that can be taught. I think that's one of the reasons he's "under the radar" a bit--he doesn't rely on pure skill, but rather skill and smarts. He's not flashy but gets it done all the same.

It's why I'm also hesitant to dive into the "high skill" debate. I think its a bit of a misnomer.

A lot of times, people imagine a guy who dangles and weaves and goes top shelf with pretty, highlight reel goals.

But there's something to be said about the productive guy who does it with smarts, awareness and positioning.

Andersson will likely never be a highlight reel machine --- but if he can reach his ceiling and net 20-25 goals and 50-60 points, does it really matter?

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Lias showed much more skill this game than he's sold to have. He's got fantastic hands... changes angles on passes, the height he was able to get on that goal... Plenty of players can get themselves a look like that, side of the net from behind play. Takes great hands to get that shot far enough off the ice, quickly enough.

Not to mention the 'leave-behind' plays he makes. One that set up Namestikov's blown play.

If he had straight ahead wheels, his skills wouldn't be in doubt.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lias showed much more skill this game than he's sold to have. He's got fantastic hands... changes angles on passes, the height he was able to get on that goal... Plenty of players can get themselves a look like that, side of the net from behind play. Takes great hands to get that shot far enough off the ice, quickly enough.

Not to mention the 'leave-behind' plays he makes. One that set up Namestikov's blown play.

If he had straight ahead wheels, his skills wouldn't be in doubt.

I think people severely underrate his talent level because nothing he does out there screams of him winning a skills competition.

What you saw tonight is, in many ways, exactly what the Rangers are hoping develops to its highest level. Awareness, smart plays, positioning and doing things that don't get noticed unless you're actually watching the game.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he played well. I don't like us moving good centers off wing to accommodate rookies. They can do what most players do and move back to center after an NHL season or two, but if we have an opening at center, I have no problem with Andersson or Chytil filling that void. We won't have two open spots though, unless Hayes or Zibanejad are traded. I think Andersson looks more likely to be a center next season than Chytil. Both should be on the team, in the top 9 and on the PP.

Reactions: Fvital92

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I thought he played well. I don't like us moving good centers off wing to accommodate rookies. They can do what most players do and move back to center after an NHL season or two, but if we have an opening at center, I have no problem with Andersson or Chytil filling that void. We won't have two open spots though, unless Hayes or Zibanejad are traded. I think Andersson looks more likely to be a center next season than Chytil. Both should be on the team, in the top 9 and on the PP.

I think the Rangers are going to have some movement in their lines next season --- guys playing both center and wing.

Obviously that can be a good thing, or it can become a problem if things are in a constant state of flux.

But there's some flexibility there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the Rangers are going to have some movement in their lines next season --- guys playing both center and wing.

Obviously that can be a good thing, or it can become a problem if things are in a constant state of flux.

But there's some flexibility there.

I agree, but Hayes looks lost at wing, and always has in the NHL. We haven't seen Zibanejad at wing, but I think its stupid to move your 1C off wing for rookies. If Chytil and Andersson rotate at center, I have no problem with that, I just don't like what we saw today where they both "needed" to play center. Hayes shouldn't be moving off center for players in their 1st and 3rd NHL game.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Chytil imo is the right guy to move to wing. I feel like he'd benefit from the slightly more North-South type of game wingers play, and I trust Andersson's defensive abilities more
I disagree, I really like how Chytil’s game fits in the middle and think he should focus on getting better there for the short future because these next few seasons aren’t going to really matter aside from young players developing

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Loved seeing Lias' and his family's reaction after the goal... that was such a feel-good moment

I see him as a 60 point player in his prime, which is perfectly fine for where he was picked. That's not including all the other intangibles he brings to the table

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Said it a million times, but he's a Chris Drury clone with an attitude. Smart, stocky, tons of leadership qualities/hates to lose/yada yada yada

But yeah he's going to be really good as a swiss (swede?) army knife type who can pot between 25 and 35.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Said it a million times, but he's a Chris Drury clone with an attitude. Smart, stocky, tons of leadership qualities/hates to lose/yada yada yada

But yeah he's going to be really good as a swiss (swede?) army knife type who can pot between 25 and 35.

Not a bad comparison, although I think Andersson is going to be more of a physical presence. Skill wise they probably aren't too dissimilar. Drury was a heck of player in his prime though... would be tough to match

Reactions: Ola

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Not a bad comparison, although I think Andersson is going to be more of a physical presence. Skill wise they probably aren't too dissimilar. Drury was a heck of player in his prime though... would be tough to match
Drury was definitely a better skater in his prime than Lias, but like you said, Lias is likely to bring much more of a physical presence, and I think it will serve him well around the net. More like a Mike richards in terms of the physicality/skill/not high end skating combo

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Drury was definitely a better skater in his prime than Lias, but like you said, Lias is likely to bring much more of a physical presence, and I think it will serve him well around the net. More like a Mike richards in terms of the physicality/skill/not high end skating combo

Well thankfully Lias will still be improving his game...I doubt 19 year old Drury was as good a skater as Prime Drury.

Reactions: Alluckks

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think people severely underrate his talent level because nothing he does out there screams of him winning a skills competition.

What you saw tonight is, in many ways, exactly what the Rangers are hoping develops to its highest level. Awareness, smart plays, positioning and doing things that don't get noticed unless you're actually watching the game.
Hello my name is Chris Drury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->